Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grocers in Kauai Offering Food Alternatives for Food Allergies (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grocers-in-kauai-offering-food-alternatives-for-food-allergies-612058/)

Jen12345 May 1st, 2006 09:47 AM

Grocers in Kauai Offering Food Alternatives for Food Allergies

Hi. My hubby and I are going to Kauai from May 13-23, 2006. I have a lot of food allergies (no wheat, gluten, sugar, dairy, etc.) and need access to a grocer or coop that offers alternatives such as rice bread. We purposely planned on staying in a condo (south shore) so we can cook our meals accordingly. Needless to say, we will not be eating out much. If anyone could give suggestions, it would be much appreciated. I do have a list of some coops, but I'm not sure how extensive their selection will be. Thanks!

auntiemaria May 1st, 2006 10:55 AM

The biggest "health food grocer" on our island is Papaya's -- original store is in Kapa`a (Safeway area, but behind the whale tower), and they opened a new one in Hanalei a year or so ago. Great selections at both stores.

You're staying in Po`ipu? Your drive to the Kapa`a Papaya's will be 30 minutes or so.

Also try the "natural foods" sections at Big Save and Foodland -- not huge, but pretty good for mainstream island grocery stores.

Jen12345 May 2nd, 2006 11:45 AM

Thanks auntiemaria. That info really helps alleviate a lot of problems for me. I appreciate your time. Only 11 days to paradise!!!

Kal May 2nd, 2006 12:51 PM

Auntie M,
Wasn't there a place similar to Papaya's in Ching Young Village that may also fit the bill?

Long way but during exploring ventures Jen could stock up by buying a cheap ice chest.
She'll probably have to get up to Kapaa for good grocery shopping anyway sooooo....

I seem to recall the bakery in Kapaa across from Oly Cafe, Country Moon Bakery <i>maybe</i> making a healthy bread like that?

ELEVEN MO' DAYS!!!! :`( :`(

auntiemaria May 2nd, 2006 07:48 PM

Kal:

The Ching Young place shutdown once Papaya's opened their beautiful new store right across the street (ouch!). The old health food store is now the great Robin Savage place -- chockful of irristable items. Robin also owns Savage Pearls just two doors down (the best place to shop for authentic Tahitian black pearls on our island!).

You and da missus will be here soon??? Wu-huuuuuuu! Let's _definitely_ get our schedules to mesh this time, 'kay? Bob and I will buy the first round!!! 8-)

suzanhh May 2nd, 2006 10:47 PM

Kauai is all about health, don't worry they will take good care of your needs, some of which I share.

jamaltay May 2nd, 2006 11:03 PM

AuntieM.........Kal is lying again, he won't be there in eleven.....BUT, we will be there in 21:D. EAT YOUR HEART OUT KAL! HAHAHAHA!:))
((D))8-)

Kal May 4th, 2006 05:53 PM

I'm not lying. I'M CRYIN'...because Jen had only 11 mo' days!!!

I'm still in the 200s!!! :`(
:'(

jamaltay May 4th, 2006 07:04 PM

I'm sorry, my mistake#-o I'm such a moron:((

BTW, 20:D

((D))8-)

Jen12345 May 5th, 2006 10:24 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions...9 days to aloha!!!

Kal May 5th, 2006 11:11 AM

Why did I EVER start the &quot;Krazy Kal's Krowing Kauai Kountdown&quot;?

:`( :`(:`( :`(:`( :`(

jammer,
No prob. Mrs. Kal tells people I should come with a syllabus.

Jen....have a GREAT time. ~:&gt;~:&gt;~:&gt;

CaliNurse May 5th, 2006 06:24 PM

Hi Jen. Not exactly a grocer...but how 'bout local farmers' markets? There used to be one in Koloa--anyone know if it's still there?
--that'd be near your South Shore condo. There are other locations (eg Hanalei) that are farther to drive but may have even more variety.
Happy and healthy eating!

auntiemaria May 6th, 2006 07:04 AM

Koloa farmers market is Mondays, at Koloa Ballpark. But these are not certified organic goods, if that is important to you Jen.