Reload this Page >

great new w hotel in new orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 06:24 AM
karie

just stayed in new orleans at the new "W" hotel in the french quarter. had to let everyone know about it. if you like down comforters and pillows, marble and slate bathrooms, jazz CD's, really nice "pottery barn/banana republic" look, check this place out. great pool with teak lounges, etc. restaurant is "bocca", a new italian offering by the brennan family...very nice. the nicest stay i've every had in new orleans and so nice to get away from the all-too-common mildewy and musty rooms. located on chartres street, the quarter is just out your door, yet not right in the middle of all the bourbon street buzz. check out website at "www.whotels.com" also checked out the "international house" and give it a very big *WOW!* Check them out at www.ihhotel.com. absolutely magnificent place. whereas windsor court hotel is nicholas and alexandra oil portraits over mahogany sideboards (very old-world), the international house is lots of taupe and soaring ceilings and very nice chic new look. also highly recommend delmonico's for dinner. one of emeril's places, it was amazing. had the seven course "tasting menu" with wines and it was an out-of-body experience. wow!

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Ed

I hate to contradict Karie, but I hated the W French Qtr. Hotel. It was nice only because everything was new. My room would pass for a closet in most hotels, the staff was unfriendly and very impressed with themselves and the Bacco restaurant (open for years, by the way) was awful. Skip the W and stay with the Omni, Royal Sonesta, or Monteleone.

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 07:27 PM
karie

hmmm...curious which floor you stayed on, Ed. i had a very spacious room with a great view, though I admit I did request a room change...rejected the first because of the view and the size. And the staff was very friendly and accomodating. amazing how different one's experiences can be, isn't it?

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 03:49 PM
Leslie

Karie - I would have to agree with Ed. The W Hotel French Quarter was very disappointing. My husband and I were in New Orleans in Mid-May and stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and everyday there was something new to complain about. There were only a handful of things that I liked about the hotel.

Complaints
1.) check in (charged different rate then what we were quoted when we made the reservation, $30 more a night to be exact)
2.) went to our room and my husband went to use the restroom and there was a huge roach floating in the toilet along with tons of toilet paper. The toilet also did not flush. Sooo we called down to explain the problem and were told that they were on their way up to fix it.. well an hour later we called back and asked for another room.
3.) moved to another room. husband went to use the restroom, no toilet paper. Called the front and asked for toilet paper. In the meantime, we went to the restaurant to use the restroom and we sat at the bar and had a beer and waited for friends to join us.
4.) went back to the room 2 1/2 hours later, still no toilet paper.
5.) next day - we did alot of walking and I had blisters on my heels. Purchased band-aids at the walgreens up the street. The next day when i decided to check the bill on the tv I was charged for a first aid kit. They don't sell a first aid kit, they saw band-aid rappers in the trash and who knows, They made up a price and charged me for it.
6.) upon arrival we asked that they come and refill the mini bar so that there would be no confusion upon checking out as to whether or not we emptied it. They came and filled it up that evening while were out. But when I checked the bill to be sure they removed the first aid kit, they had charged me for everything they had replaced from the previous guests in the mini-bar.
7.) 4th. day - didn't clean the room at all. When I asked for clean towels, they brought me a garbage bag full of towels and dropped it in the entryway of our room and left.
8.) being in New Orleans, we stayed up every night until about 3 am and we had meetings at 8 am each morning. So when I finished with my meetings each day at around noon, I would go back to my room to nap until it was time to go out. I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out and each day someone knocked and asked if I wanted my room cleaned or the honor bar stocked. Or they were so loud in the hall that I had to call down and ask someone to ask them to keep it down.
9.) last day. Went to breakfast at 9 am and returned at 11:30 am. Upon leaving our room I noticed that my gold necklace was on the desk and thought to myself that it was safe since no one had cleaned our room any day before 3 pm and that was if they cleaned it all. Plus we were checking out that afternoon and they usually wait to clean the room. Upon arriving back at the hotel, guess what was missing? You guessed it, my necklace. I am in the middle of filing an insurance claim for the necklace with the hotel.
10.) there is no hotel bar or anything to hang out in when you don't want to go out, but you don't want to go to bed either. The hotel restaurant isn't open past 11 pm.

Good Things:
1.) upgraded to balcony suite (that is only because my husband is a Platinum Starwood Member) but it is still an upgrade.
2.) heavenly bed
3.) interesting choices in the honor bar (pop rocks, milk duds, voodoo doll...)
4.) great location

There is actually another W hotel located on Canal St. and it is truly amazing. They have a fantastic lobby/bar and is open until 2 am.

I really hope that these are all growing pains, because the W hotel chain is really nice and this will only hurt their reputation. I am glad that you didn't experience the same problems.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Meg

one more for Traveler