Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai room availability low for April 2011?

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I've been looking at rates/availability for the Grand Hyatt Kauai for April 6-11, 2011. Last month there were quite a few room types available but as of today there is only one type shown online. I called the hotel desk and they said the same thing. Is there something going on for this time in Kauai or am I unlucky enough to be there at the same time as a convention possibly?

I did notice that renovations are going on and are supposed to be done the month prior to our visit. Could that be affecting the room availability?

Problem is that we've already secured flights using airline miles and these dates are pretty set in stone. I had my heart set on deluxe ocean rooms (I love to linger on the lanai for sunrises)!

The only advice that the hotel could give me was to book whatever was available in order to be waitlisted for an upgrade. Any advice from anyone else?
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
ghk

Aloha Cajun Storm,

Glad you commented on this, I'm not sure what caused the other room views not to appear when you tried to book but I'm glad you brought it to our attention. It is fixed now with all available room views showing (including deluxe ocean).
Enjoy your stay with us next year!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

If any real fodorites have advice let me know.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:43 AM

CS, have you checked? Is there some reason you don't think that post is legit?
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

sf7307 - first of all ghk's profile show's that he/she just signed up on fodors on the day of the posting above. Second of all the availability on the hyatt site is still the same. I took the post to be a sarcastic joke on me for possibly thinking that a company as large as the Hyatt could have a "glitch" in their system online for reservations.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM

You may be right. I was curious because sometimes hotel reps do check in here, and respond to "issues".
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:20 AM

I would go ahead and book the available room now and keep checking for upgrades. I just returned from the resort about 3 weeks ago. It is absolutely gorgeous. I had a lanai with partial ocean view, but only used it one morning for mimosas. Otherwise, the pool area was too beautiful to not be down there instead of at the room.

The cabana rentals at the pool were surprisingly inexpensive and offer you some extra privacy. If you aren't able to get your deluxe oceanfront room, I'd spring a little extra money for the ocean side cabana rentals. Your view will be better, you'll still have good privacy, and it will probably be cheaper than the difference in the cost of the room.