Group Lunch in Champaign, IL?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family will be traveling to Champaign, IL this week for a family member's funeral. Because no one in the family still lives in Champaign, we need a gathering place for all the out of town family and close friends to gather for lunch after the service.

We need a casual restaurant with great food (not fast food), decent prices (under $10/person), and plenty of space for a group of 20-30 people to eat and then mingle.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Cindy
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM

August 04,
Is there a particular cuisine that you had in mind? American fare, Italian, mexican, etc... That will help to make recs.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Great idea...
We'd prefer American or possibly Italian.

Thanks, japw82.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM

You could check into Pickles on Neil Street. Pickles is a locally owned restaurant that serves American food and would fit your price range, I think. Not sure about space for 20-30 people, but you could call and ask.

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM

I second Pickles. Biaggi's (Italian) will take a reservation for a large group. Go to Biaggis.com click on Champaign to view the lunch menu and phone number to make lunch reservations.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. Does anyone know anything about Jim Gould's on Neil/Main? Looks like they have a lunch buffet and great atmosphere from their website, but would love feedback from a local.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:58 AM

August 04,
Where did your group dine in Champaign? Please leave feedback!! I love to try new places when I am in Champaign.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay! Thanks again for all the feedback. We ended up going to Kennedy's at Stone Creek. They were able to accommodate us in a private dining room (no extra charge) and had a menu printed for guests with four options.

Room: Perfect for a family/friends gathering. There were 5 or 6 round tables, close enough together that we all were able to mingle and share stories. The room overlooked a golf course, which provided a great view!

Food: I was pleasantly surprised at the food quality. Since we ended up going with fixed menu options, I was a bit skeptical (group "luncheons" don't always taste great). The salad was very fresh, pretty much your standard mixed greens side salad. I had the Chicken Breast Sauté, which was fantastic. It was a light and flavoral lunch entree with roma tomatoes, basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, and penne pasta.

Price: Very reasonable. I think it was $11-14 per person with included an entree, salad, rolls, coffee/tea, tax, & gratuity. A bit higher than my original post, but for the type of private lunch we ended up having, it was well worth it.

Service: Excellent. Surprisingly so...whenever the gratuity is pre-paid I tend to experience mediocre service. Not here. Drinks were consistently refilled and servers came by with extra rolls throughout the meal.

Overall, I'd definitely recommendation Kennedy's. They helped create a memorable lunch after a difficult event: kennedysatstonecreek.com

Thanks again for the Pickles and Biaggi's recommendations, we often drive through Champaign, so now we will have some new dining options!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM

August--Kennedy's is wonderful! Glad you had an enjoyable time under the circumstances.