Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea or Kapalua Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 12:02 PM
Betty Kelley

My husband and I are going to Maui in October to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I'm really not all that interested in the pool. Is Grand Wailea worth the extra money for a couple traveling with no children?

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 05:40 PM
Decent Tropical

Hawaii is the Hotspot of the Month on the Frommer's website and they have an "Ask the Expert" forum.

You may want to try it:

www.frommers.com

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 05:56 AM
Liz

Try the 4 Seasons instead of the Grand - less children and most definitely 5 star.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 06:04 AM
annemarie

Agree with the above. I think the Four Seasons is more personal as it is not so huge. Grand Wailea is gorgeous but I think you would have more families here than next door at the Four Seasons and it(Seasons) also includes a lot more in your rate(tennis, fitness, cabana usage, etc.) THe Kapalua is very nice although it is an older hotel, on a beautiful stretch of beach, an okay pool. Not much to do up in the Kapalua area although it is beautiful(rains more up here and water can be rougher depending on the time of year)

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 09:50 AM
alan

We stayed at the Kapula Bay hotel for our 25th in July and it was one of the nicest placest we ever stated at. Service was excellent, rooms were very nice, beach was incredible and if you play golf it doesn't get much better. It is further away from the hustle and bustle, but that shouldn't stop you from going places. We drove everyone to restaurants, side trips etc.
It is a little more cloudy and rainy there than down south however, but not enough (at least in July) to ruin things. Any other questions feel free to email me.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 08:01 PM
nj

I agree with recommendations for the 4 Seasons. Without kids in need of diversions, it's far superior to the GW in every way except that there are fewer restaurant options. The GW is a very short stroll if that's a big deal. There's a lot more to do in and around Wailea versus Kapalua should you seek shops/restaurants beyond the property.

Stayed at Kapalua a few years ago now. Pluses: quiet, secluded, more 'old Hawaii' perhaps. Disadvantages: rooms/bathrooms nowhere near as nice as 4S (or GW), propert not as well maintained, away from restaurants/shops, etc.

The 4S is a world class property. Very discreet, relaxing, extremely well maintained, not a lot of young kids, etc.