Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Great Place for Lunch at Inner Harbor, Fell's Point (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/great-place-for-lunch-at-inner-harbor-fells-point-719613/)

dfw17 Jul 10th, 2007 06:26 AM

Great Place for Lunch at Inner Harbor, Fell's Point

I'm meeting my long-time friend in Baltimore this Saturday just for a few hours. We haven't seen each other in over 5 years and I'm looking for a place to have a leisurely (and not-too-noisy) and delicious lunch. We're 40-somethings (2 women) and I'd love a place with fresh ingredients, seafood, or other creative food. Probably not Italian.

Any suggestions? We decided to meet at Inner Harbor (or Fell's Point) area because we both know how to get there :)

Thanks,
DJ

GBC Jul 10th, 2007 06:51 AM

We recently did some research on this since we were meeting neighbors from years ago and staying at Fell's Point.

If this will be a real splurge, consider Charleston. It is everything that you are looking for. www.charlestonrestaurant.com

If you are looking for a great meal at a fun place which could be a little noisy, consider Henninger's Tavern. We loved this place and are looking for an excuse to return (it is far from where we live.) www.henningerstavern.com .

If these interest you, check the lunch schedules - we were having dinner. Enjoy.

dfw17 Jul 10th, 2007 09:36 AM

GBC,

Both look great. (Esp. Charleston...wow!). Unfortunately, neither are open for Saturday lunch.

Hmmmm. I'll have to find an excuse to return for dinner some time.

--DJ

MaureenB Jul 10th, 2007 09:49 AM

Kali's Court is slightly expensive seafood, but very nice, and in Fells Point. Phone 410 276 4700 www.kaliscourt.com.

They also own the tapas restaurant next door, which is nice, too.

Or, across the Inner Harbor is the Rusty Scupper. It's got great views, good food, could use a face-lift, but it's a good value for the money.
:)>-

MaureenB Jul 10th, 2007 09:57 AM

I just checked Kali's Court and Kali's Mezze. They do not open for lunch on Saturdays.

Another place with slightly ordinary food, but extraordinary views at the Inner Harbor, is Victor's Cafe:
801 Lancaster St
Baltimore, MD
21202-4336
Phone: (410) 244-1722

basingstoke2 Jul 10th, 2007 10:13 AM

Legal Seafoods is good at the Inner Harbor. In Fell's Point we've enjoyed John Stevens, Ltd.

For something different and fun, forget about a regular lunch altogether and go to Vacarro's, an all dessert restaurant in Little Italy and make a meal of great pastries, gelato and other fantastic ice cream specialties washed down with something off their coffee list.

sherhatfield Jul 10th, 2007 10:19 AM

The Capital Grille in the Inner Harbor is a favorite of mine. They are pricey for dinners, but I feel the lunch prices are reasonable, especially for the quality of food you get. Kali's Court in Fells Point is a good recommendation.

I have to disagree with the Rusty Scupper vote - I found their food to be okay, but not worthy of the price tag. Just my opinion though.

dfw17 Jul 10th, 2007 06:11 PM

Hmmm. Unfortunately, Capital Grille does not do Sat lunch. Victor's Cafe moved to Timonium. So, John Steven, LTD and Legal Seafood are possibilities. And Vaccaro's! I probably won't do Rusty Scupper due to a very mediocre meal earlier at a different Rusty Scupper. I also see from my own internet searches that McCormick & Schmick's does Saturday lunch.

This is frustrating.....all the earlier restaurants mentioned here look so delicious, but not open for Saturday lunch!

kwren Jul 11th, 2007 06:07 AM

bookmarking

sherhatfield Jul 11th, 2007 07:02 AM

Oops - didn't realize Capital Grille doesn't do Saturday lunch! I've only been there for lunch during the week.

MaureenB Jul 11th, 2007 07:58 AM

It sounds like the upscale places don't do lunch. Maybe you'd be best with McC and Schmick's, even though I think it's grossly overpriced, the food is good and you can possibly get a view table.

I know Rusty Scupper gets mixed reviews, but the times I've been there I was happy with my reasonably-priced seared scallops dinner, and my view table.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.