Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hana-Maui Sea Sports - Kayaking (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hana-maui-sea-sports-kayaking-417371/)

EagleScout Aug 21st, 2008 06:48 PM

Hana-Maui Sea Sports - Kayaking

We booked a kayaking day with Kevin at Hana-Maui Sea Sports based largely on reviews in Frommer's. BEWARE! It was a nightmare. We drove all morning to get to Hana. After getting out on the water our 'guide' proceeded to go off on a politically partisan anti-american diatribe. When I tactfully indicated that neither myself or my wife or myself were comfortable with his behavior he digressed into attacking us personally and espousing grandly bizarre conspiracy theories. He then abruptly stated the trip was"over" and began to paddle into shore. Our choices being to return to shore or fend for ourselves in the Pacific, we headed to shore. Once on shore he remained frighteningly abusive towards us stating we were what was wrong with America. So, after driving all morning to get there we were abandoned by a man who had contracted to provide us with a full day of kayaking. We were then left with the drive back around the island and a full day wasted in a week long trip to Maui. Our advice would be to stay far away from Kevin and Hana-Maui Sea Sports.

auntiemaria Aug 21st, 2008 08:10 PM

Aloha from Kaua`i!

Be sure to let the folks at Frommer's know about this -- and tell whoever booked the trip for you, too.

Does Kevin own the business? The business' website is loaded with recommendations, so perhaps he was a disgruntled employee?

What a miserable experience for you!

Marginal Aug 21st, 2008 08:20 PM

EagleScout- I note this is your first post on Fodors. Why would you go through all the trouble to register and log in for this one, very derogatory post?

I think you must be a competitor meaning to trash this company. That is really disgraceful and low.

I don't believe one word of your vindictive post.

MMendoza Sep 25th, 2012 04:20 PM

We were pulled over on the side of the road a couple of weeks ago to make a phone call when a man driving a van that said Hana Maui Kayaking (or something like that) screamed at us to get off the road or he will get us off. Then he proceeded to drive toward our car as if to hit us. He yelled that we would get someone killed, but he had stopped his van in the right lane of traffic. If anyone was causing danger, it was him. Then when we drove off and turned into a driveway to let the angry screaming man pass our rental car, which he called a piece of s--t, it turned out to be his driveway. He became even more angry and even tried to open our driver's door. What was he planning to do? He said, "If I were a violent man ..." We could barely get a word in. All we wanted was to drive away and get on with our day but he would not stop screaming. Later we saw him at Hana Bay renting kayaks. If this is how he treats people I would not rent from him.