Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hanalei Colony Resort in Kauai & Whaler in Maui

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Katie

Planning our honeymoon in October and are thinking about staying at the Hanalei Colony resort on Kauai. I know about the no phones or tv's but how are the rooms, views, beaches? Any reviews are welcome. Also staying at the Whaler in West Maui. Ditto with the reviews on this place. This is my honeymoon and I don't want to make the wrong decisions. Thanks sooo much!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:05 PM
holly

Katie -

I went to a wedding on the North Shore 3 years ago. The reception was at the Princeville Hotel, which is absolutely lovely (and expensive), but we all stayed down the road at the Hanalei Bay Resort - which everyone loved. The suite we stayed in was quite large and had a great view. If I return to Kauai I would probably stay there again. The North Shore is beautiful!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Les

We've stayed at the Whaler the past several times we've been in Maui, and it's always been very nice.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:07 PM
marvin

See http://www.geocities.com/coconutpala...onreports.html
for things to do and see at Kauai!!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Alisa

Do a search on this hotel--lots of info on this forum.
I have not seen the rooms but you can not beat the view from the hotel bar--gorgeous. The grounds are lovely, as is the pool.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Annalynn

Katie, my husband and I stayed for 5 nights at the Hanalei Colony for our honeymoon 4 years ago in August 97 and I can't say enough wonderful things about it.

My inlaws stayed at the Hanalei bay about 2 years ago, and recommend that resort as well, but in comparing our notes, I'd say we got the better deal. The Colony was more expensive than the Bay, but the views are soooo worth it - you are literally right on the water and can go to sleep with the surf. There was no A/C, but we didn't miss it in August once the windows snd doors to the balcony were open. THere is very little near the Colony, which adds to its charm. There was one restraunt with the hotel that I wouldn't recommend, but lots of stuff in Hanalei and Princeville. The North Shore is breathtaking, and staying at the Colony was a real treat, no on else around, and it really gives you the feel of being alone on your honeymoon. The rooms were nice - we ended up with a large corner unit, much bigger than we needed, and didn't use the "2nd bedroom", which was more like an open study with a daybed. After Kauai, we had moved to the Ritz-Carlton on Maui, so my memories of the rooms at the Hanalei Colony are, sadly, tainted by the other hotel's superiority in rooms. The rooms at the Colony were clean, and the bathrooms were nice, albeit a little outdated. The beaches were beautiful, but the water was a little rough for swimming - we walked along it a lot, but chose to drive a little further north for actual swimming and snorekeling.

Have a great time if you go to the Colony - its a wonderful, secluded places and waking up to the sunrise over the Pacific and falling asleep to the surf is a great way to celebrate!

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Amy

These are two totally different places - Hanalei is remote (tour buses can't get there) and the Whaler is smack in the middle of the action at Kaanapali. You will get a good cross section of Hawaii if that is what you're looking for, but I would personally spend more time in Kauai. Do you want night-life or nature? Read up - the more you know the more you'll find what suits you. I was a travel agt for 25 years - there is no right answer. That's what make the world such an interesting place!