Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grown-Up Weekend in Philly? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grown-up-weekend-in-philly-617779/)

bk123 May 23rd, 2006 07:52 AM

Grown-Up Weekend in Philly?

Our daughter's staying with Grandma, and my husband and I will be spending a grown-up weekend in Philadelphia in June. We'll be there Friday-Monday, staying at the Sofitel. We have dinner plans Friday and Saturday and a daytime wedding on Sunday, but otherwise, our time is free. Sightseeing recommendations for Friday and Saturday? We're interested in historical sites, but have also heard great things about the art museum and something about an Italian market? Any guidance is much appreciated! P.S. We won't have a car...

astein12 May 23rd, 2006 08:56 AM

The art museum is really good, even if you're not a big painting/sculpture fan. They have arms and armor and a wide variety of stuff.

Walk around the historic area. You can hit Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Carpenter's Hall and the Betsy Ross house in a half-day. There is a new visitors center that has walking tour maps. You can also hit the US Mint in the same area.

The italian market is a neat area to walk with some nice places to eat.

If you have time, go to the Reading Terminal Market (a neat set of food vendors in the old train station).

Have a cheesesteak!

buongiorno May 23rd, 2006 09:55 AM

Where are you having dinner?

I would plan on going to the Constitution Center, The Philadelphia Art Museum, The Rodin Museum and take a walk through the Italian market on 9th street ON SATURDAY. You'll have to take a cab to get to the Italian market. If you're into food and cooking, stop at Fante's for kitchenware. Go to DiBruno's or Claudio's for cheese and go to Talluto's for pasta and olives. You could also stop at Sarcone's for bread or go to Termini's or Isgro's for cannoli.

bk123 May 23rd, 2006 10:10 AM

All the Italian goodies sound wonderful -- we'll definitely put that on the itinerary! Dinner on Friday night at Le Bec Fin (sp?) Saturday night is the wedding rehearsal dinner. Thanks for the great ideas...keep 'em coming!

Jed May 24th, 2006 05:52 AM

You will be on 17th St. You <b>must</b> walk to Broad St, down past the Academy, to the Kimmel, and go in. Also up and around City Hall. ((*))

Le Bec Fin? Make sure your tummy is empty and your wallet is full. ;;)

elmom May 24th, 2006 06:10 AM

don't worry abt a car - cabs are plentiful in town. Better than the Italian Market is Reading Terminal Mkt. It's an indoor farmer's mkt in an historic train shed. If teh weather is nice, you can walk from yr hotel,(17th down to 12 and 2 blocks over) or take a cab to 12th and Arch Street.

TKT May 24th, 2006 09:39 AM

Old City is about a 15 minute walk from your Hotel, the Art Museum about 20 minutes. Check on line for any place you plan to visit. Lines can be long and the post-9/11 process can be long at historic sights in cities, such as Independence Hall. Three Blocks from Independence Hall on 3rd and Market Street you will find a row of restaurants with outdoor seating, Pizzacato is my favorite.

The Art Museum might be closed on Monday.

buongiorno May 24th, 2006 12:14 PM

I really beg to differ that the Reading Terminal Market is &quot;better&quot; than the Italian Market. Different yes, better no.