Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Great Smoky Mountains: Asheville or Bryson City?
Notices

Great Smoky Mountains: Asheville or Bryson City?

Aug 21st, 2014, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Great Smoky Mountains: Asheville or Bryson City?

My family and I will be visiting the Smokies in late October and we're trying to decide on a place to stay. We've found beautiful cabins in both Asheville and Bryson City, but don't know which city will fit our needs the most. It will be me, my husband, our 18 month old, my parents, and my mother in law. Let's see, what else might be determining factors...we'll be there for three nights, my mother loves to cook so we'll probably eat in most nights, but we'll probably want to go out to eat once or twice. My husband and I live in NC, but our parents are visiting from California so we want to make the most of the short time we have. Is Clingman's Dome a must-see? Any suggestions re: where to stay, what to see, what to eat, anything would be appreciated. Thanks!
Aug 22nd, 2014, 05:03 AM

Asheville is a pretty long way from the park, particularly driving with a baby. Stay in the BC area IF seeing the Park is your focus. Your folks would also enjoy Asheville for at least a day. You may need to decide what it is you are concentrating on for the trip. I assume they are flying into Asheville?
Aug 22nd, 2014, 08:28 AM

Virtually any place in eastern TN, western NC or even north GA would work. Late October is the busiest time of year in GSMNP and I avoid it at that time of year due to the traffic. Almost anywhere around the park will give you the beautiful fall color, access to hikes and waterfalls, good restaurants and plenty of cabins to rent. Asheville is lovely but it sounds like a cabin will work best for you. Bryson City is a good choice as would be many other towns in the area.

Search this Thread