Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Greenwich Village or Soho clothing store recommendations for teenage girls (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/greenwich-village-or-soho-clothing-store-recommendations-for-teenage-girls-789602/)

jerseysusan Jun 11th, 2009 06:05 PM

Greenwich Village or Soho clothing store recommendations for teenage girls

My daughter's 16th birthday is approaching. She would like to go shopping in NYC with a few friends. They would love to browse in boutiques featuring sixties style clothing similar to what she saw last year in San Francisco and Venice CA. I am sure they would be happy in the Village or Soho. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jerseysusan Jun 13th, 2009 04:58 AM

Still hoping there are hippie style clothing experts out there. I've done a lot of googling but need some advise. Thanks.

mclaurie Jun 13th, 2009 11:01 AM

I don't think there are any vintage stores that specialize in 60's stuff. Beacon's Closet in Williamsburgh Brooklyn is a large vintage store and I they've opened another store in Park Slope Brooklyn.

travelbuff Jun 13th, 2009 12:16 PM

There's a large "vintage" store that opened recently on 5th Ave close to 30th St. I think they would like that one, as the window was very 60's the other day.

There are a few stores on 18th St from Broadway to 7th that they might like too.

In Herald Square there's Daffy's and H&M for better clothing and Conway for very inexpensive jeans and tees.

jerseysusan Jun 13th, 2009 04:29 PM

Thanks for the advise. Maybe we will have to shop in areas I didn't expect to.

SueNYC Jun 13th, 2009 05:11 PM

hy not take them to see Hair instead!

mp Jun 13th, 2009 06:30 PM

The vintage store mentioned above is Cheap Jacks (http://www.cheapjacks.com/) and yes, they do have a wide selection of 60's and 70's clothes - but prices are VERY high. It is a great store and lots of fun - and is a nice way to start a stroll down lower 5th Avenue (south of 23rd St), where your girls will find lots of chain stores such as Free People, Anthropology, H&M, Daffys, Victoria's Secret, Limited Express, Gap, Armani Exchange, Benetton, Juicy, etc. - kind of an upscale mall.

If you use the NY Magazine website (www.nymag.com) for its listing of vintage stores, you may find others that suit your interest/neighborhood.

jerseysusan Jun 13th, 2009 06:43 PM

SueNYC - the thought has crossed my mind. I would love to see Hair. I haven't been to a show for a while.

mp - thanks for the info. When my daughter first wanted to shop for "hippie" clothes I never thought it would be such a problem. I know she really likes the Free People label - but not the prices.

rmw555 Jun 13th, 2009 07:20 PM

Are they *only* interested in vintage/hippie stuff? Regardless, I'd find some time to walk around the Nolita area (just east of Soho) - there are loads of interesting small clothing and jewelry boutiques, plus good dining options. Because rents have risen so much, Soho's become more dominated by chain stores (J Crew, Armani Exchange, Banana Republic, DKNY) and high-end stuff (Burberry, Prada). Another neighborhood to try might be the East Village.

jerseysusan Jun 14th, 2009 04:01 AM

rmw555 - No the hippie clothing does not have to be vintage. However we were hoping to avoid chain stores. My original idea was for them to browse through boutiques so they could avoid the same old stuff you see everywhere. My daughter mentioned the hippie angle as she loved what we found in CA.

Margo_Chester Jun 16th, 2009 04:42 AM

Not to hijack, but can someone recommend where to shop in the East Village? I haven't spent much time there and would like to do some shopping. We are looking for small independent stores/cafes, not the chains that sadly have invaded Soho. We like everything from home accessories to funky jewelry to gift type places to books stores etc., If someone can give me a few favorites streets or shops to check out that would be great - our time there will be fairly limited and I don't want to be wandering aimlessly missing the "good stuff" lol

williamscb13 Jun 16th, 2009 05:14 AM

East 9th street has some cute shops on it. St. Marks Place (8th street) is more restaurants, there may also be some shops on 7th street.

I want to also second NoLita particularly Mulberry, Mott and Elizabeth.

You can easily walk from the East Village to NoLita.

ellenem Jun 16th, 2009 05:16 AM

East 11th St between 2nd and 1st avenues, closer to 1st, has some interesting clothing shops, a few of them consignment shops that may be of interest