Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks-most memorable experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending 10 days in these two parks. What was your most memorable experience in each?
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM

At the Grand Tetons we took the shuttle boat across Jenny Lake the took the trail up to Hidden Falls & Inspriation Point. I also like driving around along the Snake River and getting a great view of the Tetons.

There are just to many great experiences in Yellowstone, but last summer we got to the Old Faithful area just as a pending thunderstorm turned the skies a very dark gray and old faithful started going off. That dark gray sky made for such a beautiful background. I love trying to catch geysers that I haven't seen before. This year we got to see Beehive and Daisy for the first time. But there are so many other wonderful gesyers to see. Finding wildlife is also a big treat.

Utahtea
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:21 AM

We got lucky enough to see the beehive geyser go off as well - amazing. Sounded like a jet engine and lasted a good 4 minutes. Some elk tried to knock our tent over in Mammoth - memorable, but not something I'd like to repeat.

Have a great trip. With 10 days you'll get to see it all.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:36 AM

There were many memorable experiences like watching Rosie and her cubs foraging high in the pines for pine nuts. Seeing a wolf pack through our scope
up on Mt Washburn. All the colorful water and bacterial mats in the thermal areas. I was blown away by Yellowstone...it was so much more than I expected it to be. Elk harassing tourists at the Mammoth area...a griz on a bison carcass...the whole trip was magic but, if I had to pick one moment, it would be our sighting a grizzly on the shore of Lake Yellowstone...lucky I had the camera handy (like I wouldn't). You are in for the treat of a lifetime!

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/67839325
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Seeing Beehive go off and most of the other geysers. Check with the 'geyser gazers' sitting around some of the geysers and they will tell you when certain geysers will be going, and see as many as you can. They were my jewel with information and timing of it all. Also, getting up early to find the wildlife.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:08 AM

peterboy - fabulous photos!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:34 AM

I forgot to mention that, for anyone planning a visit to Yellowstone, a visit to:

http://www.yellowstone.net/forums/

will greatly enhance your visit. The "Stoners" in the forums are quite helpful. It will give you a better idea where the wildlife might be during your visit.

If you like my photos, wait 'til you see what the folks at yellowstone.net have taken...humbling for sure.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:30 AM

We took the boat over Jenny Lake and took the hike to the falls. My husband and I, along with others on the trail at the same time, said "Oh WOW!" when we came around the bend of the falls. It's truly worth the really easy hike to the falls.

In Yellowstone, we had a buffalo scratch his back on our car mirror. Exciting, but just a little scary. Also, at the mud pots, there was a buffalo in the parking lot, and a bunch of Japanese tourist were CHASING IT to get photos. I don't know if that was a good idea! That was also a little exciting...

We liked the animal sightings the best, but the whole area is beautiful!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM

We had many memorable experiences. It's a park we will never forget - there is nothing like it.

We were fortunate to stay at the Old Faithful Inn. We went out to Old Faithful at night under the star-filled sky and watched it erupt. The stars were amazing. Early sunrise was just gorgeous when it went it erupted in front of the sunrise. We have created photgraphs for our home of this event.

Hiking from the parking lot away from the walking trail going to the overlook and arriving at the Yellowstone Canyon downstream to the roar of the falls again was worthwhile. However, hang on to any kids... nothing protecting you from a long fall down.

Animal sightings were exciting. The buffalo just stopping on the roads, the elk all over.

It's a beautiful park and we want to go back.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Thank you, peterboy, for that link. It sure has a lot of valuable information.

In September, we will be spending 10 nights in Yellowstone and 3 nights in Jackson.

We have been to Jackson Hole and the Teton area many times, but for some reason have never spent more than a couple nights at a time in Yellowstone.

Happy travels!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM

YNP, watching two male Buffalo butt heads in an early morning fog (off season, no one near).
Grand Teton, also early a.m. and fog; moose head rising slowly from the river, antlers crowned in river plants.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM

While hiking the Chittenden road up Mt. Washburn, we stopped for a break at the log bench and watched the bighorn sheep just across the road from us. After a few minutes they decided to move our way and passed on either side of us, one within 15 feet of us and then it laid down about that far behind us.

We hiked to Lone Star geyser, just a couple miles south of Old Faithful to the trailhead and then a nice 2.5 mile walk and got there in time for a minor eruption. A Ranger came with the group she was leading and was excited to hear about the minor eruption because that meant that a major eruption was imminent. It was....35 minutes later a major eruption started and lasted 18 minutes. Beautiful to see and only about 10 of us there to watch it.

