Great Retreat outside of Chicago

Mar 19th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Karen

Great Retreat outside of Chicago

We are traveling to Chicago on business, and will have a few days prior for a special long weekend getaway. We have 2 small children and would like some recommendations on a quiet and relaxed inn or resort close to the City (within 2 hours drive of the airport). Are there any great resorts on the Lake or close by that you can recommend?

Mar 19th, 2001, 09:32 AM
ellen

Check into New Buffalo and Union Pier, MI. These beach towns are about 1 hour 15 mins from downtown Chicago. The drive is all highway. There are many B & B's to choose from. You might check into the Lakeside Inn (Lakeside is the town after Union Pier). It might be better able to handle the kids.

Mar 19th, 2001, 09:33 AM
ellen

Please feel free to email me if you are interested and I can give you more details on the area.

Mar 19th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Jim Rosenberg

You might take a look at the Lake Geneva, Wisconsin area which has some really wonderful, higher-end resort options for the type of experience you describe.

Mar 19th, 2001, 10:17 AM
anne

The other area that might appeal (in addition to the fine recommendations above) is Galena, IL. What time of year are you traveling?

Mar 19th, 2001, 02:58 PM
MmeIrish

If you are looking just for a great view of Lake Michigan, and kid friendly, you might check out the Holiday Inn downtown near Navy Pier. There are plenty of activities nearby (childrens museum, Disneyquest, museum of science and industry, not to mention Navy Pier and its huge ferris wheel) Take a room with a southern exposure to achieve the best lake view in this hotel. My daughter and I go down for day trips and stay here. She is mostly thrilled with the on-site pool here.

Mar 19th, 2001, 05:03 PM
sabrina

Consider Pheasant Run in St. Charles.

Mar 20th, 2001, 07:20 AM
marilyn

I recommend Lake Lawn Lodge, on Delavan Lake in the Lake Geneva area. This is a scenic, resorty area within 2 hours of Chicago, and Lake Lawn is very family oriented. In bad weather, the various lodges are all connected by glassed-in walkways, and in better weather they have a pretty outdoor pool area overlooking an active lakefront, ie, parasailing, etc. They offer loft suites which are very roomy and great for families (in-room movies, refrigerators, etc.) Nice indoor pool, lots of cozy corners to relax in, ice cream parlor, deli and restaurant etc. Just a nice old-fashioned Wisconsin resort that has been updated and maintained over the years.

Search this Thread