Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Great deal at Kahala Mandarin Oriental, but still wondering about Halekulani

Great deal at Kahala Mandarin Oriental, but still wondering about Halekulani

Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
ann
Original Poster

Great deal at Kahala Mandarin Oriental, but still wondering about Halekulani

We've got the Mandarin Oriental booked at an outrageously good deal - about $150 less per night than the Halekulani for an equivalent room. But, we're a little apprehensive about being far away from town since we're planning on going in for dinner every night and don't want to do constant battle for parking. So we're thinking of changing to the Halekulani. I've followed the ongoing debate about both hotels, and picked the Mandarin because it seemed a bit less hectic with more elbow room, but I now wonder if location is more important?

For those of you with Mandarin experience, how far away is the Mandarin from the hotspots and did the drive/parking situation bother you immensely? We're used to driving short distances to dinner in Maui but the traffic and parking in HNL is what worries me. I don't want to start a wonderful dinner in Oahu feeling agitated.

For those of you with Mandarin and Halekulani experience, would you pay $150 more for the Halekulani or just stay put?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:25 PM

The Mandarin is in the Waialae Kahala area, just off the golf course. From the hotel, the drive around Diamond Head to mid Waikiki is maybe 10 minutes, a bit more with weekend traffic around Waikiki. No need to worry about distance, its just a few miles. You're right about the Mandarin being in a less hectic area and it is a good choice for that reason, unless you want to be directly in Waikiki.

Hoku's at the Mandarin is a nice restaurant, as is 3660 on the Rise in Kaimuki and Roy's Restaurant in Hawaii Kai, both about a 10 minute drive from the hotel. Enjoy your visit.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:34 PM

Hi Ann,
It takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the heart of Waikiki from the Kahala Mandarin Hotel. Just take Kahala Ave. and follow it around Diamond Head (oceanside). You will end up at Kapiolani Park and from there, take a left on Kapahulu Ave. and a right on Kuhio Ave. into Waikiki. Most of the hotels and higher-end restaurants have valet parking so not to worry.

If you can tell me what restaurants you are going to, I can tell you the proximity from the Kahala Mandarin. You might enjoy the Kahala Mandarin more than the Halekulani if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. Besides, watching the dolphins at the Kahala Mandarin swim in the lagoon is so relaxing.

Search this Thread