Best places to move to Florida?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on moving to Florida with my husband and 2 kids and also I have a horse. So I am wondering what is the best place that would offer low crime rates, enough land for my horse, and a good school district for my kids. I would prefer to stay the west side of the state because I have heard that the west is better. So if people could help me on this I would appreciate it!!
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Have you done any research of your own at all? I ask because every winter, people who live in cold climates daydream about moving to Florida and come here to indulge in wishful thinking. There is nothing wrong with that at all--really, it's fine.

But, me, I am not going to spend time giving specific recommendations any more unless the poster seems serious about moving. And no offense, you don't sound like you've given this more than a moment's thought.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Yes I have given this a thought I come down to Florida every year during its hot months. I usually go to Orlando, The Villages, and I went to Vero beach. And yes I am serious.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 02:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What you may have "heard" about the West Coast being "better" depends on exactly what things really matter to you.

Are you aware of the costs of living in Florida to include the property tax and auto insurance rates as well as the hazard and wind insurance rates (depending on whether or not you are planning to buy a place to live vs. renting)?
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 04:03 AM

My friend who rescues horses lives in Palm City.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 04:28 AM

I have a terrible connection so I will try to get back on later.

I am currently in Cedar Key as far west as you ca go in Florida, and I have just returned from the Big Bend Area.

I agree that you need to look west of I 75, probably north of Dunellon, and at least fifty miles from Ocala, which is the heart of horse country but they are thoroughbred horses, and land is wildly expensive. You see wooden or plastic horse fencing many miles west of I 75 on Us 29 ( or is it 27?).

There is plenty of grassland north and west of this but not much of a way to earn a living unless you have useful rural or small town skills like nursing or welding. Many, many women are working less than minimum wage jobs waiting on tables and are glad to have them. I am guessing it is worse for men from what I see: people selling boiled peanuts all day by the side of the road or running permanent flea markets out of the back of their pickups.

I can't comment on schools in this area, but my guess is that many of them are not great. There is great pressure to hold down taxes.

Finally, you need to google or talk to your vet about insect and disease threats to horses in FL. We couldn't sit ou last night because it was warm and no-see-ums were biting. march 4.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 04:54 AM

Uh, what about a job and work. Doesn't that play a major part of where to live?
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 04:57 AM

I'm not sure why you think the west side is "better" but I won't get into that debate.

The statistical fact is that most of the better school districts are on the east side of FL (if you include Oviedo, which is near Orlando), mainly between St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral. Crime rates are kind of all over the place and higher in the big cities, as you might expect.

Interesting that you didn't mention employment opportunities.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 05:45 AM

Feedback from the original poster would be helpful right now.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 11:20 AM

Wellington, Florida, attracts a lot of horse people.

https://www.wellingtonfl.gov/community/equestrian.html
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 12:00 PM

There are horse people (Myopia Hunt Club, Windsor Polo) and there are people who have a horse.

My response assumed the OP was the latter, but Dukey is right, we need more information from the OP.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 02:30 PM

I am currently in Cedar Key as far west as you ca go in Florida, and I have just returned from the Big Bend Area.

The Perdido River (near where Dyas Creek empties into it) is the farthest west you can go in Florida. Practically speaking, Perdido Key is the farthest-west location most people are likely to visit.

And who moved the Big Bend area to the east of Cedar Key??

Old Mar 6th, 2014, 02:12 AM

I gather the OP decided to move elsewhere.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 02:15 AM

Sorry, never post when you are tired.

I was thinking that Cedar Key is about as far west as you can go in the cattle country of FL. I meant tell the OP not to be thinking about traditional FL beaches, and just slid off into a nap!

I don't get the bit about Big Bend being east, ' cause the part I was in took me to Apalachicola and etc. I should have the trip report up this weekend.

It was an interesting trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Like some of the other posters commented, you are vague about budget and other things. If you want enough land for horses in a good school district area, you might be looking at million and multi million dollar homes. However, there are many schools offering a good education that don't fall into the category of the highest performing schools. It has to be a good fit for your family and your kids (but I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you do not know).

Anyhow, you might want to check out Alva, Florida. It has a rural feel but is so close to Fort Myers that you are not in the sticks. Alva is part of the Lee County School District. You would have to do your research and really understand the school choice process if you ever considered this district.

I also have some knowledge of Naples. There are properties with land large enough for horses in an area called the Estates. It is generally not regarded as the most desirable school zone of Naples, but that may be more image than substance, who knows? There are also stables near the Pine Ridge area of Naples. Super expensive, highly desirable schools.

When you are out of gated communities, you need to consider issues of well water.

Good luck. I'm not the biggest Florida fan. Have you considered Pennsylvania?
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Oh and by the way, the West side is less congested, more midwestern. The East side is more similar to the northeast of the U.S. Neither is better or worse, the east just seems a little more developed. That brings both pros and cons.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 02:21 AM

Is Michigander still around or are we talking to ourselves?
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 04:07 AM

Maybe she became a horse person and moved to Wellington. She is at the polo match now and too busy to respond!
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 06:42 AM

The whole concept of "I hear the West is better" but not asking "where should I go visit to decide if I like it?", but rather "where should I move to?" is all a little too bizarre for me. It's not unlike a friend of mine who once said "I'd LOVE to LIVE in Houston". A number of us said, "why?" and he replied as if it made perfect sense, "because I've never been there."
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Where should they visit? Like take your pick all the way up and down the coast. It isn't as if all the areas are exactly alike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -