Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grand Hyatt NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grand-hyatt-nyc-170737/)

fran Mar 11th, 2002 12:05 PM

Grand Hyatt NYC

Hi! I seen a lot of posts here about NYC hotels and notice that many people are staying at the Grand Hyatt in NYC as a result of bidding on Priceline. Can anyone who has stayed here comment on the hotel and their experience?

Ted Mar 11th, 2002 01:51 PM

It's a Hyatt. Great location in midtown adjacent to Grand Central Station. I doubt you can go wrong with the Grand Hyatt. (Visiting baseball teams often stay there as well.) <BR><BR>

John Mar 11th, 2002 02:02 PM

Do a search using "Grand Hyatt New York" - several useful threads from months past.

fran Mar 11th, 2002 03:37 PM

Hi John; I just followed your advice and did a "search" on this forum . . . . sounds like The Grand Hyatt is dirty, worn down and run by a crabby staff! People commented on a 4 hour (7-11 pm) check-in, dusty plastic plants and peeling wallpaper. Interesting.

marilyy Mar 11th, 2002 05:18 PM

Frankly ive found that they say that about most of the hotels in NYC...and when it isnt warranted

Duane Mar 12th, 2002 11:49 AM

Hi. I just tried to post a message but it seems to have disappeared - if it shows up twice or somewhere "wrong" I apologize. <BR><BR>I have a questions about the hotels Priceline uses. Do you think the people are getting the Grand Hyatt because it is in the condition stated above? And, do hotels give you the "shabby" rooms because you didn't pay a lot? I am reading "biddingfortravel.com" and trying to understand what I'm doing and what I can expect to "win". Thanks for helping me.

Marj Mar 12th, 2002 12:07 PM

Don't have any first hand info on the grand hyatt but do have using priceline. we've gotten great palces on priceline. Generally you end up with the most basic room (but not always). I've ended up in some very nice Marriots and Omnis in various cities. I just snagged some resorts in Az for an upcoming trip at less than 1/2 the price.

thereuare Mar 12th, 2002 01:48 PM

There is a Hotel Review section at the bottom of BiddingForTravel.com which will more accurately describe the hotel rooms given to Priceline customers as they are writtnen BY Priceline customers who have stayed at the hotel on Priceline reservations.

Postal Mar 12th, 2002 03:19 PM

I'm staying at the Millennium Broadway in NYC next week. It's a four star hotel and I got it through Priceline for $90 per night. I'll let you know if I get a "basic" room.

lyn Mar 12th, 2002 04:56 PM

Oh great; I too have reservations at the grand hyatt (through Priceline) and I just finished reading the reviews "thereuare" mentioned. This does NOT sound like a 4* hotel at all! I am a Hyatt Gold Passport member and I hoping that when I mention this I will at the very least get a room that is not moldy. I am aware that when you bid on priceline and your bid is accepted that you are stuck with what they give you and that's ok, - but I really thought it would be CLEAN! . . .not too much to ask, is it?

lavette Mar 12th, 2002 05:23 PM

Stayed at GH in Feb - great Conceierge - "Ivan" pronounced "Evon". Fine hotel - close to a lot.<BR><BR>I would stay there again.

Kathy Mar 12th, 2002 05:46 PM

This is the 3rd time I've tried to post this. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in last April and I found it to be a clean, up to date, well located hotel. I am really picky when it comes to clean and didn't find anything that bothered me.

thereuare Mar 12th, 2002 06:07 PM

I thought the reviews i read re: Hyatt were generally positive. I'm familiar with the hotel (never stayed there, but have been inside many times) and it's a very fine hotel.<BR><BR>Remember that you don't know who wrote the review! I just read on another board about a woman who was "pissed" at Hotwire because they didn't give her the suite she was promised.<BR><BR>If you have a legitimate complaint when you arrive (like mold, dirt, etc) just call the manager and ask for another room. If s/he gives you a hard time, call them up to the room and acutally SHOW them what's unacceptable. However, I don't think you're going to have any problems here.<BR><BR>One note though is that it IS a large business oriented hotel, so expect good service, but nothing "over-the-top" in the way of personalized service.<BR><BR>I've used Priceline twice for myself and twice for friends, and they've all been happy (actually, one freind is staying at their hotel tonite).<BR><BR>Bottom line is things can (and do) go wrong at a hotel of ANY level, whether you're paying rack rate or cheapie rate. With Priceline, i set my expectations just a little lower, and end up pleasantly surprised.

