Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Guided Fly Fishing Info Needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/guided-fly-fishing-info-needed-741583/)

mystar Oct 8th, 2007 04:19 PM

Guided Fly Fishing Info Needed

My Son and I would like to spend 2-3 days with a guide. He lives in Orgian and I live in North Carolina. We would fly to the location and enjoy the time together

starrsville Oct 8th, 2007 06:02 PM

I would start here -
http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?dir_i...p;subject=1723

starrsville Oct 8th, 2007 06:03 PM

And I would pick Montana -
http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=1070

starrsville Oct 8th, 2007 06:05 PM

And, this one really sounds like a winner -
http://www.longoutfitting.com/testmonials.htm

odie1 Oct 8th, 2007 07:05 PM

mystar- When are you thinking of making this trip? Are you intersted in fishing from a boat or wading or it doesn't matter. Do you need an outfitter or do you have all the gear already? Are you looking for an all in one type place, that is a lodge that is geared towards fly fisherman? Slatwater or freshwater? Can it be in Alaska or Canada? These might help some give you a better idea of where to start looking. I could definitely throw out some suggestions but to have some more information would be helpful.

Pegontheroad Oct 8th, 2007 07:40 PM

Montana!

mystar Oct 9th, 2007 04:46 AM

Odie1-We would like to fly fish this spring in the continental US. A lodge that supplies everything would be best as we are both fairly new at this and don't have our own gear. We would need instruction from a guide and would want a guided trip to assure fun and success. Thanks for your help.

starrsville Oct 9th, 2007 04:51 AM

mystar, I strongly recommend Montana. Check out the links above. I can ask someone who still goes out to Montana each year, but the guide service they use may be very pricey. Orvis is a great starting point and there are several lodges listed on the link.

Depending on the time of year and how you want to fish, you may want to consider the Box Canyon of the Snake River.

starrsville Oct 9th, 2007 04:58 AM

We used to use Island Park, Idaho as a base for week long fishing trips. The "boys" would head off for day-long fishing trips and I'd head into Yellowstone for the day. IF you haven't seen Yellowstone yet, I'd strongly recommend it.

I can check on personal recommendations for guides in Montana, but they may be pricey. I'd still start with Orvis.

I'll bow out now.

odie1 Oct 9th, 2007 10:27 AM

mystar-

My husband and I are avid fly fishermen so I happen to have the names of a few lodges in various locations. You didn't mention price but if you plan on having a full service lodge, chances are it is going to be fairly pricey but it is certainly worth of penny of it.

You mentioned spring but that could mean snow depending on how early and where, so take that into consideration.

Idaho:

www.tetonridge.com
www.henrysforklodge.com
We have stayed here and it was fantastic or you can always stay in and around Island Park and hire a guide from Henry's Fork Angler's (another good source for more outfitters in Idaho).

Montana:
www.pawsup.com
www.papoosecreek.com
www.mtnsky.com

Wyoming:
www.brookslake.com
wwww.southforklodge.com

And you always have the option of staying in or around Jackson Hole and hiring an outfitter from snake river angler (www.snakeriverangler.com) we have also done that and it was great!

New Mexico:

Might be more reasonably priced-
www.sanjuanfishing.com
www.sanjuanriver.com

New York:

www.beaverkillvalleyinn.com
www.westbranchangler.com
www.troutbeck.com

Idaho was amazing for us as we fished the legendary Henry's Fork box canyon one day and the Madison the next day. Two totally different fishing experiences. The only tip I would give on that is don't sign up to fish the "Railroad Ranch" as it is brutal fishing, even for experts but especially for novices. A starrsvile mentioned Island Park is close to YNP but if you wanted to take a guided fishing tour in the park you could also probably do that and base yourself out of west yellowstone.

I didn't include any places in Florida for bonefish, tarpon, permit, snook, etc but I am sure those could be easily located by googling "florida keys fly fishing." We have yet to fish the Florida flats opting for the flats of Belize instead.

There is also amazing saltwater fishing for striped bass out of Long Island New York. There are a few outfitters from CT as well but predominantly they come out of NY.

Housatonic Outfitters in Cornwall, Connecticut also is a great place to check out.

Let me know if I can be of any other help. Fly fishing is an amazing sport-the beautfiul places that you can go...

wliwl Oct 9th, 2007 05:03 PM

My son fishes avidly, but often in far northern Canada.

He went to the Yellowstone Valley Ranch this summer and really liked it. (My dad pays for these trips!) The fishing was not as good as Canadian hinterlands, but he had a wonderful trip and excellent food. (It's all catch and release though.)

He said the guides were excellent (although he doesn't hang around with them).

http://www.yellowstonevalleyranch.com/

odie1 Oct 10th, 2007 05:44 AM

wliwl is right. just about every reputable outfitter practices catch and release and most of the true dedicated, passionate fishermen practice it as well. Make sure you have a camera ready though because photos are a definite!

odie1 Oct 10th, 2007 06:20 AM

mystar- just a note on wliwl's post about not hanging out with the guides. Once you find the place you are going and have gotten hooked up with a guide, don't even for a minute consider not wanting to hang out with them. Most of them are unbelievably interesting people, who have a real passion for what they do and the nature they work in. Many in the west work there in the summers and then head to Chile or Argentina for the winters and have amazing stories to tell. My husband and I have made many friendships from our guides, especially our guide in Belize, and we have learned countless lessons from them. They certainly take an interest to those people who they think are there to experience the whole package, not just there to catch the biggest fish they can to take home and hang on their wall. So if you can try to befreind one, sit down and have a drink with them, or even buy them dinner and you will see that almost all these guys will make an impression on you that will last a lifetime.

wliwl Oct 10th, 2007 04:07 PM

Odie is right - the guides are amazing (or so I hear). But hey, we're talking about a 20-year old here who's been offered guide jobs - he is really good and has been fishing since he was 2 (obsessively, I might add). And besides, 20 year olds know everything, right? LOL

Dayle Oct 10th, 2007 04:39 PM

mystar,

Don't forget that northern UT also has world class fly fishing! I work with a lot of people who are fanatics and several of my neighbors fly fish in the creek behind our homes.

There are several guide services operating in the Park City area. I have no idea of the rates, but it might be less than Montana. If you stayed in Park City, you could have your choice of condos, lodges and hotels. Plus spring is low season rates.

Just a thought!