Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   grand canyon trip itenerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grand-canyon-trip-itenerary-977943/)

casjay May 14th, 2013 05:41 PM

grand canyon trip itenerary

We are going to the Grand Canyon for the Star Party and are uncertain what else we should be sure to do while we are out there. We have 2 nights reserved at the South Rim (Thursday and Friday) and we are flying in and out of Phoenix. Right now we are staying in Sedona when we first arrive for 4 nights we have an open night and then to the Canyon and the last night in Phoenix so we can catch an early flight out. Things like the indian cave ruins hold interest as do a float trip (no big rapids). Can we do that easily from Sedona or should we spend some time somewhere else and where should we stay the night before Grand Canyon? Light hiking would be okay with the group and am a little concerned I will od quickly on the red rock scenery since it is not really my thing.

sassy27 May 14th, 2013 06:11 PM

I did a similar trip 3 years ago. Spent the first three nights in Sedona and took a pink jeep tour, the broken arrow and scenic rim tour, trolley tour, montezuma castle and well, slide rock, airport at sunset and evening night tour. It wasn't too rushed and more on the relaxing side. Three nights were spent at the Grand Canyon. The main route to GC was closed so we detoured around and stopped at meteor crater and dinosaur tracks in Tuba City. We sort of got bored at The Grand Canyon but we are not hikers. We took the smooth water float trip which we didn't care for it but we must be odd. So many other people love it. We took the shuttle to each stop and took in the scenery. We then headed to Phoenix for the last two nights as we were meeting up with friends that live there. I wish I could give you suggestions on a one night stop over . Maybe Page? I was just there on another trip and the route on 89 south of Page is closed so if you head there, expect to add some additional time to your commute. This might not be a good option if you are doing the float trip from Page but you can look down to know what you can expect from the float trip and check out antelope canyon.

emalloy May 14th, 2013 07:00 PM

There are several sites to see ruins near Sedona. Some of the pink jeep tours take you to ones that are on unpaved roads. Montezuma's castle and well is close by. If you go east of Flagstaff, Walnut Canyon is nice to climb up to and you can go into the dwellings there. It does involve climbing a bit.

We enjoyed the half day smooth water float trip from Page and the trip into Antelope Canyon. I have some pictures of these at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009 in the 2008 set if you want to see what it's like.

When you go to Grand Canyon, do take a hike down into it at least a short way. Bright Angel trail is nice for a look from a bit down.

jayne1973 May 15th, 2013 05:36 AM

Jerome is a fun and quirky old mining town aboutu 30 miles from Sedona that you might enjoy.

RVvagabond May 15th, 2013 07:30 PM

Wupatki National Monument.
It is a driving tour although in spring and fall they offer a guided 7 mile one way hike to Crack In Ruins

Indian Ruins - highly recommend
http://www.nps.gov/wupa/planyourvisit/index.htm

Enjoy
P.S. Flagstaff has excellent microbreweries

mlgb May 17th, 2013 10:04 AM

Wupatki is the best of the Indian ruins in the area.

MikePinTucson May 17th, 2013 12:21 PM

I would add Page for the night between Sedona and the Grand Canyon. On the way there, you can do the loop drive through Sunset Crater / Wupatki National Monument. At Page visit Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend. The following morning you could do a half day float trip, then head to the GC.

As others have mentioned, close to Sedona are Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well, and Walnut Canyon just east of Flagstaff. In Clarkdale, you can also visit the Tuzigoot Indian ruins.