Great restaurants in Chicago

Jul 22nd, 2000, 12:51 PM
Nancy

Great restaurants in Chicago

My husband and I will be in Chicago for a few days in August. We are staying at the Renaissance Hotel on West Wacker Drive. We found some great suggestions on this forum regarding museums and would appreciate any suggestions on the best (does not mean the most expensive) restaurants in that area or within a short taxi drive. We tried to make reservation at Charlie Trotter's but theplace is fully booked. Thanks for your help.

Jul 22nd, 2000, 02:12 PM
linda

Bistro 110 near Water Tower place is good. My favorite is Rosebud (or Redbud - I can't recall) on Rush Street. Great Italian.

Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:16 PM
ginger

Riva's at Navy Pier and Tuscany in greek town. For some fun Ed Debevics

Jul 23rd, 2000, 06:00 PM
David

Chop House was recommended to me and now I'll recommend it to you.

Jul 23rd, 2000, 11:52 PM
Tomsoc

I am going to Chicago on Sat. I have researched and posted messages on travel boards and the restaurants I have reservations at are 1)mk, which seems to one of the hot new restaurants,2)Bin36, 3)Spiaggia and4) Heaven on Seventh. Check of Gayot.com and Zagats.com for reviews of these restaurants. I have eaten at Spiaggia and it is excellant Italian and great ambiance, but pricey. Bin36 is a wine restaurant and Heaven of Seventh is Cajun/Creole, lively and fun. Also, the Gospel brunch on Sunday at the House of Blues Hotel is suppose to be excellant with a live jazz show. I am staying at the HOB. You can make reservations on line throught SavvyDiner.com and Opentable.com. I used savvydiner to make reservations when I went to SF in Feb. and had no trouble at all. Good luck.

Jul 24th, 2000, 11:10 AM
Ann

Nancy, if you like Greek, try Papagus at the Embassy Suites hotel on State Street. I'm not crazy for Greek food, but this place was just wonderfull. We all got the sampler platter and it was the best Greek food I'd ever had. Desserts were amazing as well. They do a thing with a chocolate dip, like a mousse on a brownie-cookie thing what we just loved (split four ways=no calories!).

Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:47 PM
Lara

Best restaurant in the city (according to every Chicago food critic) is TRU located on N. St. Clair Street. Good luck getting a dinner reservation, but I think they were going to start serving lunches?

Aug 2nd, 2000, 02:22 PM
Kevin

Recommending the best is a very subjective thing. As a native Chicagoan, I always recommend looking at metromix.com This is a site sponsored by the Chicago Tribune, is very easy to navigate, and covers all restaurant types. Hope this helps!!

Kevin

Aug 3rd, 2000, 11:32 AM
Kim

My husband and I went to Tru for his birthday - we made reservations several months in advance. I would not recommend it unless you want to spend $500 plus. While parts of the meal were very good - flights of caviar, others much less memorable. For that kind of money I want to be wowed at every moment. We did a similar meal at Spruce for our anniversary and enjoyed it much more ... the had a chef's special which paired a wine with each course. Other restaurants I would suggest include Crofton on Wells, Red Light and Morton's.

Aug 3rd, 2000, 06:30 PM
kam

Do not grieve for Charlie Trotter's. We didn't like it at all and wouldn't return if offered a free meal. It's "tortured food." There's a little bistro up near Division Street I think on Rush that was lovely and authentic. Is Ambria still around? If so, that's a good choice.The Berghoff is, of course, old Chicago German and a good choice in the middle of the Loop. Lots to choose from but some of them are so full of themselves.

Aug 3rd, 2000, 06:32 PM
kam

Another thought and I don't know why I didn't include it.........for an authentic Chicago steakhouse, try Gene and Georgetti's or Eli's.

Aug 3rd, 2000, 07:04 PM
kal

Nancy, I was in Chicago in June. Had a great meal at Sullivan's steakhouse. It's pretty near your hotel. Maybe on State or Dearborn?

Great steak, wine list, service and desert. And if your hubby likes a good after dinner cigar and/or a drink, they have a nice bar upstairs.
I can't say enough about the service I received there.
Kal

Aug 8th, 2000, 10:42 AM
lin gitterman

Cafe Spiaggia is lovely (and reasonable). We also ate at MK and Blackbird. Service, food, ambiance - all fabulous at all three!

Aug 27th, 2000, 01:10 PM
Nancy

We just returned home and would like to thank you all for your help in deciding what restaurant should we visit on our short trip to Chicago. Here they are: Everest - excelent food and service; TRU - fantstic, exceptional service, great food and the bill came to under $180 for two of us including a big tip but we do not drink; Bistro 110 very good; Spiaggia - OK; MK - not acceptable service and fish too salty. Any other recommendation we will use on our next trip in June 2001. Thanks again

Aug 27th, 2000, 02:44 PM
Candace

Next trip you may want to try The Cheesecake Factory for lunch or dinner
it's located in the bottom of the John Hancock Building and is incredible.

Search this Thread