lyn Mar 12th, 2002 06:40 PM

Hi everyone; thanks for taking the time to post your comments, it has been helpful. "thereuare" I do agree with you - you don't know who writes the reviews of the hotels and sometimes people can get a little carried away with their complaints/expectations. I got a little nervous reading about the mold and the fixtures falling off the shower ( posted on the reviews at biddingfortravel); I was relieved to hear from those of you who had good experiences. As long as it is clean, I'm happy!

thereuare Mar 12th, 2002 07:00 PM

Just to satisfy my own curiousity, here's citysearch's user reviews of the Grand Hyatt:<BR><BR>http://newyork.citysearch.com/user_r...d=9&id=7127704

lyn Mar 12th, 2002 07:24 PM

"thereuare" - I just checked out the link you posted (citysearch) - these people sounded MUCH happier with the hotel than one ones who posted at "biddingfortravel.com" Thanks!

Lori May 9th, 2002 09:58 AM

I have a reservation at the Grand Hyatt for Memorial weekend at $75 per night through priceline. After staying in some DUMPY Euro-style hotels for a similar price, my expectations of any hotel room are not very high. Previously, I used Priceline for a December stay in NYC, and received the W New York on Lexington - I was more than impressed. I have no doubt that my room at the Grand Hyatt will be clean and in good repair. After all, I am in the city for a fun weekend, so I don't plan on spending much time in my room.

TC May 9th, 2002 11:36 AM

Stayed at the Hyatt GC last year. Room was tiny - bath was smaller. Hallways were long and dark. Grand lobby. I would not agree that the location is great. Its rather seedy around Grand Central Station, especially at night. We had a very difficult time finding good places to eat nearby - all close very early after office workers depart. Walking across 42nd Street to the Broadway area - theaters - and back was scary at night. There are a few blocks filled with strip joints and peep shows and their clientel. Getting a cab TO the theater is impossible. You can always hop the shuttle across to Times Square station though. We did have a nice view of the Empire State building from our tiny window. I think this hotel must have lots of different rooms - some much nicer than others, hence the differing opinions of guests. Good luck.

Ross May 9th, 2002 02:13 PM

I've also stayed there with an OK room, smallish but it was more than adequate. I'd also look at the Sheraton Towers on 7th Ave. IMO, this is a much better area. If the prices are comprable, I'd go with the latter. I've used hotwire.com (but never priceline.com because I couldn't get a price accepted and got tired of fooling with it all). It does sound like some people are doing well with priceline.com. Personally, I like hotwire.com idea's better, pick the location you want and they give you the rock bottom price without all that bidding hassle. By the way, if your price is not accepted you have to wait 72 hours to rebid again at a higher price....requires more patience than I have. Good Luck and I hope you get just what you want! Ross

Lyn May 9th, 2002 04:08 PM

Hi everyone - just wanted you to know that my Priceline Grand Hyatt experience was fine! I telephone the hotel a few days in advance to inquire about leaving luggage (we were planning to arrive in NYC about 6 hours before check-in!) and to request non-smoking rooms. The person who took my call was friendly & helpful. We arrived on Saturday morning and to our delight our 2 piceline rooms were ready for us (it was 9 in the morning!) our non-smoking room with a king-size bed overlooked 42nd street, our window opened plus there was an air conditioner (yes, it worked) the bath was VERY clean, as was bedding etc. There was a large closet, desk fax machine, and a small table & chair.<BR>In response to a post above, the hallways were very well lit. When I won the priceline bid I also went to the Hyatt's website and signed us up for their free "gold passport" which offred a few perks including free coffee and newspaper in the morning. Everyone at the hotel was polite and friendly and we weren't "shunned" at check-in because we were "priceline people". And, just for comparision, I bid for 2 rooms, 3 nights, at $75 per night. We stayed in late April for Saturday, Sunday & Monday nights. The area around the hotel was fine - never felt uncomfortable walking back to the hotel at night, etc. I'm sure that calling ahead and not checking in late at night worked in our favor. I would certainly use Priceline again and would also stay at the Grand Hyatt again.