Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grown-up luxury getaway in Florida in February (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grown-up-luxury-getaway-in-florida-in-february-663007/)

jjersey Dec 7th, 2006 01:32 PM

Grown-up luxury getaway in Florida in February

Help! My wife and I are looking for a quiet, luxurious, civilized (but not stuffy) week-long beach vacation in southern Florida in mid-February. We want a hotel that is NOT kid friendly, has really excellent service, and isn't too scene-y/cheesy (i.e., we're not at all drawn to South Beach). We want seclusion, but access to civilization (my wife is pregnant and will want to be able to satisfy any weird convenience store food/McDonalds cravings that might strike her). We're willing to pay in the $500-700/night range. We generally like smaller to mid-sized hotels, and don't care for the mega-resorts. Any suggestions?

wow Dec 7th, 2006 02:03 PM

The Breakers in West Palm

starrsville Dec 7th, 2006 02:07 PM

The Four Seasons in West Palm. It is EXACTLY as you describe.

wow Dec 7th, 2006 02:08 PM

Or, Ritz Carlton(Key Biscayne/Bal Harbor...fly into Miami)

jjersey Dec 7th, 2006 02:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. May I ask the people who recommended the 4 Seasons in PB and the Key Biscayne Ritz--I've read some reviews saying these places were crowded and in some cases jammed with kids (and that the 4 seasons was alittle beat up). Not true in your experience?

starrsville Dec 7th, 2006 02:39 PM

I just love the 4S at West Palm Beach.

First of all, you are going for a week during mid-Feb. Unless that's a school break week, I doubt you will see kids.

I've gone for a week at a time in July. In full, prime, family vacation season I rarely saw kids.

The hotel is small and U shaped. In the middle of the U is the pool. I've spent many an hour in the middle of the day, getting misted and wet, scented facecloths and drinks brought to my chaise - and not a kid in sight.

The food is GREAT. Casual beachfront restaurant. Pool bar. Two more restaurant options. Great lobby bar with munchies available.

Well worn? Not when I was there.

What do I like best about it? The quiet, casual elegance. I feel like I can shuffle through the lobby wearing any attire and remain comfortable. I do NOT feel the same way at the Breakers or the Ritz. I just love the ambiance and the staff.

I just love it. Can you tell?

wow Dec 7th, 2006 02:49 PM

I just thought of another place that you may like. Lago Mar in Ft. Lauderdale. They have an "adult" pool as well as a kids' pool. I did not mention it at first b/c I had forgotten about the adult pool. Also, it's not really "luxurious" ( the lobby is bizarre actually) but the beachfront location is wonderful. Close proximity to great restaurants. If you do go to LM, make sure you get one of the newer rooms/suites.

Honoria_Glossop Dec 8th, 2006 02:49 AM

Just FYI, regarding the Breakers...I've stayed two times in the past year and each time it was over-run by kids and indulgent parents.

Here's my rec for south Florida. In mid-february it is worth it to get as far south as possible to increase your chances of beach time.

Grove Isle Resort and Spa. On a private island from Coconut Grove you have all the advantages of Miami, Coconut Grove but you are in a quiet, secluded tropical resort.

The spa is lovely and Baleen is one of the most beautiful restaurants you could ever want.

http://www.groveisle.com/default.aspx?pageid=home

I can't think of a closer match for what you requested. Honoria

Callaloo Dec 8th, 2006 03:15 AM

If you're willing to get away from the beach for part of your trip, I would highly recommend a few days at the Marquesa in Key West.

While Key West can be pretty honky-tonky-cheesy (especially when the cruise ships disgorge), the Marquesa is an oasis, with elegant rooms ranged around a spectacular tropical courtyard festooned with orchids and graced with two pools. The adjacent restaurant (Cafe Marquesa) is one of the best in town. The courtyard has a no cellphone policy, so it is truly a tranquil retreat.

The inn is located at the corner of Fleming and Simonton Streets, so you have easy access to whatever on Duval Street may tempt you (only a couple of blocks away) or satisfy your wife's cravings. Once the cruise ship daytrippers leave, you've got the run of a quaint, funky, historical, laid-back little town, most of which is within close reach.

Key West is not about beaches, but the best beach in the Keys -- Bahia Honda --is about a 30 minute drive away.

GoTravel Dec 8th, 2006 05:51 AM

Anywhere in Florida from February 16-26th will be over run with kids. That is President's Week break.

ccrosner Dec 8th, 2006 05:57 AM

I've never been but I've heard that Little Palm Island in the keys is very exclusive and I think they won't allow kids. But I will second what others have said: Florida may not have beach weather in February....

mclaurie Dec 8th, 2006 06:16 AM

I agree that almost anywhere you go during President's week will have kids, possibly with the exception of HG's Grove Isle Resort and Little Pine Island.

Cheeca Lodge might be another option. While they may be kids, there's an adults only pool and a day camp for the kids. http://www.cheeca.com/index.asp

NeoPatrick Dec 8th, 2006 06:23 AM

Your title and then your description calls for one answer -- Little Palm Island -- with no children allowed. But it will run about $5000 for a three night stay in February. Of course, that's all inclusive. Is that a possibility?

LLindaC Dec 8th, 2006 07:02 AM

Wouldn't you hate to pay that and have 50 degree weather? We cruised out of Miami in Feb once and it was that cold. Of course, if she's craving Mickey D's, that might not be a good option! My vote goes to the Ritz Carlton in Naples. I love that place! The shopping and restaurants in Naples are great, too.

sobster Dec 8th, 2006 07:11 AM

You might consider South Seas Resort on Captiva. It's so big that if kids are there yu might not see them.

lindam Dec 12th, 2006 12:28 PM

Look up The Pillars in Ft. Lauderdale at Tripadvisor. Very classy and elegant. Doesn't appeal to families. One of our most favorite places!

emcash Jan 5th, 2007 04:40 AM

My Husband and I demanded our deposit back and walked out of the Breakers as soon as we saw our "ocean view" room for which we were paying approx 500 a night. We went directly to the Ritz Carlton in Palm Beach (really Manalapan) and LOVED it. The next year we stayed at the Four Seasons and enjoyed that as well, BUT in my opinion, it is not the prettiest FS. The service is fantastic, the pool is very nice and the food is great, but the "look" of the hotel is not what you might expect from a FS. Whether you stay at the Ritz or the FS in Palm Beach, you will need to either rent a car or constantly take cabs to get into Palm Beach, so all things considered, we prefer the Ritz (which is going through a major renovation right now-- we thought it was gorgeous pre-renovation.)

We LOVE the Ritz Carlton in Naples and love the town of Naples. Again, the RC is a 15 minute or so drive from the center of naples, so again either rent a car or cabs. The Spa at the Ritz in Naples is Amazing and they have their own private pool if you get a treatment.

I have heard great things about the Cheeca Lodge and Little Palm Island, but i think then you might have issues with the cravings issue.

Wherever you go, I hope you have a great time.

nina Jan 5th, 2007 04:58 AM

No doubt about it, Little Palm Island. The only obstacle might be cost but it's everything you're looking for.

nina Jan 5th, 2007 05:00 AM

Also, we found the Ritz Carlton Naples to be stuffy, especially in the evening when it seemed to be expected that men would wear jackets. Not our idea of a vacation.

It's a nice place though, if you don't mind doing the dress-up thing.

nina Jan 5th, 2007 05:02 AM

I should really gather all my thoughts before I post...Ritz Carlton's have a great kids program, Ritz Kids, and they appeal to families. Just FYI, mid-February is PRIME school vacation week.