Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Gypsy on Broadway: does Bernadette Peters perform every night of the week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to find a good Broadway show to see on a Monday night when many theaters are dark. I was delighted to see that Gypsy is one of the shows that plays Mondays. But now I'm wondering --- surely Bernadette Peters must take a night off? Does anyone know if the Monday night performance is the regular cast? I've emailed the ticket seller but don't really expect to get a response. Also, if anyone has recommendations for a Monday night show other than Gypsy, I'm all ears. It must be suitable for a 12 year old girl, which for me rules out Cabaret and maybe Chicago.
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes she's there. A respiratory infection had her miss a week's worth of shows but now everythings fine and you can bet they don't want her missing any more shows ($$$).

Gypsy is dark on Sundays.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:37 AM
AC

Hi:
I just saw Gypsy on Wednesday 5/28 for the matinee. The show was great. Bernadette Peters was definitely under the weather. She was coughing alot and when she spoke it sounded as if she had a cold. Her singing was good though you could tell she was struggling. The box office told the gentleman in line in front of me that she does not perform every night and if she does not perform he would be entitled to a refund or replacement tickets.
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:56 AM

We just saw Gypsy on Monday night and it was a complete waste of money and time. Bernadette Peters should have stayed at home and nurse her cold, she was just terrible. At the end of the show, we felt very sorry for her because she could not even say a word, let alone sing. Tamy Blanchard provides a much needed spark at the end of the show but I think at that point it is too late. What a lame show!!!!!!!! Save yourself 100 bucks and see something else.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:06 AM

I would say you should rule out Chicago with a 12 year-old, I just saw it on Sunday it was great, but very adult themed. Probably too much for a 12 year-old.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:21 AM

I would recommend Beauty and the Best. It's not just for childern I am 28 and really enjoyed the show.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Forgot to add hitshowclub.com has discount tickets to Beauty and the Beast.
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:36 PM

So sorry to hear that Bernadette is under the weather...Hopefully your theater plans are not so quick that she won't be well again. In normal health, she is fantastic and Gypsy really a terrific show for all ages!!I'm quite a theater buff myself and it would be a 2 thumbs up recommendation...once she gets her voice back.