Great Ethnic Restaurants in Chicago Downtown Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband, teenage son and I will be in Chicago soon, for a meeting hubby has to attend. We used to live in Chicago (Lincoln Park), and will be meeting friends (who now all live in the 'burbs) for dinner Saturday and Sunday nights. I know a lot of restaurants, but I haven't kept up on the current restaurant scene.

I'd love some recommendations - our friends aren't the most creative with dinner ideas, and we love new, different and/or ethnic, because we don't have much of that where we live now.

DH suggested Topolobampo, but they're already totally booked. But that's the kind of thing we have in mind (we're not into waiting to eat at Frontera Grill; Xoco, son & I may visit for breakfast). Doesn't have to be that price range. No Italian - we just went for a marvelous trip to Italy, so we're set on Italian food for a while. Indian's good, but we may go to Devon Street for that. Son doesn't really love Thai, and BTW, he's vegetarian. The only thing that rules out is steakhouses (which I hate, anyway) and Twin Anchors (that's still around, right?).

Friends will be driving in, we'll be coming from the Wyndham, so something not too difficult to get to. Hubby would probably vote for downtown, but I wouldn't mind Lincoln Park, for old times' sake.

I've been looking at Metromix, but would love some direction from Fodorites - thanks in advance!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Any Chicagoans out there who can help?
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Well, I don't know how "ethnic" the place is, and it might not be at all what you are looking for, but did you ever eat at Artists Café (412 S. Michigan Avenue) while you lived there? I really enjoyed their spanakopita on a visit to Chicago a couple of years ago - as well as the atmosphere.

Here is their lunch and dinner menu:

http://www.artists-cafe.com/lunch_dinner2.html
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM

You wouldn't find much downtown. Or on the Magnificent Mile (Streeterville) or in River North.

You could go to Chinatown or Greektown, for example.

Indian? Vietnamese? Japanese? Moroccan? Middle-Eastern? Any of these possibilities?

Where in Lincoln Park? As you are aware, that's a big neighborhood. Are you going for evening entertainment as well?
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Sorry, I didn't see that comment about Indian.

*Great* food warrants *great* prices. Is that what you want?

If so, you might be interested in Naha (Armenian - River North). Target audience: ages 18+, though.

The following have very good to good cuisine, IMHO:

Aria (Asian-fusion) is in the Fairmont on N. Columbus - fairly close to Millennium Park.

Japanese - Oysy. Two locations - one in the South Loop and the other in River North. They have both sushi and izagaya (including vegetable tempura and tofu dishes).

Vermilion is on W. Hubbard (Latin-Indian), and especially if you like your food spicy.

Russian Tea Time is on W. Adams, about a 1/2 block from the Art Institute - although their cuisine is Americanized Russian. For example, they do have a vegetable platter which your son might find to his taste.

If you wanted French, you might be interested in Brasserie Jo on W. Hubbard.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM

I love exiledprincess' list. Here are some other ideas. Also agreed you won't find much downtown.

Indie Cafe in Edgewater - www.indiecafe.us. Yes it is Thai and sushi but they have a large selection. My husband is not into Thai but loves it here. BYOB

Marigold in Uptown - Indian, but with their own twist on some dishes. www.marigoldrestaurant.com

Bistro Campagnie in Lincoln Square - French

Cafe 28 in Northcenter - Cuban, also serve a wonderful Cuban brunch

Simply It in Lincoln Park - Vietnamese, this place is probably new since you moved

You can also try Yelp for more ideas. Good luck!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM

I am there next week for a meeting as well and appreciate the recs. Armenian sounds interesting.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM

Gina817, wow - must be on the same wavelength...I mentioned Vietnamese above specifically with Simply It in mind - but was waiting to hear from the OP to which area of Lincoln Park they may be heading.
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Wow - thanks for all of the responses. One set of friends has disregarded our ethnic suggestions, so we may be doing pizza with them, and being more adventurous on our own at lunch. (We tried...).

I'd dug up some of your suggestions, which is good to see (Aria, Naha, Vermillion). Price range, we can do whatever. Lincoln Park, I'm not sure where exactly, but probably between the lake and Halstead; Simply It would fit the area. We used to live at Clark & Armitage, but teenage son wants to see the Biograph (John Dillinger, I warned him there's not much to see), so who knows where we'll end up during the day. DS and I haven't really decided what we'll do while DH is in meetings, but he likes museums as much as I do, so the Art Institute, MCA, maybe the Chicago Historical Society (I actually used to have a membership) are on the list, but not necessarily great locations for interesting lunches.

Vietnamese - I love the idea; we haven't had good Vietnamese since we left Chicago.

I know I said no Italian, but DH is now vetoing any place Asian that has too much sushi, so any comments on Vinci? We ate there once a couple of years ago, and what I remember of it, I liked.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Is this article of any help?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel...cago-Eats.html
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM

If you go to Chicago Historical Museum you'll be in Old Town and you'll have several nice Mexican and Italian options. Salpicon and Adobo Grill are both great for Mexican. Dinotto, Topo Gigio and Trattoria Roma are all dependable for Italian. Bistrot Margot is always reliable for French.

Vinci is still good, another traditional Italian place that is always reliable. A traditional Italian place we always LOVE is Riccardo Trattoria on Clark, a few blocks north of Armitage.

Coco Pazzo comes to mind for really great upscale Italian. Or Piccolo Sogno.

Another vote for Marigold for Indian!
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM

We greatly enjoyed Vong's Thai Kitchen--especially at lunch. It is a festive, stylish Thai place of the kind we don't have in Seattle.

HTTY
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Due to spousal whining, we're now going to Merlo la Salumeria one night, and pizza the other night. Our creativity will be for lunches - I'm determined that Simply It will be one choice, and the other will depend ont where we are at lunchtime.