Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Gulf Coast verses DR or Cuba in Jan. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gulf-coast-verses-dr-or-cuba-in-jan-743406/)

warrsher Oct 17th, 2007 01:19 PM

Gulf Coast verses DR or Cuba in Jan.

I have been to Porta Plata,Dominion Republic but I am wondering about Gulf Coast of Texas/South Padre for a January Beach vacation.Is it warm enough or should we stick with DR or Cuba etc.
Warren

volcanogirl Oct 17th, 2007 01:35 PM

Padre will be cool in January - probably in the 50s and 60s.

bettyk Oct 17th, 2007 02:40 PM

Maybe global warming will help you with this one, but normally it's too cold in January along the Gulf Coast for a beach vacation.

I'd stick to the Caribbean or Cuba.

warrsher Oct 17th, 2007 04:37 PM

I thought it may be too cool. Thanks,I guess we will stick to Cuba or DR
Warren

volcanogirl Oct 17th, 2007 06:34 PM

Good idea - Padre is better suited to the summer months.

warrsher Nov 3rd, 2007 05:20 PM

Hi
I am back on about South Padre Island again. I really want to check out that area and the Gulf coast of Texas.I am thinking of moving the dates ahead and maybe fly into Houston late February and spend 10 days driving a rental car from there down to South Padre and back to Houston. Just touring and sight seeing would be fine with me. I don't have to have swimming on the agenda.It looks like the daytime temperatures could be in the 70's How does this sound to anyone who knows the area especially from the last week of Feb on?
Warren

P_M Nov 3rd, 2007 07:26 PM

The last week of Feb might be OK but do not go there in March. There will be Spring Breakers galore and if you're over 25 you greatly outnumbered by loud, pary-hearty kids. I learned the hard way. :-(

Houston is about 370 miles from S Padre and it's a long, boring drive. It would be best to fly into Harlingen.

volcanogirl Nov 4th, 2007 07:36 AM

I would think it would still be pretty cool then, probably mid-50s to a high of 70. The weather is unpredictable that time of year though. We had a hard freeze in Houston during February last year. For me, I'd rather go later in the year, but if the weather is not a factor for you, then go for it.

I totally agree with P_M about skipping March. As someone that went to Padre in college, I don't think anyone but a college kid would want to be in that atmosphere. We went to Galveston in April, and it was still pretty chilly and windy, but we got kites and flew them along the beach, and still had a good time. Are you interested in Galveston too? The beach is not that pretty, but the Strand area is really nice - historic buildings with some good shopping, nice restaurants, and Moody Gardens is great. There's also a lot of old historic mansions you can tour like Bishop's Palace and Moody Mansion. Good hotels too.

warrsher Nov 4th, 2007 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info. Guess I will put Padre on the back burner again.
I am 60 so will retire in the next 2-5 years so maybe wait till then so I can go any month of the year. Thanks again.
Warren

dfr4848 Nov 5th, 2007 05:17 AM

Warren - my 2 cents: as said, the average low is 55 and high of 70 for Feb. But it can certainly vary. Air temp would probably be very nice, but water likely on the cool side. However, FWIW there's a reason thousands of "snow birders" from the Midwest spend winters in the Valley.

Would agree with P_M that you'd be better off flying into Harlingen or Brownsville. The drive is not spectactular from Houston and it is long. Although, it is prime season for the migratory birds at Aransas National Refuge (near Corpus Christi) if that's of any interest to you. You could fly into Corpus then drive from there.

volcanogirl Nov 5th, 2007 08:20 AM

Warren, it sounds like you really want to go; I would hate for you to wait years to take this trip - maybe you should just go for it! :)

P_M Nov 6th, 2007 03:48 AM

warrsher, I hope we haven't talked you out of coming. I really think you'll be OK in late Feb and the first week or so of March. Spring break in TX is usually the second or third week of March. As for the weather, what's cool to a Texan will be very pleasant for a Canadian. Please come down if you can.

volcanogirl Nov 6th, 2007 08:46 AM

Yes, I thought you might push your trip back to later in the year to ensure some nice warm weather, but if you're going to put if off for years, then come on down. We Texans don't know what to do if it's not 90 degrees out. :) You would probably love it.

warrsher Nov 16th, 2007 01:54 PM

My oh my you are a hospitable bunch. I hadn't checked back in the last 2 weeks thinking I may wait but you have fired up my interest again. I will keep it in mind for late Feb. 90 is too hot for me anyway. I really do appreciate all the help on this site.I have travelled to Newfoundland,Canada & Arizona & Australia all using this site and have had wonderfull help so thanks again and keep up the good work.
Warren

volcanogirl Nov 16th, 2007 02:31 PM

I'm glad you're reconsidering - our weather is just a little wacky. Earlier this week, it was 89 degrees, and today it was 40 degrees. I think you'll be okay in late February - let us know how everything goes. :)