Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grand Central to dock...taxi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grand-central-to-dock-taxi-613852/)

tahiti070904 May 8th, 2006 07:06 AM

Grand Central to dock...taxi?

Hi - hoping someone can help me decide if I can take the train in from CT and then a taxi to the docks for our cruise this friday. I looked up the addresses online and it looks like it's only 2 miles apart. Any idea how long of a taxi ride that is? The address is 711 12th ave. at 55th st. Thanks so much!

MFNYC May 8th, 2006 07:12 AM

WHat time of day? If no traffic at all, it can be done in 10 minutes. With typical daily traffic, about 20-30 min. If there is a street closing for some reason en route and things get really backed up or, if it's in the heat of rush hour, it could be 45 minutes.

tahiti070904 May 8th, 2006 07:13 AM

Thanks! It would be this Friday at around noon or 1 and again on saturday the 20th in the morning (around 10 maybe). Can you tell me what a typical fare is as I'm debating if the cost of a taxi and train will be a lot less than paying 180 to park for the week.

MFNYC May 8th, 2006 07:25 AM

Those times shouldn't be too bad. The cab fare is based on distance and time (sitting in traffic runs up the meter). With tip figure probably somewhere around $10.

tahiti070904 May 8th, 2006 07:30 AM

Great! thanks so much, I wasn't sure if it could end up being 40 each way if we got stuck in traffic, but seems like my estimate was way high.

MFNYC May 8th, 2006 08:02 AM

it would not be $40 even with heavy traffic....not even close!

HowardR May 8th, 2006 08:30 AM

$10 tops for the cab ride....and that would have to be very, very heavy traffic.

tahiti070904 May 8th, 2006 09:26 AM

Will it be hard to get a taxi back from the dock on 12th on a saturday?

mclaurie May 8th, 2006 10:21 AM

If you're worried about getting a cab when you return, maybe order a car service to pick you up?

carmellimo.com
telavivlimo.com
1800mycrown.com

mclaurie May 8th, 2006 10:22 AM

I should add you might have to pay substantially more than a taxi fare if you order a car service since the trip isn't very far/costly.

ggreen May 8th, 2006 04:17 PM

I don't think you should have a problem getting a cab mid-morning on a Saturday; that area has a lot of stuff going on with the cruise ship docks, the Intrepid museum, etc., plus you might be able to hail an empty cab right on 12th Avenue (a major thoroughfare that feeds into the West Side Highway). Traffic on the west (river) side of 12th Ave will be heading downtown, which is the direction you want to get from 55th Street down to 42nd Street and across to Grand Central (generally speaking).

Worst case scenario, I would think the cruise ship office would have the number for a car service, but as already posted, they will be much more expensive.

BTW, my sister has taken the train from New Haven a number of times. She said there's a parking lot slightly off-site that is inexpensive, and there are express train Metro North options from there... (I think about $12pp for the train).