Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

Hi All, I need your help again. I want to go hiking at the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and am looking for suggestions for moderate hikes. When is the best time to go, June or July? What concerns should I have??bears or other wild animalsl?? Any suggestions on hotels, moderately priced?
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:15 AM

July for the higher elevations
Inspiration Point passing by passing by Hidden Falls is the most popular hike. This portion would likely be open both months

You can continue on to Cascade Canyon from there, if you want longer more difficult hike. This portion of the hike might not be open until later(depends on amount of snowfall this year).

Yes, Bears would be a concern. Hike in a group and carry bear spray. Chances are good you would see one. Don't get to close to the elk or moose either.

Signal Mountain
Colter Village Cabin,Tent Cabins, and Camping
Jackson Lake Lodge
Dornan's
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 08:53 AM

Can you define "moderately priced"?

We went in early June and some of the lodging in Yellowstone was still closed, but we stayed in cabins at Old Faithful, Mammoth, and Canyon which were just right for our family of three.

In Jackson, we stayed at the then newly refurbished Motel 6.

Here's a link to my trip report for more information. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...d-gorgeous.cfm

Lee Ann
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 09:42 AM

Even in June and July you can expect mixed weather, it has been know to snow in every month of the year! I would check online for hotels in the area, the lodges and cabins in the parks can only be reserved online. Both parks are beautiful at any time of the year but weather and animals are always an issue. My husband and I were there in June of 2011 and the lakes were still frozen and there was a lot of snow on the ground.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

ok thank you, you have all given me some helpful info.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a short hike to Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone.
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/fi...tic/index.html
If you can't get lodging in the park, West Yellowstone is probably your best choice for low cost lodging.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

so how many days do you think I should spend at Grand Tetons and how many in Yellowstone NP?....we have about 8 days in all.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:13 AM

Depending on your schedule arrival...
If late in afternoon, 3 nights in GT and 5 in Yellowstone.
If Hikes has your preference I will begin by Yellowstone : more charismatic "attractions" but easier hikes than GT.
In Yellowstone, : Turbid lake, Storm point, natural bridges;
Ice lake and little gibbons fall,cascade
lake,artists paint pot, mammoth site are
easy hikes and all the geysers area;
more challenging : south rim of yellowstone, with possible loop by crystal lake, sepulcher loop in mammoth area, grizzly lake and also fairy falls/imperial geyser.
More challenging : Mystic falls(the whole loop), Herat lake, Bunsen peak and osprey falls.

in GT, Holly lake and solitude lake are long but not too strenous, amphitheater is shorter but heavy slope.
taggart, string, are easier.
Erik
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:14 AM

If you're talking about anything except short hikes, July is unambiguously better than June. Even in mid-July, snow will most likely be on almost all the trails once you get away from the roads.

Here's a good place to start for suggestions on day hikes:
http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/hike.htm

> What concerns should I have??bears or other wild animalsl?
The wild animals you should be MOST concerned about are mosquitoes and humans. Each year, more people die in the U.S. due to attacks from mosquitoes than any other wild animal. And, if you drive to Yellowstone, you're more likely to be killed by someone driving a Yugo than by a bear within the region.

That doesn't, however, mean you shouldn't be "Bear Aware"
http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/09108.htm
Just "bear" in mine the relative risks. For example, there has NEVER been a bear attack in North America on a group of four people or more. EVER. Sticking together is your first line of defense.

For myself, I hike alone in black bear country all the time. In all four of my bear encounters on the trail, the bear ran away before I could even get a decent photo. BUT, if I were to hike in grizzly country, I'd carry bear spray.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:12 AM

I'd say 2 Grand Tetons and 6 Yellowstone or maybe 3 and 5. It just depends on what you want to see and do. Wildlife is kinda a crapshoot at either park. We saw far more bears in Yellowstone, but far more moose in the Tetons. With 8 days your gonna see plenty of wildlife, I would imagine.
Tetons are very pretty and Yellowstone is perhaps the most amazing place I've ever been. Sounds like an awesome trip.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

So I'm thinking we will fly into SLC on July 4th and drive to Jackson. Stay there 4th and 5th, then head to Yellowstone. Stay in YNP 6th,7th,8th, 9th, 10th....but not sure where...should I pick one place or two different places? Then go to Cody on the 11th and spend the night. Head south towards SLC on the 12th and stay somewhere?? not sure where. Then the 13th, go to SLC to fly out. Does this sound good? Any thoughts?
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:35 AM

Your choices may be limited, as a lot of the lodges fill up months in advance. I would pick Old Faithful Inn and Roosevelt Lodge. Those are my favorites. I wouldn't stay in Jackson two nights. I would stay in The Tetons-several options there too.

If you can fly in and out of Jackson for not much more $$, then you might reconsider you SLC idea.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I called right away and was able to get reservations at The Old Faithful Inn and Rooievelt Lodge... and I also booked us cabins at Colter Bay. Sound good ? Little pricey at Old Faithful but at least I got the rooms I needed!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm surpirsed nobody has mentioned the Mt Washburn hike in Yellowstone. This is probably the signature hike of the park.

About 3 1/2 miles up to a ranger station. The trail is a smooth and not very steep at all dirt road that's used to take supplies up to the ranger station.

So what's the problem?

Well, it starts at 8,800 feet and ends at 10,230 feet. From the very start you're sucking to oxygen. However, a great hike and very scenic.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

thank you.......so my next question is, after we leave Cody, we will be heading south to Salt Lake City but was wondering if there are any places of interest to stop to see...or short hikes maybe towards Rock Springs or somewhere else?