Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland Maine - A full belly and a tired hound. A trip report.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thank you everyone who took the time to offer me advice.

The purpose of this trip was to getaway for a few days with our Viszla, Max in tow. Spring, although certainly in the air, is not on thebranch and blossom, so we thought a city destination within driving distance would be fun. Came up with Portland as we are very familiar with SMaine, but not so much this area. I tend to talk story on trip reports, so will 'try' to condence this for usefullness.

We now LOVE Portland Maine! How ironic that Portland Oregon and Portland Maine are both known as dog towns! Here on the boards, the question is often "which portland?"

LODGING: Eastland Park Hotel was $120 night including $12 drink and $18 bfast voucher perday for a premium concierge 11th floor king room. The room certainly didn't look as good as the website but was fine for the price, good white bedding and pet friendliness. Not sure how the standard rooms are, but this was a perfect place to be in the heart of the city, with an adjacent park for the hound. The roof top bar is nice when a convention doesn't take over the hotel, or for a pre- dinner cocktail and redsox score on the flat screen tv next to the sofas.

Honestly never took advantage of our $36 worth of bfast vouchers. I know!!! But we had some foody destinations in mind, and sometimes free food, is just that. Although for future visitors, bkfast included the gammet of benedict, hash, panckakes with fruit....so the menu looked good and added great value to the room rate.

A HOUND FRIENDLY CITY.

We were walking down the street in olde portland. A shop owner came out to give our dog a bone! Twice we were on local toll roads and twice the collector took the time to offer the hound a bone. Sure, they can't do this on the interstate, but I guess at local toll booths they promote pet friendly. Breaks up their day, they really don't care if there is a car behind us, they just wait for us to roll down the window and let Max happily greet them and take the bisquit. We visited Fort Allen and aside from Memday to Labday it is a dog haven!!! We must have seen 50 dogs easy playing on the beach and walking the paths. This is a very PET FRIENDLY area and city!!!

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM

That can't be it, can it? What about food? Not what poochie Maxie ate, but you guys. Talk story all you want wahine!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Don't you hate when you continue a trip report and it disappears into the vortex?!?! Let's try again.

ADVENTURES: It was a rainy weekend so walking in the rain with the hound would get old soon. So we took a drive up north to visit Freeport on our way to Boothbay Harbour. Boothbay is a great destination as is the town of Wiscasset. Alas, the Famous Red's was still closed for the offseason, although I have heard, it is a must drive to destination clam/lobster shack. http://wiscassetnewspaper.maine.com/...ed_s_eats.html

When I was a young scrappy middle income daughter, this place was a destination one year. A little "Dirty Dancing" destination, minus the upper middleclass, Patrick Swayze. I cannot believe this place is still in operation. 30 years ago, it was an affordable middle class resort destinations for 'families with good old fashioned sense of value' http://linekinbayresort.com/history.php4

Off season, it is a ghost town of years gone by, and the empty seawater pool is as eery as a Hitchcock movie. Mrlou, said he would pass on reconnecting further with this childhood memory.

Note: Like 'Baby' I was invited to a keg party by the staff in their dorm. Unlike 'Baby' I never met Swayze.

On the way out of town we stopped by edgecombpotters.com for a looksie. Great stuff,but our head wasn't straight for thinking presents and future bridal showers. Interesting work, and like Portland, we love this area.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

ADVENTURES: Continued:

Walking Olde Portland is an adventure. So many fun stores and so many friendly people. I spoke with a shopowner with a very fodorite type debate: the difference between the tourist and the vacationer. From a shopkeeper's perspective, they are two very different things in their buying demographic. I am a vacationing tourist! I don't fit in with either category!

Olde Port is a great Christmas shopping, offseason, foodie tourist destination with lots and lots of great people, plenty of tie dye and a fair supply of angry men acoustic guitarists street musicians carrying on about.......well angst!

Fort Allen Park is so cool!!! So many dogs, so many trails, great vistas and very friendly atmosphere.

Fort Williams Park - equally cool and one could spend 10 minutes to a day exploring and hanging out. Oh that Portland Head Light!

Two Lights State Park. again many wonderful trails and vistas

Crescent Beach access road was closed. On a Sunday in april?????

Higgins Beach. Now this says no off street parking, so I have no idea what this area is like in season. But on a day like today it was pure heaven. Understand that driving by forest land and sheltered ponds, there is still mounds of snow and corners of ice.

At Higgins Beach in the cold Atlantic waters there were more than 30 surfers having the time of their life in the frigid water. What a sight! It was truly amazing and made us wonder how our hawaiin surfer friends would do in such frigid conditions. That was the most surfers I have seen in NE in any condition! What a site!!!

Good times indeed!

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Next up:

FOOD: Glorious Food......and Portland has some very fine offerings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQDllvuy1I
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Ohhh mannn!!!
We considered Portland Maine when we were still in Florida..we got skeered away by the idea of looong coool winters! brrrr...

I wish we had at least visited..
I have vowed never to make poor Pup fly but there might be hope regarding that so if we do come back with him, we will have to make a trip to Portland Maine.

now...food...lobster..make me homesick for clobsters !!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Little pup here, little pup there, little, big , medium pup everywhere dere!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:08 AM

Glad you liked our little city, even on a rainy weekend. Didn't know that we were known as a "dog city" but I am also a dog owner/lover so that's fine by me. A couple of additions:
- we only have tolls on Route 95 - the "interstate" and yes, many of the toll takers will give bones. Unfortunately, many of us now have the EasyPass system so our dogs aren't so lucky, unless we go through a drive through bank teller!
- Crescent Beach is officially closed in the off season; however, folks often park and walk in the access road, maybe 1/3 mile long. You can also drive to Kettle Cove and access the long beach from the northern end. When in Maine, its helpful to have a good map, like the DeLorme Atlas, to help discover little gems!
- The Lobster Shack, in Cape Elizabeth, is now open for the season!!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

cindyj - I had a feeling we shoulda stopped at the Lobster Shack!

FOOD:

Only mistake was passing on CAIOLA'S in favour of FORE STREET. We just really needed to knock that off the list. Hanger Steak and Butterfish were fine, just not wow and they changed out the roasted parsnip side for a couliflower/parsnip mash without bothering to tell us until it was brought to the table. I agree it is a good place for the area, but not great, a little past its prime, but can see how it was once groundbreaking.

Caiola's looked great, and the owner was real gracious when I stopped by. My instinct was to dine there, but like I said, we wanted to get Fore Street out of our way.

DUCKFAT was fantastic. Fries are worthy of a roadtrip, duck gravy a great dunk and confit duck panini was great. Nice staff.

FRONT ROOM was a grande slam. Ate at the bar an amazing scallop app with gnocchi and mushrooms and asparagus. The toasted goat cheese salad was exceptional. Everything I saw that came off the specials list looked fantastic. The rest of the menu, filled with home cooking. Nice mix for mixed pallettes. We will be back.

555 was also great. Wonderful bartender. Sinfullly rich truffled mac'n'cheese, a fantastic chocolate trio. Gracious staff and warm room.

So thanks again for all the great suggestions.

Next trip musts is a drink at Demillos - loved the touristy atmosphere of that boat! And then a trip to Flatbread - looked like a great local hangout. And of course Caiolas and a return to Front Room. By then Hugos will be open again, and some new joints will be open....it will be wonderfully confusing. Yosaku, also looked good if we're craving some sushi.

SO........ We are new fans of Portland Maine. I am sure we will head there again in the fall or maybe for a Christmas shopping trip. Friendly city!!!

THE END.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt

for single girl
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

perhaps this could be added to my profile, as it is edited
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM
yk

gyppie -

Just email the URLs of your trip reports to:

[email protected]

Katie or others will tag them as TRs and will add them to your profile.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the report. We're headed to Portland for the weekend and was hoping for a few restaurant recommendations.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Safe journey Grantham! It is a wonderful destination and a fantastic food city. There was a place by the Twin Lighthouses that seems to get good review for a seaside seafood dinner or lunch. But DuckFat....dangerous! Have a fabulous weekend in this great seaside town!
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM

I loved reading your trip report. I am a big fan of Portland and many years ago we considered living there. I was "required" to follow temps through the Winter before we made a serious foray into the idea of moving. I think I gave up the thought around 1 degree.

One of our favorite haunts in the Portland area is Chebeague Island. We love taking the little boat out to the Chebeague Inn for a night or two. It's nothing fancy but they do have a great lobster dinner as well as the big porch which is a perfect place for a G&T as the sun sets. It is also fun to walk around the island and see babies on front lawns in play pens or have folks wave as they drive by.

I am sorry to hear Fore Street seems to have taken a serious downward turn. I am making a list of places you went for our next trip.