Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grand Teton Hikes (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grand-teton-hikes-615759/)

utahtea May 15th, 2006 12:05 PM

Grand Teton Hikes

I've been to the Grand Tetons several times, but never spent much time here. Will have the time this year, so what are some easy hikes in the 3 mile or less range. We really like waterfalls. What else do you like to do at the Grand Tetons.

Utahtea

HowardR May 15th, 2006 12:36 PM

Perhaps the most popular hike is the one up to Inspiration Point on Jenny Lake. You can take a short boat ride across the lake, then take an uphill climb to Hidden Falls (under a mile) and then another steep half mile or so up to Inspiration Point. (As an alternative to the boat ride, you can walk around the lake to where the boat docks. That's about two miles.)
Two other good--and less strenuous--hikes is the Leigh Lake Trail and the String Lake Trail (which incidentally are beautiful sites).
I recommend getting a copy of Frommer's handy (and small) book,
"Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Park."
What do we like to do> First of all, just be there and being part of the magnificence is joy in itself.
Make sure you take a ride down Antelope Flats Road to seen the bison close and also spend time at the Moulton Barn. If you've got a camera in tow, there's no better subject than the Moulton Barn with the mountains in the background.
Breakfast outdoors at Dornan's is always a treat.
Signal Mountain at sundown is glorious.
Want more?

wtm003 May 15th, 2006 12:43 PM

Last summer we did the Hidden Falls & Inspiration Point Trail near Jenny Lake. We hiked around the lake, which I recommend, but you can take a boat to the other side. From there it is a short walk to Hidden Falls. After visiting the falls you can continue to Inspiration Point. That part of the hike is a little steeper, nothing extreme, but you will be rewarded with a great view of Jenny Lake.

We also did the Leigh Lake and String Lake trail. Very beautiful and tranquil. We were in the area close to the July 4 weekend and ran into very few people on the trail. One section of the trail ran into a small foot bridge that crossed a wide stream. The setting was gorgeous. We spent some time here watching the water tumble over the rocks and the fish swimming below the bridge. Have fun!

utahtea May 15th, 2006 03:38 PM

HowardR,

We are going to be in our 30ft. motorhome. Will we be able to get to all the locations you mentioned?

We are going to have PLENTY of time to explore the Tetons and Yellowstone this year so we will be getting in a lot of just sitting and enjoying the scenery. We like to park our motorhome at Oxbow bend and watch for moose near dusk while we eat dinner.

Go ahead...bring on more!

Utahtea

HowardR May 15th, 2006 03:50 PM

utahtea, you will have no problem getting to the hiking sites I mentioned. They have good-sized parking lots. Also, Antelope Flats Road is certainly able to handle your motorhome. And Dornan's parking area is certainly big enough.
I'm not sure about the ride up the hill to Signal Mountain, however. It's been a few years since I rode up there, and I forget how wide the road is. You might try calling the Signal Mountain Lodge and asking them.
In general, you'll find the roads in the Teton quite navigable for your vehicle, with traffic lighter than on the Yellowstone roads.
One bit of advice: Assuming you are going there in the summer, I suggest you get to the parking lots at the hiking spots at a reasonable hour in the morning, as they tend to fill up. And your vehicle needs a lot of parking room!
As you've probably read on the forum over the years, the Teton is our favorite national park.

cmcfong May 15th, 2006 04:31 PM

topping for sholden

utahtea May 15th, 2006 10:55 PM

HowardR,

We're planning on very early in June for Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Thanks for all the information. I'm going to print out everything.

Utahtea

HowardR May 16th, 2006 04:49 AM

utahtea, you will love your "in-depth" experience in the Teton.
Another suggestion (which you probably would do anyway): Stop at viewing spots along the road. Our favorite sight is Oxbow Bend.
And, again I urge you to get that Frommer book previously mentioned. It's $10 well spent.

cgrk May 16th, 2006 06:44 AM

Hey, utahtea, did'nt you just go to Yosemite recently. My wife and I will be there this September. This will be our first time. Is there any "must not miss" things there?

utahtea May 16th, 2006 09:21 AM

crgk,

Yes, we just got back from 3 days in Yosemite. Yosemite Valley is the #1 place in my book! The Mist Trail to Vernal Falls is one of my favorite hikes there. The short hikes to Yosemite Falls and Bridal Veil are a must do in the valley.

Outside the valley, Glacier Point, which hadn't opened yet this year, but won't be problem in September. The Mariposa grove of giant Sequioa's near Wawona and if you have time, the high country over Tioga Pass to Tuolumne Meadows.

Utahtea

utahtea May 16th, 2006 09:43 AM

OK Howard...my library has a copy of Frommer's Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and I'm going to go check it out!

Thanks!

Utahtea

HowardR May 16th, 2006 01:22 PM

Utahtea, have a glorious time in our favorite park. I'll be very curious to read your post-Teton-visit report to see how you, a veteran and esteemed national park veteran(!) enjoyed your in-depth visit there.

utahtea May 17th, 2006 08:03 AM

HowardR,

Will do!

BTW, has anyone taken a Snake River float trip at the Grand Tetons or done the Scenic Cruise around Jenny Lake? If so, was it worth it or not?

Utahtea

HowardR May 17th, 2006 09:34 AM

Yes, we've taken the float trip--twice, once early morning (around 7) and the other mid-morning...different years, of course. If you take it early in the morning, dress warmly. It gets very chilling on the river at 7 a.m.
It's fun. Interestingly, different parts of the river are used. It all depends on which company and which office you sign up for the trip. If you're lucky, you'll get to see eagles, moose, etc. I forget which company we used, but from what I gather, they are all about the same.
As for the boat ride, we've never taken it, but I would imagine it would be worthwhile. We were all set to take one at Colter Bay, but it was cancelled at the last minute because of a predicted rainstorm.

utahtea May 17th, 2006 05:25 PM

Howard,

Picked up the Frommer's Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Park Guide at the library today. I see reading in my future! :B

Utahtea