Grand Wailea - Napua club or deluxe oceanview

Jul 25th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Grand Wailea - Napua club or deluxe oceanview

we have a deluxe oceanview room booked at the grand wailea, this gives you a full ocean view, the best view at the resort, however, we want to stay club level, the views from the Napua club level rooms are partial ocean view, because they ar on a 45 degree angle from the ocean..

we love great views, but also love staying on the club level when we vacation....

so... do you think the views from the Napua club rooms will still be very good? they say they are gardens, tiki torches...partial ocean...

should we upgrade to club or stay w/deluxe oceanview?
(it's only a $50 per night difference)
Jul 25th, 2004, 05:31 PM

For that amount I would say its worth it to stay in the Napua tower. That extra pampering and cocktail hour are more than worth it.
Jul 25th, 2004, 07:48 PM

lasjas,

We returned home last night after a seven-night stay at the GW. ABSOLUTELY stay in the Napua club level rooms. The 45 degree angle will still give you a breath-taking view, and you'll actually be grateful not to have the full ocean view sunset beating in on you at 6 pm!

Our family of five had two connecting rooms in the deluxe ocean view rooms. Long story, but this was the last stop on our vacation, we were short on planning time and I thought I HAD booked club level rooms, but there was a "miscommunication". We actually prefer smaller, cozier hotels, but when we do stay at a large resort, we stay on the club level because it's easier with the kids.

We talked to some guests staying in the club rooms and the level of service was night and day. It's very much like the large Disney luxury properties--you pay a bundle to stay in just about any room, but for a little more, club level makes a huge difference. For instance, GW failed to remove our room service cart and we came back to the hotel after a 12-hour day to find little roaches feasting on the leftovers--YUCK!

The hotel did give us a credit for their booking error, but the amenities in their club level would have been a big help with three kids.

The grounds at the GW were beautiful, the kids LOVED the pools but service was non-existent unless requested. We were concerned because so many people had told us you couldn't get a lounge chair at the pool or beach unless you went down by 6 am--not true--they were plentiful at all times.

In their defense, the hotel was completely booked and we observed a lot of very demanding guests. We loved the island and it's the perfect hotel if you have kids. However, as many others here have said, when we go without the kids, we will stay next door at the Four Seasons! But hey--if we had stayed somewhere else, my 15-year-old son, and Jeopardy junkie, would not have gotten to meet Alex Trebek who was staying there with his family. (Maybe HE got the club level rooms we reserved!)
Jul 25th, 2004, 11:16 PM

What are the benefits of staying in the Napua Club Rooms, particularly for families? I can't remember what they are, I vaguely remember something about a cocktail. We have stayed at the GW several times in the past (always the chapel view, it's a beautiful view) but stopped going because the last time the service was so awful, extremely so (this was six years ago). I would say on a scale from 1-10 with the average being a 5, the service that week was a 2. It could have been a bad oddball week for them but my vacation is important me. We could have put a downpayment on a condo for the amount our bill was by the time we left. I don't mind paying for what I get but after all the frustration from the lack of any service we didn't see the value there during our last trip. The pools and grounds are beautiful, the spa is also excellent. I just didn't want to take a chance on them again only to get frustrated. Is the Napua Club worth it?
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

we decided.. we are staying in the Napua Tower, I know we made the right decision, service is very important to us, you get spoiled when you stay club level alot...
I am sure the view will be great anyway, how can Hawaiin tropical foliage be aything but..?

thanks