We also hiked up Elephants Back to see Yellowstone Lake from about 800 feet above and could see the mountains to the south. Hard to describe all we could see from up there.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM

My most memorable experience was arriving at Signal Mountain Lodge, renting a small boat and motoring out onto the lake with our 3 kids, with the mountains in the background. The most beautiful scene I have witnessed.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM

GTNP: Like others, took the boat across Jenny Lake and did the hike up to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point; however, our destination, and much bigger wow was a bit farther up Cascade Canyon, all the way to Lake Solitude. It was an absolutely gorgeous September day, excellent fall color in the underbrush, saw a couple of moose along the way, and the Grand and other peaks perfectly reflected in the tranquil waters of Lake Solitude, where after a well-earned lunch after 7 miles of hiking up to the lake, a restful hour's nap on the warm rocks charged us back up to hike down. Still one of the best long day hikes I've ever taken, and if you're up to it and the weather's decent, I highly recommend. It took about 7 hours round-trip, including the snooze. The capper to the day was the fantastic dinner that night at the Jenny Lake Lodge (we didn't stay there, but had dinner there this night and it was terrific on all counts).

YNP: Again, like others, tough to nail down one specific item. Had a similar roadway buffalo experience...could have opened my window and pet one if I wanted. Sitting on the deck at the Old Faithful Inn with a hot latte' watching Old Faithful erupt in the receding daylight. Another long dayhike up Bunsen Peak to a fantastic view, then down Sheepeater Canyon to Osprey Falls. The Grand Canyon (all around it). The bison herd that surrounded us in the mist hiking along the Upper Geyser Basin (a bit scary and thrilling at the same time). Really, the entire experience was fantastic in YNP. That's not to say the same for GTNP, but the hike to Lake Solitude was such a fantastic day that I'll remember for a long, long time.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM

I just want to say that THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
LHS

I went to Yellowstone many times as a child, and the last time with my family last August.

You did ask for memories, right?

This last time we didn't see any bears, but when I was a child, the black bears were everywhere and people got out of their cars and fed them, took pictures with their arms around the bear. Crazy stuff, should have been prohited then, certainly is now.

We tent camped and could hear the bears rolling the garbage cans around. Now of course the garbage is in huge dumpsters with small openings and that doesn't happen. We did tent camp this last time and were warned the bears were around and were very careful with our food.

I've been there in August when it was snowing and the steam was so thick in the geyser basins we could hardly see anything. This past year, except for one big rainstorm, everthing was perfectly clear for miles.

My husband and I were there 2 years after the 1988 fire when it seemed the entire west side of the park had burned. This past year we were happy to see the thousands of acres of 6-12 ft high pines in the old burned areas.

I love Yellowstone. Walking the board walks through the geyser fields, smelling the hot sulfur steam, the gorgeous waterfalls in the canyon knowing no other place in the world is quite like it.

For GTNP, I think my best memory is last summer, renting canoes at Coulter Bay, husband & I in one, our daughters then 18 & 21 in the other. We canoed over to a beach & sat & skipped rocks, sunned, had a water fight on the way back...all surrounded by the extraordinary beauty of the Tetons looming over the lake.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:26 PM

I would say our first trip to the Yellowstone over 25 years ago. Our first morning out of the tent early in Pebble Creek CG. A Moose was standing in the middle of the campsite less than 10 ft from the tent.... Our second was the night of the 4th of July 1988, one of the most ferocious electrical storm we had ever seen that night, no rain. I think that was the start of the fires that later burned a good part of the Park. We have returned 20 or so times since then.. Last year was memorable as well...
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM

Like RedRock, it was my encounter with a moose, but mine was on a trail in the Grand Tetons. I was backpacking with a friend. We heard a big splash and the next thing we knew, a wet moose was standing between us on the trail. He stopped and stared at me. He had a huge rack and was no farther than 10 feet away. Good thing I was too stupid to be frightened. I was smart enough to stand still and try to look harmless. He stood there for what seemed like a few minutes, then went along his way.

We camped nearby and saw two moose swimming in the lake in the morning.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 03:19 AM

My most memorable moment is when driving through Jackson Hole and coming out the other side and you get your first look a the Tetons on your left for miles and miles. You almost have to pull over to take it in the first time, unbelievable beauty, leaves you breathless. Makes you happy we have such beauty in our country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -