Greenville, Bar Harbor, Camden Maine

Old Jul 27th, 2020, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenville, Bar Harbor, Camden Maine

Heading to Maine in 3 weeks. We live in NH, so we are good with respect to COVID19 restrictions. Here's the plan...advice appreciated. Also looking for some casual dinner options on Mount Desert Island. No need for lobster since we live in New England.

Tues - drive to Greenville. Check in to Moosehead Cottage Resort, evening moose tour via canoe thru Northeast Whitewater
Wed - whitewater rafting trip thru Northeast Whitewater. Maybe grab dinner at Monson General Store.
Thurs - visit the B52 crash site, then head to Bar Harbor. Stop at Stutzman Farm and Butterfield Ice Cream on the drive. Check in to the Hampton Inn Bar Harbor for 5 nights. Bar Island Trail at evening low tide.
Fri - hiking day, drive to Cadillac Mountain with telescope in the evening (weather permitting)
Sat - free morning, the kayaking from 1-5pm
Sun - more hiking
Mon - Schoodic Peninsula day
Tues- head south, visit Fort Knox, hike Mt. Battie, stay in Camden?? Or Rockport.
Wed - head back home to NH, stopping in Bath to visit the Maine Maritime Museum and Maine's First Ship. Stop at Portland Head and grab some food from Bit into Maine. Arrive home.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old Jul 27th, 2020, 01:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like a great trip! We tend to eat at lobster pounds so can't help you with food ideas. I like Rockland alot -- The Farnsworth Museum is great and lots of nice restaurants there. I find Camden way over touristed and never have seen the charm. Mt Battie has a nice view It was so muddy when we did it, we aborted and ended up driving up, but still a nice view. We did do a great Sky Night run by the NPS a coule years ago in Acadia. If you are into that check out the schedule assuming they are doing it this summer.
I'm going to tag along as we have a trip to ME planned in a month or so.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Farm in Greenville for takeout, pizza and bbq and salads. Flatlanders Pub for the broasted chicken and fresh-cut fries. Or the fresh haddock.

The Happy Clam Shack in Bar Harbor for mussels, clams, haddock, crab....homemade rolls and homemade blueberry pie.

Udder Heaven Ice Cream for the blueberry cheesecake, lemon gingersnap, coffee oreo or Whoopie Pie ice cream

Peekytoe Provisions for Whoopie Pies

Mount Dessert Bakery on Cottage Street for the Mother Stuffin' Thanksgiving Sandwich, Blueberry Crumb Pie, Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookie ...and good breakfast sandwiches with local sausage. Also blueberry coffee cake and Whoopie Pies and blueberry cheesecake and okay I'd better stop now .

Peter Trout's Tavern for casual dinner near Southwest Harbor. Quietside Cafe looks like "just" an ice cream shop but they have great lunch and dinner food too. Not sure if either of these is currently still "takeout or curbside only".

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Jul 27th, 2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yestravel
Sounds like a great trip! We tend to eat at lobster pounds so can't help you with food ideas. I like Rockland alot -- The Farnsworth Museum is great and lots of nice restaurants there. I find Camden way over touristed and never have seen the charm. Mt Battie has a nice view It was so muddy when we did it, we aborted and ended up driving up, but still a nice view. We did do a great Sky Night run by the NPS a coule years ago in Acadia. If you are into that check out the schedule assuming they are doing it this summer.
I'm going to tag along as we have a trip to ME planned in a month or so.
We decided to book the Glen Cove Inn in Rockport. We're going to try to add in the Owls Head Transportation Museum.

The NPS only has their calendar out thru the 15th, so I'll check back again next week.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
The Farm in Greenville for takeout, pizza and bbq and salads. Flatlanders Pub for the broasted chicken and fresh-cut fries. Or the fresh haddock.

The Happy Clam Shack in Bar Harbor for mussels, clams, haddock, crab....homemade rolls and homemade blueberry pie.

Udder Heaven Ice Cream for the blueberry cheesecake, lemon gingersnap, coffee oreo or Whoopie Pie ice cream

Peekytoe Provisions for Whoopie Pies

Mount Dessert Bakery on Cottage Street for the Mother Stuffin' Thanksgiving Sandwich, Blueberry Crumb Pie, Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookie ...and good breakfast sandwiches with local sausage. Also blueberry coffee cake and Whoopie Pies and blueberry cheesecake and okay I'd better stop now .

Peter Trout's Tavern for casual dinner near Southwest Harbor. Quietside Cafe looks like "just" an ice cream shop but they have great lunch and dinner food too. Not sure if either of these is currently still "takeout or curbside only".
I really want to try The Farm but they aren't open on the days we are in town. It seems many restaurants are closed Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll check Flatlanders hours.

Udder Heaven is definitely on the list....love ice cream. 😊

Just read reviews about Peter Trout's and that fried chicken sounds amazing

Last edited by rizzo0904; Jul 27th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 05:29 PM
J62

We like BP's oysters in Damariscotta.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 05:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J62
We like BP's oysters in Damariscotta.
Yes! They are good and Darmariscotta is a cute little town to wander about. Round Hill ice cram has an outlet or factory there I think.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glen Cove Inn is fine, but it's not on the cove it's on the main drag, and right next to the local hospital. Some rooms do have a distant water view I think. Tiny bathrooms, There IS a nice walking path behind the property that takes you past the hospital and closer to the water. Good choice if you want to be between Rockland and Camden.

If you'd rather be closer to everything in the village of Camden, at around the same price range I can recommend Towne Motel, Blackberry Inn, The Inn at Camden Place.
Or outside of the village a mile or two, but actually on the water, Glenmoor-by-the-Sea or the High Tide Inn.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
Glen Cove Inn is fine, but it's not on the cove it's on the main drag, and right next to the local hospital. Some rooms do have a distant water view I think. Tiny bathrooms, There IS a nice walking path behind the property that takes you past the hospital and closer to the water. Good choice if you want to be between Rockland and Camden.

If you'd rather be closer to everything in the village of Camden, at around the same price range I can recommend Towne Motel, Blackberry Inn, The Inn at Camden Place.
Or outside of the village a mile or two, but actually on the water, Glenmoor-by-the-Sea or the High Tide Inn.
If we were staying multiple nights, I'd worry about location. We're basically just sleeping there one night. It has a pool for the kids and it looks clean. I will keep those hotels in mind for future trips that stay longer in that area.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 01:30 AM

Did you check into lighthouse cruises with Bath Maritime Museum? I checked recently that they are running but with fewer passengers. The candy store in Bath sells real Needhams (candy made from mashed potatoes).
Bite Into Maine is fun and a great location to enjoy view of Casco Bay. We take our camping chairs and set up in a good spot. I liked the blueberry and corn salad as well as lobster roll and I think that's where we discovered Maine Roots soda.
We liked Claws in Rockland - it's on Rt 1 north of town so closer to Rockport. We had to visit Maine Street Meats in Rockport to get a banh mi sandwich on a Monday. It's a very interesting deli. There was also a recommended food truck in the small park at Rockport Harbor but we were already stuffed and I don't know if in 2020 there are any food trucks there. Very pretty marina and we were there when they were having a sailing class for kids. Fun to watch the moms in the motor boat making sure all were doing ok.