Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it get too cold by the first week of November to really enjoy these parks? My wife and two daughters ages 10 and 12 are looking to take a trip next November to these parks. We are not afraid of a little cold weather, but I don't want the cold to be a distraction from enjoying the sites. Anyone visit at this time of year before? Thanks.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I was in bryce at the start of June. My second day there it drizzled for a few minutes and it turned to snow. Just a dusting.

I have to believe that at 8,500 feet of elevation, Bryce may be interesting (white) in November.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:07 AM

Does it get too cold by the first week of November to really enjoy these parks?

Maybe snow at Bryce, which is around 8,400 ft, no doubt cold at night but maybe clear skies with day time highs in the 50's or so. Usually this is a good time to go though.

GC south rim (north rim services closed, road will be closed after 1st snowstorm) is around 7,000 ft so not quite as much chance of snow and is usually pleasant in early Nov, Zion is even lower and early Nov is a great time for fall colors.

If it's too cold at Bryce just move to lower elevations.

Bill
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:46 AM
TheWeasel

<We are not afraid of a little cold weather, but I don't want the cold to be a distraction from enjoying the sites.>

It's all relative - depends on what you consider cold and how tolerant you are of cool temps. Look at the nps.gov websites for each park to get an idea of their average temps around then, and compare it to what you're used to. I was perfectly comfortable at the S. Rim last November, but I'm from Minnesota so I'm used to much colder temps than that.

The road to GC N. Rim may still be open but will be colder than the S. Rim. If it's closed, the S. Rim is a several hour drive away.

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

I'm from NJ. It doesn't get as cold as Minnesota but we do get our share of pretty cold weather ;-)

Thanks for the info. Maybe for this trip we'll paly it safe and just do the Grand Canyon and Zion.

My yougest daughter is an avid horseback rider. I think they do trail riding into November at Zion.

So if we don't do Bryce I'll just have to spend a little more time in Vegas