Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hana Drive, Motion Sickness?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hana-drive-motion-sickness-340005/)

sarah29 Jul 22nd, 2003 10:54 PM

Hana Drive, Motion Sickness??

I've been to Oahu about 15 times, but I've only been to Maui once 2 years ago. I really felt like I was missing something by not taking the Hana drive. I'm going to Maui again this summer & would like to know if the road to Hana is really as bad as it sounds. I get car sick very easily unless I drive. I'd like some advice from any Hana travelers. How bad is the drive (for a carsick person)? Will I miss important sights if I drive or should I pop Dramamine & take a tour bus? Are the sights really beautiful enough to risk getting sick? I would appreciate any advice (especially from anyone prone to motion sickness that has experienced the drive). Note: I was able to experience the drive along the Amalfi Coast in Italy (with Dramamine) without getting sick. Any comparisons between the two drives? I'd really like to see Hana. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

bluefan Jul 23rd, 2003 12:58 AM

Q: How bad is the drive for a carsick person?
A: Probably absolutely miserable because of the potential distance and duration. Bear in the mind that two of the leading causes for motion sickness, dizziness are (1) extreme head movements, especially looking up, and (2) intake of items that impair blood flow to the brain and inner ear (eg nicotine, caffeine and salt). When you consider that many people twist their heads constantly in all sorts of directions trying take in some amazing views from inside the car no less and drink lots of coffee to deal with the usual early start, it's little wonder to hear about many suffering from car sickness!

Q: Will I miss important sights if I drive or should I pop Dramamine & take a tour bus?
A: Obviously, you'll have more ample time to appreciate the coastal views and lush topography if you take a guided tour, but you'll still get enough enjoyment from the trip if you decide to drive it yourself. Either way works, but I haven't seen many negative posts by those who splurged for a guided van trip. ((i))
Other medications to consider are the patches, Trip Ease (supposedly all-natural and won't cause drowsiness) or those wrist bands. If you do decide to drive, be sure to make several stops along the way to hike to waterfalls or to just absorb the scenery instead of tailgating all the way to Hana and beyond. Get out of the car!

Q: Are the sights really beautiful enough to risk getting sick?
A: Yes in my opinion but do take medication. There's tons of pros and cons on this forum re "is the R2H worth it?" as you know. Instead of discussing the many merits and discredits to the trip, go form your own opinion. But please do whatever you can (eg research, lower expectations, take medication, stay overnight if possible, etc) to make it as worthwhile, enjoyable as possible.

Q: Any comparisons between the two drives [R2H and Amalfi Coast]?
A: I've had the immense pleasure of taking the drive along the Amalfi Coast this past May and can offer up some thoughts. Sorry for such a typical response but it is like comparing apples to oranges because both are visually and spiritually stunning in completely different aspects.

I'll first go into proposing that probably fewer people get sick on the drive along the Amalfi Coast ("AC") as well as a greater percentage enjoying it compared to the R2H because most tourists spend a couple hours or even a couple of nights at the picturesque towns (eg Positano, Amalfi, Ravello) along the AC instead of trying to fit it all into a day trip. As for the R2H, there's hardly any sizeable towns between Paia and Hana to stop at along the way, and Hana ain't much of a visually stunning town either...but I imagine it still has other charming aspects. Spending more leisurely time along a long stretch of coastline will tend to lead to greater appreciation.

I've got to say that nothing compares to turning that corner along the AC and getting floored by your first view of Positano. Like falling in love at first sight! Your heart rises to your throat leaving you at a loss for words. Or seeing the stretched coastline from the Belvedere of the Villa Cimbrone at Ravello; where it's hard to make a clear distinction between the azure Mediterranean Sea and the blue sky out in the distant horizon. The AC truly is a visual and spiritual marvel displaying an unrivaled, mature beauty of both nature AND man!

The R2H on the other hand reveals the abundance, the fertility of nature, some places being almost too rich (Pipowi Trail through serene bamboo forests to the majestic Waimoku Falls) that thankfully hasn't been tainted too much by mankind. Can't say the same re the other sides of Maui.

