Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Greenville restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/greenville-restaurant-156404/)

Ginger Feb 7th, 2002 03:58 AM

Greenville restaurant

We are looking for a place to take our grandparents who live in Greenville for lunch on Easter. Someplace other than cafeterias, where they spend most of their meals, is what we are looking for this year.

Danna Feb 7th, 2002 01:20 PM

Greenville is a town FULL of terrible restaurants. And most of the only-slightly-bad restaurants would be closed on Sunday. If I were up for the drive, I would consider Highland Inn in Flat Rock, NC (about 45 min from G'ville) for their Sunday brunch. make reservations. Sorry no more help.

Where's Gramps and Grams? Feb 7th, 2002 01:25 PM

What state?

Ginger Feb 8th, 2002 09:04 AM

Danna: You and I feel the same about the lack of decent food. That is why I tried this site. I have called the Chamber of Commerce previously, and we ended up at a hotel with an expensive buffet with horrible food. I do not mind expensive as long as the food is worth it. <BR><BR>(South Carolina)

xxx Feb 8th, 2002 09:24 AM

Anyone ever go to Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, Mississippi?

tsteele93 May 26th, 2006 01:32 PM

Wow, this forum is interesting. I had no idea that I have been eating cruddy food for the past 10 years.

Here's my take on it. I mean no disrespect to those of you with such discerning tastebuds, but I would suggest that you think for a moment about yourself. Do you find it difficult to find good food most of the time? If so, then you may be &quot;more discerning&quot; than most people.

I personally consider myself to be quite the fan of food. My waistline supports me in this opinion of myself, although it does not support other things - like my pants. I have to wear a belt for that. Anyway, I digress.

I think there is plenty of good food to be found in Greenville if you aren't - how can I say this nicely - an elitist snob (?) when it comes to food. I keed, I keed.

Ok, here is a list of restaurants I think you can get a good meal. Some are chains, but I believe that contrary to the opinions frequently expressed here, you can get good food from a &quot;popular&quot; place. (But I also listen to popular music on the radio and like and drive a domestic car and think it is just fine and while I think I can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi and slightly prefer Coke, they're not different enough for me to care - just to give you an idea about how I think.)

Chophouse 47 - excellent steak, expensive.
The Peddler - excellent steak and everything else, not cheap.
Stax Peppermill off Haywood Rd at 385. Excellent food, expensive.
Irashai on Pleasantburg near 385. Very good sushi. Eat there several times a month.
Casbah - downtown. Tapas bar, good food and good wine list but pricey.
Lemongrass, Thai downtown and reasonable.
Sobys and O are good.
Gerards in Greer, very pricey but very good italian.
Mr. Salsa - CHEAP mexican place off Woodruff Road.
Travinas, good but EXPENSIVE italian on Woodruff road.
City Range on Haywood Road is a little pricey, but very good eating.
Augusta Road has some nice places, but I don't get over that way enough to know them all.
Mimi's Cafe in Greenridge, chain - but good.
Frodos Pizza, not &quot;fine dining&quot; but good pizza.
Mellow Mushroom downtown.
Barleys is good downtown.
Actually, Main Street has lots of neat little eateries.

We also have the usual suspects and some pretty decent ones like Flat Rock, Bonefish, Carabbas, Outback, etc...

I'm sure that I have left out dozens and dozens of places I just haven't been to before.

My point is that I have read through most of the Greenville posts and if you had never been here, you'd think it was going to be a horrible dining experience. I disagree with that very much.

Sincerely,
-Tom Steele

Ackislander May 27th, 2006 04:57 AM

Which Greenville? Original poster does not say. One poster referes to SC, another to Mississippi. I am confused but have experience in both.

Pat2003 May 27th, 2006 11:05 AM

Original message was posted in February 2002!!!!!!!!!
Things do change in four years. Besides, Ackislander is right. Which Greenville?
Greenville, SC
Greenville, NC
Greenville, AL
Greenville, UT
Greenville, RI
Greenville, DE
Greenville, ME
Greenville, VA
Which one?

Litespeed_Chick Jun 12th, 2006 08:19 AM

Greenville, South Carolina

Tom, what are you doing searching up a 4 year old post?

Yes, you have been eating crap, and yes I am an elitist snob when it comes to food.

Peppermill, Irachai, Frodos, Mellow Mushroom , Outback, Carrabas...all nasty.

Soby, O, Gerard....totally mediocre and no where NEAR worth what they cost.

May I humbly (ok, not really) suggest:

33 Liberty
Devereaux
Doc Chey
Tsunami
Sushi Koji
Island Blend (on Main Street)
Pho Noodleville

Yes, actually things have improved a bit in the last 4 years...I still can't think of any place to have a good Easter brunch, though.

If this is Tom from H &amp; T show, I enjoy and appreciate your attempts to stand up for common sense in today's polical debate.

ReedMesser Jul 11th, 2006 11:01 AM

Oops, cut myself off. As I was saying, the Havana Tropical Cafe is pretty good if anyone wants to venture out and try something new. I've taken a poll of randoms and everyone seems to think Cuban food is like hot Mexican cuisine. Not so. It's actually Spanish food with a touch of Carribean. And it's pretty good. So check it out. Even though this whole thing started from brunch, looks like we've all hit on everything under the sun except brunch. Oh, I did hear Elegant Gourmet in Simpsonville has alright brunch as well. Maybe Blue Ridge Brewing Co., but I've never been. My top choice, as I said at the beginning, would be the funky Bohemian Cafe. See ya.