Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Haleakala--is the trip up worth it for sunrise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In most guidebooks they all say this is MUST DO. Just wondering if it is really worth it to leave so early and freeze my butt off...If we went later in the day is the scenery good ?? Just wondering if we should make the trek while we are there...
Linda
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM

You have to go for sunrise. It wouldn't be that intersting later in the day. I went kicking and screaming against my will because hubby really wanted to go. Afterwards, I can say it was worth it!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I've only been for the sunrise & it was great.

But, if you do a search on this & other forums, many will say that sunset is also good & also mid day is good.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM
TahitiTams

Aloha LindaSus..
I have done this at sunrise where I left my room at 2am from Napili area and it took about 3+ hours to get to the top and it was freezing and cloudy and we didn't see the sunrise because it was overcast and the only redeeming quality about the whole thing was eating breakfast at the Kula Lodge on the way down the crater..IMO it was not worth it but I have seen the incredible photos at sunset and it does look stunning!
I think you should definately visit the crater but if you do go, take the blankets from your hotel/condo!

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditto to what TahitiTams said. We got up at a ridiculously early hour (which is borderline heresy when on vacation), drove for what seemed like forever, ran into all kinds of traffic near the mountain due to the others who "had to see the sunrise" which added gobs of stress as to whether we would make it "on time", and then when we reached th magic spot, we raced to the crater's edge and saw clouds, lot and lots of clouds. And it was COLD. Not the highlight of our trip. I guess it's hit or miss. I don't think I'd try again for sunrise. Some other time would be perfectly fine.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We didn't go for sunrise because no one in my family wanted to get up in the middle of the night OR drive in the dark up that curvy road.

We went mid-morning and it was amazing (still darn cold though, bundle up!).

I have never been at sunrise (and never will) to be able to compare the two experiences.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:18 PM

We did the sunrise thing the first day of our trip. Flying into Maui mid afternoon and with a four hour time difference it was not hard to go to bed really early and we were quickly awake when the alarm went off at three a.m.
Of course I left my jacket on the kitchen table as I went out the door. Being a cold weather hardened Canadian it was quite satisfying to see the folks around me huddled in their blankets while I stood and watched the sunrise in my T-shirt.
All in all I did't think the experience at sunrise was all that much better than a previous trip in the middle of the day.
If you do go make sure you leave in good time because the people that get to the summit a bit late for the sunrise are forced to park at a lower parking lot quite a distance from the summit.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM
jd

The concierge at our hotel last week told us sunset was just as good as sunrise, so we went for the sunset. It was nice driving up while it was still light out. There are a few nice places to get out and do short hikes (get the Maui Revealed book). It was cold (40*) and windy at the top, but the scenery WAS definitely worth it. Oh, and stop at Sandalwoods for lunch on the way there.You can eat outside on their wide deck and enjoy great views.
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/maui/D32692.html
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM

We went at 9 am. Still amazing, though not as special from what I hear about the sunrise and sunset. Yes, do bring jackets.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 03:48 AM

We left Kihei at 7.30am and got to the summit about 2 hours later, having decided to go on the spur of the moment as the weather was very clear that morning.

It was one of the highlights of our trip to Maui... the landscape and views are incredible. We hiked part of the sliding sands trail. The colours are amazing up there.

I am actually glad we didn't go for sunrise as it sounds like it is very crowded and I certainly couldn't do the early morning wake up call!!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 04:48 AM

We've been to Haleakala 6 times - never at sunrise. Have we missed anything ? Perhaps, but it was not sleep Seriously, you never know about the weather up there but every single time we have been it has been crystal clear (despite hitting some rain going up on occasion). The views are stunning. If you do not want to get up at 2 a.m. and drive in the dark on a winding road (it's a good road, but still it is curvy) then leave about 8 a.m. like we have.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:01 AM

I have not been for sunset but we did do the 2 am trek for the sunrise. I have to admit it was the best sunrise I have ever seen and I am up for sunrise just about everyday!
Next time we will try sunset but I will really tempted to do sunrise again. As someone who loves to mess with photography you wont find better light than sunrise or sunset for your pictures.
For our sunrise day we went on a Saturday and had breakfast afterward before heading down to the Saturday market in Kahului and stopped at Iao Needle on our way back to Lahaina which made for a great day!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM

YES. The best way to do it is take a downhill bike ride as part of the deal. After sunrise, bike down the mountain. One of the highlights of our trip.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM

No, it is not worth the middle -of-the-night, frigid trip up following the pack, and will almost always be cloudy. DO THE SUNSET!! Go up late p.m., see the crater colors, bring a picnic, park in one of the west-facing pullouts, and be stunned. (Then drive down a route you got familiar with on the way up, and encounter absolutely no crowds or bicycles!)
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:24 PM

I went for sunset and it was spectacular. But ... it's not an easy drive. You're right on the edge with no barrier, so if you're not a morning person, you might not want to do the drive.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM

DH refused to get up that early so we went midday. It was a bit cloudy, very brisk but I still enjoyed the sights. However...I hate curvy roads and my husband likes to go faster than I am comfortable with so after that harrowing drive I nixed another all day curvy road trip to Hana. I will do that next time instead of Haleakala!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:10 PM

We did make it for sunrise and it was wonderful. We had just flown in from NYC, so we were very jet-lagged making the 3am wake-up relatively painless. For us, it was was worth the trip.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 06:46 AM

To me, it was 'worth it' just to see what all the hype was about. The colors of the crater constantly change as the sun ascends higher and higher.

That said, I was pretty 'wasted' the rest of the day. The cold & wind & early rising made me bleary eyed the rest of the day...well, at least until we went back for a nap.

I would not feel like I 'missed it' by going near sundown (leave time enough to walk the trail a bit)and watch the sunset.

We did not find the drive challenging at all. Perfectly good roads. Just no street lights, lol!