R2H is a totally different experience from the AC but equally stunning. Although it may not always seem like it, you're going through a lush, tropical rain forest (albeit far different from something you might imagine like the Amazon) for miles on end so some people may get sick of the same green foliage after a while. But then you've also got varying waterfalls and calm pools to view on top of the amazing coastline. Now I know a lot of people are ready to pounce on me and state "I've seen more impressive waterfalls in North Carolina, Yosemite Valley, Oregon, blah, blah, blah" but where else in the US will you be able to take in so many different waterfalls (practically one or more every mile! some hiking necessary) then turn your head 180 degrees and see an ocean's waves crashing against majestic lava structures.

The AC as you know has quite a bit of foliage as well as being quite mountainous...dark green matched against tall stones. Maybe some people aren't impressed with the Maui coastline along the R2H because it is darker being that it's all cooled lava...light to dark green matched against nearly black. Anyways, I digress...

As for the road comparisons, expect the R2H to have many more twists and turns as well as elevation changes (although the AC has the harrowing narrow road up to Ravello) and many more narrow spots like one-lane bridges. If you go past the Seven Sacred Pools, you'll also encounter unpaved roads and miles of potholes where the driving can be considered fun or a pain in the butt (literally) depending on your demeanor at the end of a long day.

Thankfully, the R2H also lacks many of the features of the AC: SITA buses honking at every corner, suicidal Italian drivers and scooter riders (although some of the Maui locals will blow past you right before you get on one of those many one-lane bridges), and those expensive ceramic shops where girls can do some serious damage. I was going to add vino or limoncello-imbibed drivers as well, but you've got the maitai lovers on Maui as well. :S-

Now on a very important subject dear to my heart or actually stomach, the dining options along the R2H absolutely pale in comparison to the excellent seafood, pizza, pasta and Mozzarella di Buffalo along the AC, BUT the R2H at least has a savior in Mama's Fish House. I'll consider it a sin if you don't stop by there!

One other contrast between the AC and R2H roads, some people may consider driving the R2H to be less stressful because most of it occurs somewhat inland from the coastline and not quite as elevated whereas you know how scary it might appear along the AC to the unitiated when you get close to the edge of the road and see the sheer drop. Some of the things the R2H has much more of are turnouts (oftentimes for trailheads) along the road as well as parking spots in touristed places. So utilize them, but venture away from the crowds if at all possible.

Sarah, go do the R2H and form your own opinions and comparisons. And keep in mind that many of methods you might have applied to really enjoy the AC will probably apply on the R2H as well (eg taking it all in at a leisurely pace rather than as a hurried daytrip, trying to mix in with the locals/natives, venturing away from crowds/traffic when you seek peace, etc). Enjoy your 2nd visit to Maui!!! 8-)

anony Jul 23rd, 2003 01:46 AM

Hi, I feel for you, I know several people who have similar reactions. I live on Oahu and have done the Hana trip several times. It is quite a beautiful drive, very scenic, with the road winding past numerous picturesque (though small) waterfalls, lush vegetation, and plentiful 1 lane bridges. Unfortunately, the road does wind. A lot. My friends with whom I have gone on it with have gotten, at the least a headache. The dramamine may help though, and it is a really nice drive, take a lot of film.
Another option is the West Maui drive, the one that goes around the "head" of the island (If you visualize the isle as a bust). The road is not quite as winding, and the views of the coast and bays are really nice. Its not as lush as Hana highway, but beautiful in its own right. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

olivia Jul 23rd, 2003 07:21 AM

Anony,

How can you say the West Maui drive is not winding? In my opinion, it was even more nausea-inducing than the rest of the Road to Hana. There were times up there that I thought we would fall off the side of the mountains, there were one lane roads almost the whole way and many times there was nowhere to pull over when another car was coming they were nice and experienced enough to back up a little for us tourists.

Mommar Jul 23rd, 2003 08:14 AM

If this is helpful, all three of my kids got nauseous and the baby actually got sick. Wish they'd all taken some dramamine but even the kids said it was worth it for jumping in the waterfalls, picnicking on the black sand beach, etc.