Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hampton Inn Beulah in Flagstaff - train noise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hampton-inn-beulah-in-flagstaff-train-noise-685345/)

karens Mar 6th, 2007 05:07 AM

Hampton Inn Beulah in Flagstaff - train noise?

I have been reading reviews on tripadvisor and everyone who stays in Flagstaff seems to complain about the noise of the train whistles all throughout the night.

Has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn on Beulah in Flagstaff and were the trains a bother there?

yotefan37 Mar 6th, 2007 10:51 AM

Karens;

I attended college in Flagstaff, and remember hearing the trains nightly. The west side of town is bordered by hills, and the trains enter the city on the hillside, so you can hear the whistle echo throughout town. I actually liked hearing it at night, and I missed it when I moved away! :)

Of course, I always like hearing a <i>little</i> atmospheric noise when I'm traveling (horns in Paris, sirens in NYC, revelers in NOLA), it reminds me that I'm on an adventure, away from home!

I've never stayed at the specific property you mentioned (I lived within a 1/2 mile of there), but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it is a big concern, you can try one of the properties on the east end of town (ie Little America). Hope this helps! :)

karens Mar 6th, 2007 11:56 AM

Thanks, yotefan. So is Beulah the west side of town and the west side is the &quot;noisy&quot; side?

yotefan37 Mar 6th, 2007 12:19 PM

Karens;

Sorry, my post was a little confusing...the trains actually travel the entire length of Flagstaff. I've always thought I could hear them better because of the echoes off the hills on the west side of town.

I've never stayed in East Flagstaff, so I'm not sure if it's less noisy, but the hotel you asked about is at the west end of town. If you google the address of the hotel and click on the map, you can see the path the RR tracks take (basically along Rt 66, Sante Fe Ave) bisect the entire town.

I do have to wonder if the reviews you've read aren't exaggerating - I've never had anyone who visited me in Flag complain about the noise at night.

I hope this was some sort of help…clear as mud?? :)

Jeannie Apr 8th, 2007 09:22 AM

topping -- anyone else? We too are choosing a place to stay for one night and are wondering the same.

DebitNM Apr 8th, 2007 09:29 AM

We stayed at Fairfield and were not bothered by trains. I post a trip report on Flagstaff; I talked about hotel.

Debi

mrwunrfl Apr 8th, 2007 09:41 AM

I stayed at the Residence Inn in Flagstaff. It is on the eastern edge of Flagstaff at exit 201 of I-40. It is about a half mile south of the interstate, The RR line is north of the interstate by about a third of a mile.

My room was on the north side of the hotel and it was plenty fare enough from the highway, with buildings in the way, that there was no noise from the road. No noise from the tracks, as I remember. The whistles were not a problem and did not disturb me.

If you stayed at the Residence Inn then you might ask for a room that faces south (away from the RR). Or on the north side of a hotel that is north of the freeway.

karens Apr 8th, 2007 01:50 PM

Hi all. We were in Flagstaff last Wednesday. I am usually affected by noise in hotels - I did not hear the trains in our hotel - the Hampton Inn on Beulah. This was actually a very nice hotel, and I'd recommend it.

We paralleled the train tracks on the way in, and there were lots of hotels on the road along the railroad. The other Hampton Inn appears to be only blocks from the train tracks.

judyhm Apr 9th, 2007 08:31 AM

We stayed at the Hampton Inn East at exit 201 off Hwy.40.just last week--near the mall. We did hear the trains, but they seemed to stop during the night. Either that or the bed was so comfy they didn't bother us. We also had a dellicious Mexican meal at La Fonda on the recommendation of the desk clerk. Very busy, very authentic casual restaurant. And near the hotel.
(Word of advice--never leave home without ear plugs!)