Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Great Things to Do in New Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/great-things-to-do-in-new-orleans-277697/)

geith Dec 5th, 2002 12:14 AM

Great Things to Do in New Orleans

Going soon. Would love to hear your faves.

howAbout Dec 6th, 2002 03:08 PM

Drink. Eat. Look at other people eating and drinking.<BR>Repeat as needed. And a text search may not be a bad idea either.

nance Dec 7th, 2002 07:41 AM

Geith, there are many fun things to do in New Orleans. Go see the Christmas lights in City Park. You can drive or walk through, but my favorite is to take the horse drawn carriage through, and carry a bottle of bubbly. We did this a few years ago and it was wonderful. Go see the giant Jazz tree in the lobby of the Saks store. It plays every 15 or 20 minutes. I love going to the Aquarium of the Americas and usually catch an Imax when I go. Save lots of time to wonder through the French Quarter and look at all the unsual shops. One little shop sells nothing but kalaidescopes (sp?)!! Have fun.

thiri Dec 9th, 2002 08:33 PM

looking for great new and vintage clothes? no trip to n.o. is complete without a stop at the funky monky (3127 magazine street)

thiri Dec 9th, 2002 08:35 PM

new orleans coffee??? you havent tasted new orleans untill you've sampled one of the dark roasted coffees at rue de la course (219 north peters-downtown)

sj Dec 10th, 2002 12:46 PM

Take a tour between Baton Rouge &amp; New Orleans of the antebellum homes / old plantations. Some are just outside New Orleans. Tourism centres will give you all the advice you need once there.<BR><BR>Also - take a swamp tour. Just outside town. Fun &amp; informative.

Ryan Dec 10th, 2002 12:56 PM

My wife and I have always had a great time at Laffitte's (sp.?) Blacksmith Shop on Bourbon Street. It's one of the oldest bars in the country and has a piano bar in the back. Johnny, the piano player, is a blast. It's on Bourbon, a couple of blocks past the gay bars.<BR><BR>Speaking of Bourbon St., at least one drink at Pat O'Briens, while touristy, is worth it. <BR><BR>Cafe Du Monde is also a must.

lippincottfarm Dec 10th, 2002 06:05 PM

I just came back from NO. Went to the Laura and Oaks Alley plantations; beautiful and both very different. Went to see the Christmas lights in City Park. Took a Nachez boat ride along the river. Walked Burbon Street and the French quarter and looked at all of the lights. Rode the St. Charles streetcar to the Garden District. Went to the NO cooking school for the three hour class. Drank coffee and ate beignets at Cafe Dumond (to die for). Ate at Muriels, Cuvee, Brigtsens, and the original Ruth Cris. I can't say I had a bad meal. All were good. Had a great time.

geith Dec 11th, 2002 04:28 PM

thanks to those who had something constructive to say!

amber Dec 12th, 2002 10:05 AM

geith, welcome to our city!<BR><BR>Here are a few activities that we do with our family when they come down to visit us. There are children involved. You don't say if you will do this solo or with a family. Here goes...<BR><BR>Jazzland, theme park<BR>Audubon Zoo<BR>Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and Audubon Nature Center<BR>Ride the Streetcar up and down historic St. Charles Avenue <BR>The Cabildo, one of America's most important museums, and site of the signing of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 <BR>The National D-Day Museum, America's newest and finest World War II museum<BR>The Riverboat Cruises on the Mississippi River <BR>The portrait artists at Jackson Square, who provide a lasting memory of anyones trip to New Orleans<BR>Louisiana Children's Museum<BR>The Carousel at City Park, one of America's oldest and most beautifully restored carousels<BR><BR>You will enjoy the city no matter what you do!<BR>Amber

S Dec 12th, 2002 10:54 AM

We were in New Orleans this summer. One morning we stopped at Cafe DuMonde for beignets. My husband went to the restroom while there. He later told me he was grossed out/repulsed/etc. by the cleanliness of their facilities.

cw Dec 12th, 2002 05:40 PM

Haven't seen mention of the cemetary tours - very interesting. Years ago we were walking to one of the cemetaries (where they didn't have tours) but were stopped by the city police and told to leave because the walled cemetaries are very dangerous for tourists. When we went last year, we paid and went on the walking tour and thoroughly enjoyed it.

xxx Dec 13th, 2002 03:20 AM

S, your husband was right about the restroom at the Cafe Du Monde. The odd thing about New Orleans is that MOST of the restrooms are that bad! I know because I spent one vacation there while 7 months pregnant and had the chance to check out half the bathrooms in the city! LOL. Even in very nice restarants I found filth, very dim lights, and frequently had to walk through the KITCHEN to get into the bathroom. UGGGHHH.

Kim Dec 13th, 2002 05:12 AM

In the French Quarter, most of the buildings are over 100 years old. Stands to reason that the bathrooms, which weren't designed by today's standards, won't be as spiffy as those in newer bldgs.

E. Dec 13th, 2002 10:20 AM

If you have access to a car, take a swamp tour, by all means! My favorite is the Honey Island Swamp Tour, because it eschews cheesy music, drinks, etc. in favor of these fascintaing guides who just know everything about the swamps. One caveat: not much gator activity on a cold day, and don't bother going at all if it isn't sunny.

geith Dec 17th, 2002 11:05 PM

thanks all.<BR><BR>had a great time. managed to squeeze in quite a bit, highlights including:<BR><BR>Cafe Du Monde<BR>St. Charles Streetcar<BR>Garden District<BR>Lights in City Park (carraige-ride!)<BR>French Quarter side streets<BR>Preservation Hall!<BR>The Moonwalk<BR><BR>Great restaraunts:<BR>Uglesich's<BR>Commander's Palace Jazz Brunch<BR>Clancy's<BR>Acme Oyster House<BR>Central Grocery<BR><BR>The hotel Omni Royal Crescent was a great choice. Close enough to the action (French Quarter two blocks away, Streetcar two blocks away), but far enough away for peace and quiet. The service was a little spotty and the walls were a wee-bit thin, but overall quite nice. I even forgot one of my bags which they shipped to me gratis!

Pam Dec 18th, 2002 09:50 AM

Oh what a city. Here are some of the things we loved:<BR>LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop when Miss Lilly was alive.<BR><BR>Having the cab waiting while we stopped at Cafe Du Mond each night for beignets.<BR><BR>Bourbon Street on Halloween<BR><BR>Late night/very early morning breakfast at the Clover Grill <BR><BR>Buying Pralines at the Convent in the garden district(Sister Claire's(?)..&quot;they speak for themselves&quot;)<BR><BR>Open gallery evenings on Julia Street<BR><BR>Marking an&quot;x&quot; on Marie La Veau's grave<BR><BR>A night at Maison de Ville with champagne delivered to the room<BR>

Pam Dec 18th, 2002 10:03 AM

And..a hamburger at Port O Call<BR><BR>Red beans and rice Mondays at Mothers<BR><BR>Oysters anything at Acme Oyster Bar<BR><BR>Going and sitting in St Louis Cathedral<BR><BR>Shopping for perfume,soap and vetiver at Hovier on Royal Street

Pam Dec 18th, 2002 10:04 AM

Realizing &quot;A Streetcar named Deisre&quot; is now a city bus.