Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Halibut fishing charter from Homer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/halibut-fishing-charter-from-homer-522676/)

BayouGal Apr 20th, 2005 06:41 AM

Halibut fishing charter from Homer?

Would you please recommend a Halibut fishing charter out of Homer that you enjoyed and would recommend? This is our first trip to Alaska, and we will be there at the end of May. We are not sure who to book with and need your help once again. Thank you!

BudgetQueen Apr 20th, 2005 12:47 PM

There are many excellent charters. Determine also how long you want to go out for? size boat, etc. Listings at the Homer web site.

BayouGal Apr 20th, 2005 06:52 PM

Thanks, BQ. I am glad you are willing to try to help those new to Alaska travel! I sure appreciate the invaluable advice you always provide!

Gilbert Apr 21st, 2005 07:04 AM

BayouGal,

I have done halibut charters with the following -:

Lucky Pierre Charters
Silver Fox Charters
Captain Mike's Charters

They were all good and I could recommend all of them. We limited out each time. They were all day trips, left at 7am and returned between 3pm and 5pm. The boats were all comfortable (with an inside "head").

I only have half a dozen pieces of halibut left in the freezer, so am already planning 1 or 2 trips for this summer.

Have fun and don't forget your raingear.

Gilbert

BayouGal Apr 21st, 2005 07:51 AM

Thanks, Gilbert! I was hoping someone would give us some specific businesses where they have been pleased by the service.

And we've just about broke the bank buying Gore-tex for our gang! ;-)

tlbooz Apr 21st, 2005 09:07 AM

We used Winter King last summer. The boat is a new catamaran. We had 4 in our party and there were 3 crewmembers. Boat had lots of room to accommodate 4 people fishing at a time. We limited out on Halibut so we then went down rigger fishing, which turned out positive as well. Stayed at the Alaskan Suites. Highly recommend Alaskan Suites because there is a grill on the back porch to grill your fresh caught halibut.

KarenL Apr 21st, 2005 09:09 AM

We went with Captain Mikes last June. The crew was wonderful and the boat was not packed. I would highly recommend them.

mikemo Apr 21st, 2005 01:05 PM

One of the very best and certainly funniest fishing article I ever read was published in Sports Illustrated many years ago. It involved catching a large, very aggressive Halibut which literally tore the boat to pieces once "landed".
Bon Voyage.
M

BayouGal Apr 21st, 2005 06:15 PM

Thanks, tlbooz! We will be staying at Alaskan Suites while in Homer. Several folks here have said it's a great location and has lots of amenities. The proprietors recommend Winter King, also.

Looks like another vote for Captain Mike's. Thanks, KarenL!

Mikemo, that's exactly what we're hoping for! ;-)

meregayle May 5th, 2005 11:45 AM

Silver Fox is a good outfit. Took two trips with them and had a great time. 110 pounder the second time!
Have a great time!