Grand Canyon with my Mom (age 89)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2020, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother wants to take my Mom on a week long vacation to the Grand Canyon probably flying into Las Vegas. My mother is in fairly good health but would do best just walking to vistas or short paved loop trails.
- what time of year would be best to avoid crowds?
- how much time should they plan for the Grand Canyon
- suggestions for other places to visit (Sedona, Hoover Dam?)

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 06:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"- what time of year would be best to avoid crowds?"

It is pretty much crowded year round but that shouldn't stop you. Stay at the rim - no need to walk any major distances at all. There are shuttle buses that cover the entire rim and stop at every scenic overlook. When I went with my cousin (quite a bit younger than your mom but serious sciatica so not terribly mobile) and she managed to see just about every thing - just didn't walk down into the Canyon at all (I only went down maybe 100 feet below the rim)

I'd look at late Spring or October-ish for nicer weather. I can't imagine Sedona would be that enjoyable -- but staying at the Lodge in Zion could be fun. They again have a shuttle that travels all along the valley floor. On the same trip we stayed 2 nights in Zion and my Cousin didn't hike or even take any long walks whereas I did. But she enjoyed just sitting on the room balcony in the glorious setting, and hanging around the Lodge.

Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 06:05 AM

Your mother and brother would be best served by an organized group tour that is packaged to include important sites and activities as well as transportation and lodging... try a travel agent or Google Grand Canyon tours.... its worth the extra money in this case... believe me... I've done this...
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 07:36 AM

I personally would not recommend a group/coach tour for an 89 yo. Yes -- all transport etc is provided. But they make no concession for personal needs. If one isn't up to 6 or 8 hours on the bus - too bad.
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 08:21 AM

I totally agree with janisj, spring or fall with lodging on the rim. If they say they are full, take the phone number and keep calling. People make reservations a year in advance and cancel when they find they can not make the trip.
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:49 AM

Perhaps I should clarify... no one should spend 6 to 8 hours on a bus...I am talking about a Trafalgar or Collette style higher end tour... they include lunches, special tours, decent accommodations, baggage handling, airport transfers, some buses and side trip options... plenty of bathroom stops and peeing on the bus for mom...
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 04:22 PM

I am talking about a Trafalgar or Collette style higher end tour... they include lunches, special tours, decent accommodations, baggage handling, airport transfers, some buses and side trip options... plenty of bathroom stops and peeing on the bus for mom...

But STILL 6 to 8 hours butts in seats on the bus many days. The distances are so vast that happens even on higher end tours (I don't think I'd classify Trafalgar as higher end though)
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 04:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We went at the end of May last year. We stayed in a cabin by the rim, (booked 9 months prior) and it wasn't particularly crowded. We were close enough to the rim to be able to see the sunset and get up real early for the sunrise the next day. We didn't do the shuttle buses but they are a great idea.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 01:26 PM

My experience taking my mother on trips (including Grand Canyon) as she aged guides my response. It may be more than you asked for.
Consider not only crowds, but temperatures, especially if combining LV with GC. Hydration can be a problem for elderly visitors in the heat and dry air.
My mother had more difficulty with the air travel/security/delays etc. than our driving tours in which I had more control. She could do shuttle bus if handicapped accessible and seating available.
As my mother's mobility declined, I found places to rent a small wheelchair at our destination--some museums and parks have them; medical supply stores; drug stores. I would put it in the rental vehicle to use at destinations that could not provide one. So, if you brother is physically able to lift chair in/out and rents vehicle he can put in, that reduces concern about her overdoing it, uneven pathways, etc. My mother didn't think she needed one, but after accepting the rides several times at the airport, she got used to the idea.
We had a traveling agreement/arrangement where we stayed longer in each destination than she would sightsee, so I would get up early and out, then return to spend most of the day with her, then again while she rested in the room I would continue sightseeing, go on the trails she couldn't etc.

As for GC, I took my mother to the north rim as part of a trip (not with LV). It was much quieter and still had nice views. For South Rim, I second accommodations in the park or in town by entrance to give most flexibility for short visits to rim vistas early and late in day when less crowded. However, much park lodging is older, so check accessibility. My mother was happy with one day in park to see views, sit, eat a meal. I think on the South Rim she would have enjoyed two days, but no more because she would not have been using any trails, going on ranger talks, etc. I think GC is always busy at spring break and summer school vacations. Early May is a possibility. Perhaps fall is quieter but not too cold. Maybe a telephone call to the park would give you an idea of visitor stats by month.

In addition to GC, my mother loved LV. Back then all the slot machines were coins and she loved to put in the coins and press the button (pulling lever too hard for her). She loved the lights, noise, air conditioning, and seating. She wanted to see a "traditional" show with showgirls in feathers. I found one then, but I don't know if any are still running. I drove up and down the strip so she could see the lights (not fun for me) and I used the wheelchair to take her to see the fountains and some other sights that otherwise required too much walking. Challenging with the sidewalk crowds, but doable.

I wouldn't recommend Hoover Dam unless she has a wheelchair. The views from the dam require walking and you can't see much driving over the dam. I wouldn't think she could do a dam tour.

My mother did enjoy the scenic drive into Sedona, but without being very mobile, one half day there was enough.

She also enjoyed the petrified forest where we got out of the car in a few places to look at the trees.

My mother also enjoyed driving in/around Zion (we combined with LV). Again, half to one day was enough for her to see the views.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 04:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Late spring ,after March to avoid possible snow, would be good. Our kids went in March one time and couldn’t see anything as the fog was so thick.
Sedona is stunning. We go every year or so to visit friends and it continues to amaze us.It would be nice to combine with the GC.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not only the temperature and the crowds, but also the elevation if your mother is not used to it.. The south rim is at 6,800 ft.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Barbara
Not only the temperature and the crowds, but also the elevation if your mother is not used to it.. The south rim is at 6,800 ft.
Agree. DH had a great deal of trouble with being short of breath at the North Rim.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 08:20 AM

There is a lovely scenic train ride from Jerome which is near Sedona that we enjoyed very much.