Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Half Moon Bay, where to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/half-moon-bay-where-to-go-722520/)

kay7683 Jul 20th, 2007 11:16 AM

Half Moon Bay, where to go?

I'll be spending one day in Half Moon Bay. What is the best beach to lay on and get a good lunch with some cute shops or local scenery?
Thanks for your help!

StuDudley Jul 20th, 2007 11:28 AM

What time of year???? From June through mid-Sept it's mostly foggy. There are clothing optional beaches in that area - any interest there??? Will you have a car???

Main street has lots of shops. There are several cafes on Main St. Just north of HMB, we like Sam's Chowder House for lunch. Nice outside veranda with heaters, and great views from both inside & outside. Good for dinner also.

Stu Dudley

kay7683 Jul 20th, 2007 11:31 AM

It'll be early August. We'll have a car but would really like to park, enjoy the beach and walk on some boardwalks? And I'd prefer to keep my clothes on. =) How far north is Main St?

StuDudley Jul 20th, 2007 11:46 AM

70% chance it will be foggy in Aug. There are lots of beaches in HMB. Right "in town" take Kelly St west (naturally) to Francis Beach - which is quite long.

Drive south to see the prettiest section of coastline & lots & lots of beaches that you can explore. There are several parking lots along the way - you won't have any trouble finding them.

There are not any boardwalks along the beaches in the area - too cold & foggy. Main St is on the east side of Hwy 1. You will probably want to drive from the beach to Main St.

Stu Dudley

razberrysmom Jul 20th, 2007 12:11 PM

Just went camping in HMB. Some days were hot, others chilly. All the beaches are nice...not very crowded either. We stayed in our RV at Pillars Point (hated the RV park), but it's close to the wharf. We would walk with our 2 year old to the restaurants. Try Half Moon Bay Brewing Company...Friday & Sat. nights they have live bands. The food was great, outdoor has heaters...we had lots of fun.

StuDudley Jul 20th, 2007 12:18 PM

For clerification, Pillars Point is not in Half Moon Bay - but close. It's in Princeton, with the small towns of El Grenada & Miramar between Princeton & HMB. It's about 4 miles from Main St in HMB to Princeton. There is a Marina there, with a few restaurants, but no shops, as I recall.

Stu Dudley

nevermind Jul 20th, 2007 02:42 PM

We like Pasta Moon (on Main Street) for lunch. In the same building you can find some cute shops, including a great card/stationary shop and a nice book store.

jtrandolph Jul 20th, 2007 02:56 PM

By "walking on boardwalks" are you referring to the 'boardwalk' in Santa Cruz. This is the "Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk" which is a retro amusement park, celebrating its 100th anniversary. Santa Cruz is about 50 miles south of Half Moon Bay.

iamq Jul 20th, 2007 03:44 PM

Regarding beaches. I would suggest driving south on 1 until you get to the intesection with 84. At that point as you continue to drive south on 1 there will be a series at state beach parks every few miles that would offer great beachcombing and wonderful scenery.

mowmow Jul 20th, 2007 07:42 PM

If the Fish Trap is still in HMB, have lunch there. Their calamari is superb, and the shark steaks are grilled to perfection.