Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hampton Inn, Washington DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hampton-inn-washington-dc-1135537/)

POWERPUFF71 Oct 10th, 2016 10:08 AM

Hampton Inn, Washington DC

Hello,
I am interested in staying at the Hampton Inn @ 1729 H Street NW. Washington DC.
What neighborhood is this considered? how safe is it after dark for 2 female tourists? food recommendations walking distance? walking distance from the Mall or train recommended?
Any recommendations for the week between Christmas and New Years?
thanks

Christina Oct 10th, 2016 10:23 AM

I don't think that neighborhood has a name, it's practically dead center and just considered central/downtown DC. It's only a few blocks from the White House, after all.

It's a pretty safe area given it is so central and a lot of people are around there a lot of the time (workers, the EOB isn't that far away, etc.). Because how late were you intending to be walking around? I think there is always some risk in bigger cities, and crime is correlated with the hour, that's the way it goes. It seems a lot of the street muggings, etc., I read about in "Safe" areas (ie, around Dupont Circle, etc). happen after midnight. They don't usually happen at 6-9 pm. But for DC, it's safe, sure.

Just to get to the Mall, go straight south, it's about 2/3 of a mile. It's about a mile to the Washington Monument, for example. But it's only about a block or so from both Farragut West and North metro stops, also. It really depends where you are going as to whether I'd walk or take the metro. Also, check out the circulator bus if you want to do things around the Mall.
http://nationalmall.dccirculator.com/#route-anchor

Old Ebbit Grill is very close and I like it, an old standby.
http://www.ebbitt.com/

It really depends what kind of cuisine and price poitn you want. There are some high-end good restaurants around there because a lot of business people may be dining around there (Bombay Club, Equinox, for example). But you can get to lots of places in a few minutes by metro from that location.

obxgirl Oct 11th, 2016 10:05 AM

Perfectly fine area to stay in -- downtown between the White House and George Washington University. More active during the day than at night. FWIW, I live in half time in Foggy Bottom next to GWU.

It's not a residential area (like Dupont or West End) so the people who are there at night will be like you, returning to a hotel or going to/from a restaurant or club. Overall it will be somewhat less active b/c of your timing between Christmas and New Years. Many who work in the area will be off that week and there will be far fewer students in residence at GW.

Founding Farmers is good place to eat w/in a five minute walk from your hotel. Circa Foggy Bottom and District Commons are 10 minute walk. The Dupont Circle and West End neighborhoods are packed with places to eat and are a 15 minute walk.

In general, I'd say you're good to go. If I were recommending an area I'd point to something more residential.

Janeyc215 Oct 11th, 2016 10:31 AM

I was in DC last year and to we stayed in Capital Hilton, 1001 16th St., NW. It's really close to the White House and other sites. Lots of places to eat near by, including Old Ebbitt Grill. Here is what we did that saved us a lot of money was to pay a little extra for the executive room. This gave us access to the executive lounge for complimentary breakfast, snacks and evening hor d'oeuvres. Bottles of water were always available, which is something that is hard to come by when you are sightseeing. It was very safe. It is a great hotel with helpful and friendly staff. Enjoy!

kja Oct 12th, 2016 05:12 PM

As others have said, it is a safe neighborhood with easy access to restaurants, metros, etc. That said, I would not choose to stay there because I like a place that is livelier and more interesting in the evenings and where the nearest restaurants are a bit less pricey. obxgirl has, I think, given a good description of the area, and Christina has, I think, accurately noted that while there are some great restaurants in the area, most are on the expensive side. Your call.

Seamus Oct 14th, 2016 11:39 AM

Know it well - my group has an office in the same block. It is maybe a bit boring but safe, easy access to Metro and loads of quick and easy places to eat. It's a newer property, a renovation of an old building that was done pretty well. Standard Hampton decor and services. Cross H and walk a bit on 18th, turn left onto Pennsylvania for several casual food options that get packed with local workers at lunch. Custom Fuel Pizza at 1747 Pennsylvania is a perennial favorite. Walk the other direction on 18th a block to the Farragut West metro station - and a Pret a Manger location. Food trucks line up on 17th at Farragut square.

Second obxgirls's nod to Founding Farmers. Not cheap but not outrageous, very popular so you may want to reserve.

There is another Hampton Inn over near Chinatown/Convention Center that I have used and been pleased.

BigRuss Oct 14th, 2016 01:17 PM

<<I am interested in staying at the Hampton Inn @ 1729 H Street NW. Washington DC.
What neighborhood is this considered? how safe is it after dark for 2 female tourists? food recommendations walking distance? walking distance from the Mall or train recommended?>>

Have you mapped it? The location is thisclose to the WH and near Farragut North and Farragut West WMATA stations. It's a good location and not far from the Mall (< 1/2 mile) and only about 5-6 blocks from the South Lawn and the National Xmas tree.

kja Oct 14th, 2016 08:06 PM

Seamus is right that there are a lot of affordable lunch options in the area. As someone who doesn't eat lunch, I was thinking about dinners.