Style in Old Town Alexandria Va

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Style in Old Town Alexandria Va

I will be staying for three nights at the Morrison house in Old Town VA. and wondered if anybody had any ideas on the style of clothing? I want to be casual but edgy style. Any hints?
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:19 PM

The Morrison House is a great choice. We stay there for our anniversary every year.

Dockers & polo shirt for men & slacks/top for women would be OK. If you are planning to have dinner at Morrison House, I would recommend Jacket for men and appropriate attire for women.

We love Old Town. Be sure to visit the Torpedo Factory. Lots of restaurants & shops in the area.

Have a great visit!!!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:57 PM
Bootman4U

We live in the area..wear what you like and what you feel looks good at home. I'm not sure what you mean by "edgy"...you'll see every conceivable "type" in Old Town and the more "clothes conscious" you are the less fun you'lll have.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Can you give me any ideas on any trendy, cool clothing shops? By edgy I mean a little different, in style but with a different spin to it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Hey anybody know of any shops?? Help I want info! Also any additional information on the Morrison House would be greatly appreciated. Thanks bunches!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:16 PM

Hi Muffin -
unfortunately neither Northern Virginia or Washington DC are known for edgy styles. There's even a Gap Outlet in Old Town!
Your best bet would be to head to the mall - either Pentagon City or Tysons Corner - for shopping but unfortunately that's what everyone else in this area does too.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:19 PM
E

Sorry, muffin, angeleno is exactly right--edgy Alexandria is not. It's preppyland, as is the DC area in general. You'll see some hip, stylish-looking people, of course, but very few. You can certainly wear whatver you like. Edgy-ish fashions can be found in boutiques in Adams-Morgan--esp. vintage--and one or two stores in Georgetown (most of which is all chain stores now, like the Gap and Banana Republic, but you might check out Commander Salamander and Urban Outfitters). Good luck!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:33 PM

I have to agree with the other posters, muffin-- the area around DC is VERY preppy (my sister lived in the area, and it was like a breathing Eddie Bauer catalog). "Edgy" is just not seen.

An example: A young woman walking around in hip-hugger jeans, platform Doc Martens and a pink "Grrl Power" T-shirt will be looked upon by locals less as a Trend-Setting Style Maven and more as a Pitiable Fashion Victim, as they walk around in LLBean oxford shirts, Gap chinos and sensible loafers.

I'm not saying YOU will be going so "Urban Outfitter" in your travels. But that is a relatively benign example of what some out there would call "edgy". I live in an area where you still see spiky Mohawk-wearing punkers and Goth princesses roaming the streets, begging for beer change, so my example is child's play.

Still, your best bet is Preppy. A&F cargo shorts and checkered shirts are about as wild as you might get.