Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Great but cheap eats, Cape Cod, MA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/great-but-cheap-eats-cape-cod-ma-649947/)

luv2eat Sep 29th, 2006 05:33 PM

Great but cheap eats, Cape Cod, MA

Hi all. My husband and I are planning a long weekend in Chatham, MA next week. Where can we find a place for breakfast (w/ great coffee and pancakes)? What about a picnic lunch for the bike trail? Any suggestions for delicious dinner (seafood/steak/veal) in a casual/relaxed setting? They don't necessarily have to be in Chatham. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ggreen Sep 29th, 2006 09:13 PM

luv2eat, I can't really help other than to say I lived in Chatham during the off season a number of years ago and really loved it. From what I remember, Chatham has a lot of well-liked restaurants. My grandmother always liked The Impudent Oyster for dinner. And a stop into the Chatham Bars Inn might not be a bad idea: they serve meals, including afternoon tea, and the location is wonderful. www.chathambarsinn.com

I know this isn't much help, but at least it will "top" your post and hopefully someone else can give you more concrete advice! :)

gail Sep 29th, 2006 10:34 PM

There is (hope not was) a place in Dennis called "The Breakfast Room" - have not been there in 3 years, so I would check that it continues to exist.

Gene Oct 1st, 2006 10:51 AM

Gail, the Breakfast Room is still there in Dennis but it's a bit of a haul from Chatham.

Larry's PX, a very popular breakfast stop, is right in Chatham on route 28 at the Shop Ahoy plaza.

For a picnic lunch, I would stop at one of the Box Lunch spots located around the Cape. Picnic lunches are their specialty.

There are a lot more casual, less expensive (not cheap) dinner options in Orleans the town north of Chatham: Land Ho; Lobster Claw; Captain Elmer's; and The Old Jailhouse Tavern to name a few.

gomiki Oct 1st, 2006 11:06 AM

In Orleans (about 15 minutes from Chatham) I would suggest the Binnacle. Good food and price. I would skip the Jailhouse Tavern. The Land Ho is fun. A real local place full of very interesting people but I really don't like the food. Mahoney's has good food and the best tuna sashimi and fried calamari I have ever had. There are several other places but all are more expensive than these.

sistahlou Oct 1st, 2006 11:42 AM

If you make it down that way, we love Terra Luna on Shore Rd in Truro. Not sure if Arnolds has closed for the season - decent fried seafood etc on Rt 6 in Eastham. Have a great time, fabulous time of year for a visit.

gomiki Oct 1st, 2006 11:57 AM

Arnolds always closes the weekend after Labor Day. That is Windmill Weekend in Eastham and the last hurrah for the season.

yellowbyrd Oct 1st, 2006 12:21 PM

We love food too! Bonait's in Harwich has a breakfast that you will not forget...oh those sweet rolls! Or Noonie's in Orleans for terrific pancakes. For a picnic lunch try the Village Cafe in Chatham...I do not care for the rolled sandwiches at the box lunch but they do travel well so you may decide that that takes priority. If you are looking for a "townie" lunch go to the Squire in Chatha or the Land Ho in Orleans. For fine dining I would second the posters who recommended Impudent Oyster in Chatham, Terra Luna in Truro, Mahoney's in Orleans and I would add Joe's at the Barley Neck in in East Orleans, Academy Ocean Grill in Orleans, Wicked Oyster in Wellfleet, Brewster Fish House in Brewster. There are many more wonderful places....ask your inn-keeper for menus so you can see prices and compare cuisine! Provincetown has some of the best restaurants around....but it is a bit far from Chatham.

Dreamer2 Oct 1st, 2006 12:43 PM

The Wayside Inn has great breakfasts right on Main St. The Chatham Bars Inn is lovely, but quite expensive. Dinner in the pub is fun, and a bit less pricey. Another casual, fun, and good place is Roo Bar. And if you happen to see a Cooke's in your travels, they can't be beat for fried seafood "in the rough." Have fun!

luv2eat Oct 2nd, 2006 04:36 AM

Thank you everyone for all of your great suggestions! Has anyone tried the Cape Train for Sunday brunch? We thought it might be a nice way to end our long weekend.

capecodshanty Oct 2nd, 2006 06:24 AM

Discovered a new place last weekend- Babe's in North Truro (not far from Terra Luna). Mediterranean in feel, and quite inexpensive and good.

gomiki Oct 2nd, 2006 07:10 AM

I have not done the Sunday Brunch train but recently took the dinner train. It was excellent. The train is rated in the top three in the country for dinner so I would think it would be quite good. The scenery now is nice too.

Classic Sep 13th, 2007 06:28 AM

Hi

I have spent many years vacationing in Chatham As a homeowner (who also rents) I would recommend Breakfast at the Chatham Municiple Airport-Cloud 9 Cafe. Excellant food, family buisness, homemade everything. Truly amazing. the owner wakes up at 2:30 AM to strat baking her muffins, scones and many homemade breads/desserts.

Another great breakfast spot is located in neighboring Harwich-Bonnatt's on Main Street. Famous for their Porteguese breads and the "Meltaway."

Dinner, go to Pate's in Chatham for great Steak/Seafood. Pisces in South Chatham is amazing. Chef owner grows all her own herbs and some veggies to guarantee fresh, wonderful cuisine.

have fun and consider renting my house. Can be seen on Homeaway.com id 123592

Classic Sep 13th, 2007 09:40 AM

After thinking a bit more..I have a few more suggestions! Picnic lunch can be purchased at The Corner Store in Chatham. Located along Route 137, about 1/2 mile from one of the Cape Rail Trail(bike trail) access points. Famous for custom order/made Burrittos. Breakfast Burrittos too! Line is long, but moves quickly.

Another Box lunch suggestion is Chatham Seafood in West Chatham-Route 28. Fresh Fish from local waters is sold next door. This year, the owners expanded and have added a carry out or dine in Seafood restaurant. Great food! Lobster Rolls, Fisherman Platters, Fish Tacos (really yummy:})

Have fun

Grace

yellowbyrd Sep 16th, 2007 01:12 PM

This OP presumably already has had lunch. The post goes back to 2006.

memermouse Oct 22nd, 2007 04:28 PM

I have a few favorite places to eat when on the cape, most of them are around the Sandwich/Buzzard's Bay area tho

Flip-Flops(I think its open year round)
Leo's Diner
Captain Scott's
Seafood Sam's