Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grand Teton - Old Patriarch Tree (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grand-teton-old-patriarch-tree-813340/)

Myer Nov 6th, 2009 07:46 AM

Grand Teton - Old Patriarch Tree

I know approximately where it is.

Has anybody actually been to it?

Exactly how did you get there?

What is the terrain like getting there?

Have I raised some questions like "Huh?" and "what's that?"

Bill_H Nov 6th, 2009 12:58 PM

Myer, I've been there, about 18 years ago. I had a "photographer's guide" which I bought in the park gift shop that gave detailed directions so it was easy to find. Terrain was easy, as I recall (flat, no obstacles, not all that far from a pull-out).

I'll look for the photo guide book and if I can find it I'll post again with the exact directions.

Bill_H Nov 6th, 2009 01:06 PM

Myer, haven't searched for the book, but just Googling around on the 'net I found these two sites, one with directions and the other with GPS coordinates and a link to Google Maps.

Here's what the first link said, about 1/3 of the way into the page:

<b>"On the first full day I decided to explore and find "The Old Patriarch" tree. I parked on a dirt turnout a couple of hundred yards south of the "North Jenny Lake Jct." and headed directly east. I had my compass with me to keep me on bearing. I didn't have my cameras with me because it was the wrong time of day so the going was pretty easy. I hiked for approximately 1 to 1½ miles, passing through several groves of trees, and spotted the tree. .... From that day until the last I looked for the park ranger, who didn't know about tree, but never spotted her."</b>

Here are the two links:

http://www.outdooreyes.com/story8.php3 (one quoted above)

http://www.joecolsonphotography.com/...patriarch-tree

Myer Nov 6th, 2009 02:42 PM

Ahhhh!! I spoke with a Grand Teton ranger and she emailed me the directions. She had them on a sheet of paper.

"Heading North on the Teton Park Road towards North Jenny Lake Junction, park near the "Approaching North Jenny Lake Junction" sign (about 1/4 mile south of the junction). Make sure you pull completely of the road. Hike East from the road about 1/2 mile, dropping 3 terraces. You will walk across an open sage flat area and get to another terrace. The Patriach Tree is on the fourth terrace. Just look for the tree that looks like no other (there aren't many trees to begin with). "

She told me it's about a 10 minute walk maximum from the road.

Bill,

Thanks. I found your second link. The one with the coordinates but not the first one. I'll try again.

This better be worth it!!!

spirobulldog Nov 6th, 2009 08:02 PM

umm, uh, What is this?????? I have never heard of this one.

Myer Nov 7th, 2009 02:55 AM

spiro,

Just Google it and you see some neat photos.

I'm not really sure it's worth the effort but I'll see if it fits in.

Bill_H Nov 7th, 2009 04:36 AM

<b>I'm not really sure it's worth the effort ...</b>

I thought it was worth a half hour or so mid-day, when not much else was going on (animals aren't out, light isn't good for photography at the usual spots), but we were underwhelmed.

The ranger's "about 1/2 mile" distance estimate is for sure more accurate than the link I gave you estimate of "1 to 1 1/2 miles".

Dayle Nov 7th, 2009 08:35 AM

Hi Myer,

Gads, you really are a researcher! You've managed to come up with a spot I haven't heard of and I've been there too many times to count.

This area is a favorite of the buffalo (yes, I know they are bison, but buffalo is more fun to say) so you will probably see a herd while there. Hope you enjoy it if you go.

spirobulldog Nov 7th, 2009 10:28 AM

Myer,
I want you to figure out where the Hyberbion Tree is in the Redwoods. This is one thing I would like to see, but it appears to be a mystery as to the location.

I did google the Patriarch Tree. It would make for a good pic with tetons in the background. I don't have much experieince bushwhacking, but seems I can never find anything unless I am with someone with a gps. The hiking is much slower going on true bushwhacking that I have done in Arkansas. I do a lot of waterfalls in Arkansas, because it is only a couple of hours from me. Suprisingly there are a ton right in the area and usually, you have them all to ourself. I have set out to find a couple and have yet to find them. Went with a guy from church who has a gps and it is much easier and gives you a lot more confidence in where your going.

Myer Nov 7th, 2009 01:20 PM

Dayle,

I do come up with those places. I'm waiting for someone else to go to Willis Creek near Bryce Canyon. I think it was well worth the few hours on the way from Boulder to Bryce.

What's starting to look appealing is the suspension bridge on the Hellroaring Creek trail.

And yes, I'm going YNP/GT the first week of Aug. 2010. I have plane tickets and in-park reservations. Two nights in OF area. Three nights in Canyon. Three nights at Signal Mtn. A month after we return from Tuscany.

spiro,

I have enough trouble with my research. After Lower Calf Creek Falls I'm a bit taken with waterfalls. None around here in South Florida. Just the odd hill.

I spoke with the ranger on the phone and she told me there's no forest there. Just sage brush so it should be an easy walk.

I guess we can close out this thread.