Grocery and toiletry shopping in Boston area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to find out where one would go to find a nice grocery store or supermarket in the area around Tufts Dental School. We will have a van, and can drive, if necessary to a store outside the city.

Thank you!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Tufts Dental is at the edge of Boston's Chinatown and the theater district, not far from Downtown Crossing. It's a very comercial area, though less so now that students from Emerson are moving into the area. Your best bet for everyday grocery shopping is to ask the students where they go. No problem shopping for toiletries, howver, there's a CVS on every corner. For serious stocking-up shopping, there are some big box stores just a short way down the Southeast Expressway in Dorchester in the South Bay Plaza.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 06:41 PM

There's a new Shaw's supermarket that opened up in the Prudential Center. If you're looking for prepared foods or gourmet products to might try Marche (I think that's the name of it) also in Government Center. Otherwise, there are some Trader Joe's around, and I believe that there is one on Beacon Street. You can also go into the North End (good luck finding a parking spot) and go to the butcher shops, bakeries, etc. There are also some specialty shops on Beacon Hill, although, I don't remember the names of them. There are also a lot of small Chinese supermarkets in Chinatown, which is across the street from Tufts Dental School. You'll also find the basics in these supermarkets, along with a lot of produce, beef, fish, and chicken.

Otherwise, drive out to Newton, Needham, Malden or Braintree, where you'll find a Star Market (owned by Shaw's), Shaw's and Stop and Shop. The 3 major supermarkets do double coupons.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great replies. Gonna print them out and add them to our growing pile of things to take with us.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:07 AM

There's also a Stop & Shop on Cambridge St (kinda near Mass General Hospital) that's closer to the Dental School than the Shaw's at Prudential, but the Shaw's at Prudential is much easier to get to. Just across from Hynes Convention Center on Boylston (v. near the Prudential building) is a Trader Joe's, and there is a bigger Trader Joe's on Memorial Drive that actually has parking.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:12 AM

And for toiletries, I second the opinion that you're best bet is popping in to one of the ubiquitous CVS and Walgreens stores that litter the city. There are also some Osco drug stores, I think.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:28 AM

The Osco chain is now part of Brooks. But it's true, they're at every corner that doesn't already have a CVS or Walgreens.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:55 AM

Oops ... Marche is in Prudential Center, not Government Center.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Anonymous: That explains why I never see Oscos anymore and they used to be all over.