Search

Grand Hyatt in Kauai - renovations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:14 PM
ASL
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Hyatt in Kauai - renovations

Hi! I am new to this site and think it is great! A lot of very helpful people and info! I am planning a honeymoon this Sept and would love to stay at the Hyatt and/or Princeville. Although I am on a tight budget, I am thinking of splurging for Hyatt. However, I noticed on the Hyatt site that they have renovated and are still renovationg for the next several months. I was wondering if this causes any inconveniences there before I spend big bucks on the stay. Has anyone been there recently this summer and can give some advice on this, e.g. is there construction interference, are the beaches, restaurants and spas affected? Thanks very much!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 11:13 PM

We are staying at the Hyatt in Poipu Beach next month. The Spa was renovated last year, and it is located to the side of the hotel. Further expansion of thatched huts for massages, will not block any views, etc. and a couple years ago they put on a new roof and a crane was located on the back side of a building. The landscaping is absolutely beautiful. Hammocks in the trees for Honeymoners. If they are redecorating a floor, they usually don't book rooms on that floor until it is done.

Hope you are aware of the $249 a night Stay Certificates rates, or the Sunshine on Sale package at the Hyatt.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/C...rts.asp?navH=1
8-)
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:28 AM

MBnancy,
I read about the stay certificates and ordered 2 for 2 nights next year. I called central reserv. to check and see if they have the dates available. I even had the lady waited for me on the phone while I purchased online, thinking that's all I need to do. But the system only gave me the confirmation number, not the code needed to make the reservation. So, while you are waiting for the certificates to be mailed, the availability could have been booked by someone else. It is a great deal though, still, more than we usually would pay for lodging. Anyway, we have our dates for next year. Thanks, Fodorites for passing the information along.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:41 PM
ASL
Original Poster

Hi MBnancy,

Thanks for the reassurance about the Hyatt reconstruction and thanks for the tip about the stay certificates. I will definitely look into them. Looks like they are the best deal you can get.

Has anyone ever found a better deal for the Hyatt or Princeville or tried priceline? My only concern with priceline is that you don;t know which hotel you will get but was thinking if you select 5 star hotel you might get it?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM

I have been watching Priceline for several years, and have never seen the Kauai Hyatt show up, but have seen the one in Maui many times. We have lots of Hyatt Gold Passport points, and we book the Sunshine on Sale package, which includes a free night after 6 days and wonderful buffet breakfast every morning in the open Terrace dining room.

Someone on here posted that they asked for 5 nights Stay Certificates, I believe, even though the web site says you can stay three nights at that price. This is where a case of asking for more nights doesn't hurt. It worked for them.

ASL, better look into it fast. I understand the Hyatt is sold out for July and Aug.
8-)
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
ASL
Original Poster

Hi MBnancy,

Thanks for the info! We've been procrastinating b/c we were trying to see what fits in our budget. But, I better get moving!!! I saw that most of August was booked. Do you think I will have any trouble with the stay certificates? The other fodorite mentioned that you have to wait for the certificate to be mailed and at that time availability can be gone. Also, have you ever stayed at the Princeville and do you think it is worth staying one night there? We will be in Kauai for 5 days, so was thinking 4 in Hyatt and 1 in Princeville, since I hear that is one of the best, but it is a bit out of our budget!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:44 PM

ASL,
The person who posted about the extra days with the Stay Certificates said they gave the code on the phone I thought, and they booked right away. I would call and see what you come up with. Check the hotel web site to see what it says first on availability, then phone the Stay Certificates number.

No, have not stayed at the Princeville, have just stopped there to look in Lobby. It is very European, and beautiful views. Don't know if the rooms have balconies.

This will be our fourth trip to the Poipu area of Kauai. If you book at the Hyatt, be sure to call a week or two before your wedding to tell them it is your Honeymoon. You will probably get upgraded, and Champagne and Strawberries, etc. sent to your room on arrival. Lei on arrival. It's open aired Lobby will take your breath away.

Please keep us informed of your progress, and if we can help you with any more deals.
8-)
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:45 AM

ASL,
I would recommend a stay at the Princeville, even for just a night. You can check in early and then leave late, if possible, so you will be getting two days out of it. Very beautiful! We booked the cheapest room and the view was still outstanding plus we were lucky enough to get a balcony! If you book through Starwood Preferred (free program) you can usually get 35% off the price but this place books up very fast. I'd hurry!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM
ASL
Original Poster

Thanks MBnancy and Ashley24 for your advice! Will keep you posted! Only 2 months to go!!!

MBnancy, keep me posted on your stay in Kauai next month as well! Take care.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Our agent pushed Poipu all the time, but did my own research and decided on the Hyatt for a couple nights and then the Princeville. You will not have seen the perfect Kauai unless you round the bend on the north shore and take in the view. It is spectacular. My husband could not understand why we had just spent 3 nights at Poipu, upon arriving here. The 6th floor rooms have balconies, I believe..ask.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Oh, yes, and become a Starwood member as it entitles you to a free room upgrade, I think...Bathrooms are intriguing(i.e., you can take in the view as you have a bath or shower, but no one can take in your view..ha,ha)
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:00 AM
ASL
Original Poster

Has anyone been able to get the Princeville for $275? I thought I saw a posting that said that but could not find it again and could not find that price/deal anywhere.

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:11 PM

ASL,

My wife, and 15month old daughter stayed at the Hyatt in May. The only renovations that I could see was heading down toward the spa, which, as someone already pointed out, is off of the main hotel lobby.The restaurants are not affected by the renovations at all. If you didn't read about them, you would never know they were doing anything work there.
I would personally recommend the Hyatt over Princeville for the simple fact that the Hyatt is on the "sunny side" of the island and Princeville is on the north shore, where they are known to have more rain. Don't get me wrong, Princeville looks beautiful, but my wife and I stayed at the Hyatt on our honeymoon in '01 and have returned twice to the Hyatt. Plus, as stated by MBnancy, the sunshine on sale is a great deal, with free breakfast. Good luck with the wedding and have fun on the honeymoon!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:53 PM

Katana, we are getting two connecting rooms in a couple weeks at the Hyatt, as we are taking our 14 mo. old grandchild and her parents! Did you feed your daughter off your plate for the buffet and were they cool with that and did they have high chairs?
8-)
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
ASL
Original Poster

Katana,
Thanks for the info. I am excited to see the Grand Hyatt - only a little over a month to go! We booked 4 nights at the Hyatt in Kauia using the stay certificates ($249) thanks to MBnancy's tip and 1 night in Princeville(we could only afford 1 night!).

Now we need to book our Maui and Oahu hotels... Anyone know if the stay certificates apply to maui and if we can combine it with the free breakfast and 6th night free? We did not want to spend as much on hotels in maui so we can spend it more on the restaurants and activities in maui. Any suggestions for best value/deals hotels for honeymoon in maui?
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 10:23 PM

Go to Hyatt's web site and find the information for each hotel. I think the Stay Certificates are good at each hotel. Congrats for asking for 4 nights in Kauai at the Hyatt. The Breakfast Buffet and free night are called the Sunshine on Sale Package at each hotel.
8-)