Haines - Juneau, should I take my car across?

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Haines - Juneau, should I take my car across?

I am taking a driving vacation to Alaska. My plan includes a stop in Juneau. I am looking at two options:

1.Drive to Haines and park the car at the harbor, and take the ferry to Juneau and use local transportation in town. Cost, ferry for 2 people around $148 plus cost of local transportation.

2. Take the car on the ferry to Juneau and back. Total cost $320.

Any recommendations on the best plan?

ZfromWinnipeg
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I am not concerned about the cost difference between the two options, but more about some unforeseen disadvantage of taking the car. Any one done Haines - Juneau crossing?

Z
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Why not take the ferry up (or down), get off with your car wherever you want, and drive back the Alcan (or up).
If you are going to Southeast, there are several towns I would want to see - Ketchikan (maybe), Juneau, Sitka and Skagway - Haines is less attractive to me (other than cutting off 8 hours of driving - or whatever that shortcut is).
SE is out of the way for most tourists unless that is your general destination. How long are you going to be on the road?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Yes, we took our car from Haines to Juneau, and also to Skagway, but that's because we also got off in Ketchikan and went on to Bellingham.
If your plan would be to then take the car back on the ferry to Haines, I say forget it. First it would probably be cheaper to rent a car in Juneau, than transport one on the ferry. It's also a real pain to line up the two hours or so early with your car each time, when if you don't have a car, you can just walk on to the ferry, pretty much last minute.

We did use our car in Juneau to drive out to the glacier, but it sure would have been pretty easy by the bus, I think. There's not a lot of use for a car in Juneau.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. I will be driving from Whitehorse and Haines was selected as the shortest link to Juneau. This is my second trip to Alaska and I will be spending up to 4 weeks and will be covering much of Alaska. the suggestion of not taking my car across is beginning to make sense.

Z
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM

You neither need nor want a car in Juneau. It is small and compact. We walked everywhere except to the Mendenhall Glacier and that is easily and quickly reached by the special Mendenhall Glacier Transit bus, at a cost of $6,

(Don't get on a $22 "tour". You don't need a tour of the glacier. The interpretive center is excellent with interactive exhibits and scopes trained on the glacier. You stay as long as you wish and catch the next MGT from the parking lot. They leave about every half hour.)
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

We took our car on the ferry to Juneau and we are glad we did. It provided great flexibility and convenience. We had more options as to accomodations and shopping and could more easily reach locations of interest not easily accesible by public transportation. Considering the savings on accomodation, local transportation, and food we are convinced that in the end the cost of taking the car on the ferry was offset by savings in Juneau. Even if the cost was to be higher the convenience is worth any extra expense.

Z