Hanover, PA- What's it like?

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanover, PA- What's it like?

My soon to be divorced brother is considering a move to Hanover, PA, a forty minute commute from his place of work in Maryland. What kind of town is Hanover? Restaurants? Bars? Activities? Sports? Fishing?
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

bump
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 02:04 PM

It's been awhile since I was there but as I remember, it was a pleasant little hub town for the farms around it.

I think its biggest claims to fame, aside from the huge number of civil war troops who came through it enroute to destiny at Gettysburg, is that it sits astride the Mason-Dixon line and they make (or made) a lot of shoes there.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 02:32 PM

I grew up in Hanover (quite a while ago). It has become a suburb for the expanding Baltimore, but still distant. It was always a very quiet town. Right now it is the home of Hanover Industries (big mail-order warehouses) and potato chip and pretzle manufacturers. I doubt that it is exciting, but was always a nice place to raise a family.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I don't live in Hanover but often drive through the Hanover area. The positives: it's safe (the kind of area where if you forget to lock your door it's not the end of the world), quiet and peaceful, and unpretentious. No worries about keeping up with the Joneses. Also, it's a pretty area with a lot of interesting places and things to do within an hour or two drive: Gettysburg, York, Baltimore, the Catochtin Mountains, Lancaster, Hershey, etc. etc. Another important consideration is that the cost of living is a lot less than Baltimore, especially for housing.

The downside is that there's not a whole lot to do right in Hanover. In the immediate area, you won't find the big malls, multiplex cinemas, chain restaurants, or much in the way of cultural sophistication. The major employers are largely agricultural or manufacturing (e.g., Snyder's Pretzels and Utz potato chips), so there's not a high demand for a highly educated populace. The bars I've driven by on Route 30 all seem to feature country or country rock acts and attract a lot of pickup trucks.

Urge your brother to drive up some weekend and drive around the area. That will help him decide.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the responses. I have printed them out and will forward to my brother.