Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Great things to do in 2 days in Charleston, SC???

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Marta

Will be there with my husband at the end of August. Interests include Civil War (historical places), beautiful scenery and great restaurants. Any suggestions are very appreciated!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 03:27 PM
howard

Spend half a day at Middleton Place, the best of all the plantations in the area.
Within Charleston, take the carriage ride and do a lot walking, walking and walking to see the beautiful homes.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Debbie

Marta-as always, great advice from Howard. No question about visiting Ft Sumter, especially with the interest in the Civil War. Take a walking tour of the Battery area-beautiful homes everywhere. Check out 2 Meeting St-a beautiful Victorian-era B&B. The Calhoun Mansion in the area is something to see-the ticket is expensive ($15)-but well worth it. A carriage ride is a must, as is a stop at The Market-in the heart of Charleston. We also enjoyed touring The Citadel museum and grounds. There are restaurants to accommodate every taste-from burgers to 5-star-in and around Charleston.

Keep in mind that the heat/humidity will be quite uncomfortable in late August.

If you haven't already done so, do a search on Charleston as there's been numerous detailed postings on this beautiful city that will be quite helpful in planning your trip. ENJOY

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 03:40 AM
Marta

Thanks so much!

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:53 AM
elaine

Marta,

Debbie is correct..listen to Howard! We took his excellent touring advice, including a very long half-day at Middleton Place.
We were in Charleston late May. Here is a list of restaurants. All were excellent:
Hominey Grill
82 Queen
Peninsula Grill
Blossom Cafe
Hank's (mostly fish/seafood)

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 06:06 AM
sally

Charleston is absolutely one of my favorite places. I haven't been there in a couple of years and I am very anxious to go back.

Unfortunately as someone previously said, in August it will be EXTREMELY hot most likely. The downtown area is best seen by just walking around in my opinion but with the heat it may be too uncomfortable. At the tourist center you can get bus/carriage tours. I did one of these with my parents one July because they couldn't take the heat. It was good for them but I would prefer the walking around.

Middleton is very nice. I love gardens and they have very manicured gardens. They really are beautiful. Just up the road from Middleton is Magnolia Plantation. This is actually my favorite. The gardens are not as manicured as Middleton, which I prefer. They also have a swamp garden that you walk through. Very interesting. During the walk you will come upon an old cemetery in addition to walking through the swamp. Don't expect to see your "typical" plantation homes at either of these. Middleton has only the foundation of the original house left. I think there maybe a slave house still open. Magnolia has the original plantation house but it is not the "Gone With The Wind" plantation home. It is small. Just don't expect much on the house from either of these.

There is another plantation on the same road as Middleton & Magnolia. I've never been to it and never hear anyone else comment on it so I don't think it's much.

The road out to these three plantations is really neat too. Live oaks line the road with spanish moss hanging from them---very neat.

If you want to see the stereotype plantation home there is another one on the other side of town from these three. I am searching my hard drive (brain) for the name but it is not coming up right now. You will see it mentioned though in all the tourist information you see while there. It was used in the filming of the television miniseries North and South.

The City Market is fun for just walking through and maybe buying. There are lots of restaurants in that area. Carolina's is very good. North of Broad is another one that is very good.

Have a great time!!!

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Frank

I agree that Middleton Place is a "must-see", but would recommend that you arrive bright and early in the morning to avoid the crowds and the heat of day. I also very much enjoyed Magnolia Plantation and its accompanying swamp garden (fascinating), but would visit it on a different day than Middleton Place. Restaurants which I especially enjoyed included Magnolia's and Hank's.