Reload this Page >

Great hotel in/near San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2000, 05:01 AM
Steve

Hi all. My wife and myself need to find a great hotel in or near San Diego. Someone recommended Del Coronado which we tried but was full. We will be out there from June 23-26. Price is not much of a barrier. Any ideas?

Old May 22nd, 2000, 06:46 AM
Ozzie

Steve:

Try the Fodor's "Hotel Index" on the Fodor's home page. Selct "Our Choices" and the "over $175" box to get the best Sandiego Hotels. Among those, I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency (downtown), which is close to the airport, some nice shopping, and the Harbor. Good Luck

Old May 22nd, 2000, 07:19 AM
Charles

I know you said price isn't much of a problem, but have you checked out the Beach Hut B&B. I saw them on www.LodgingDiscounts.com, it looked like a neat place, in a great location. Haven't been there personally, I just like bargains and not-the-usual kind of places.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 04:02 PM
kate

Steve-all depends on what you want out of your vacation. If you have a car I would suggest L'Auberge Del Mar or some of the places in La Jolla. If you want to be centrally located and close to all freeways, Hotel Circle can't be beat, though there is nothing really upscale there. E-mail me directly and I would be glad to offer specific recommendations.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 11:32 AM
Joe

What do you want to do?

Nightlife (it's not LA or NY) stay near downtown/sea port village area.

Sea World/Old Town/Zoo stay near hotel circle

Golf/relaxing/etc stay along North county coast (Del Mar/Carlsbad)

Have fun

Old May 23rd, 2000, 11:35 AM
Joe

Accidently hit post

My choice:
US Grant or Westgate in downtown area.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 01:23 PM
Charlie

I've stayed at the Mission Bay Hilton and was happy with the product and location.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 02:48 PM
Paul

La Valencia in La Jolla is one of the best hotels in San Diego. You might want to consider the Inn at Rancho Santa Fe. This is a first class hotel but it is located inland and not convenient to the beach. On Coronado Island, the Marriott would be an excellent choice. Downtown San Diego has the US Grant, a Marriott and a Hyatt. The best hotel for you may depend on where you want to be located in San Diego. If the Hotel Del was your first choice, check out the nearby Marriott.

Old May 24th, 2000, 04:48 AM
SDSam

The Embassy Suites in downtown San Diego is an excellent choice.

Old May 25th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Dick Hardy

Auberge del Mar is a good choice. If you are interested in a spa/golf/tennis package, look into Rancho Bernardo Inn. Lovely place with a superb restaurant.