greenich Conn what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving from Greenich to New Haven in Oct.Restaurants ??? Places to stop by..a great drive? Restaurants in New Haven or close by??
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM

www.greenwichct.org

Correct spelling GREENWICH
Beautiful town.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:31 AM

FROM Greenwich TO New Haven you say? I would stay off I-95 and take the Merritt Parkway. New Haven is home of Yale University, lovely urban campus. Worth a walk and visit to the Beinecke Library (surrounded in white marble, no windows, beautiful). For a meal I would suggest Pepe's pizzaria, excellent, crispy, coal-fired oven pizza. You might venture beyond New Haven and check out Branford. Nice village. Google New Haven, CT convention bureau. You'll find a very helpful website. With so many visiting parents to Yale, there's never a lack of information.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:38 AM

The Bruce Museum in Greenwich is well worth your time. It has an excellent collection.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM

New Haven is a sort of birthplace of pizza. Followers of Pepe's and Sally's each vigorously argue their place is better -- I've only been to Sally's (as a close friend is in the inner circle of Sally's clientele, I think am barred from going to Pepe's).

The Merritt Parkway is a much prettier/more peaceful drive than 95, almost always less traffic (no trucks), but a bit longer distance-wise. Avoid both, especially 95, during evening rush hour.

Westport has a nice main street for shopping/restaurants. Might go without saying, but in New Haven, the Yale campus is nice to walk around.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM

Pepe's is a must. Forget about Sally's their pie is garbage! (jk - there is a little rivalry between the 2) But seriously, Pepe's.

Also, you MUST go to Louis Lunch. They make hamburgers and are one of several places that claim to have invented them. They are open until 2 AM on Friday and Sat so you don't necessarily have to go for lunch. A real New Haven institution.

If you want to go somewhere nice, Union League Cafe on Chapel St. is classic French. Another recommendation is a newer place on State St. called Trevathan - mostly fish with citrus ingredients.

If you like noodle houses, Ivy Noodle is great and dirt cheap. Thai Taste on Chapel St. is also good and cheap with a Yale Crew decorating motif.

Check out Toad's PLace on York for bar/entertainment. It's one of those music venues that claims that all the greats played there before they got famous.

If you're up for a hot dog, there's a place in the middle in Fairfield that's fairly famous for hot dogs called Super Duper Weenie, I think it's exit 24 off 95, but I'm partial to the Merritt Canteen in the north end of Bridgeport. (Hot dogs along with pizza have some notoriety in this area)

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:39 PM

FYI - for people not from the area its spelled Greenwich - but pronounced Grenich - to help avoid any confusion.