Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grand Canyon to Seattle in 7-10 days in late Aug/ early Sep (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grand-canyon-to-seattle-in-7-10-days-in-late-aug-early-sep-949177/)

theclipper Sep 3rd, 2012 03:39 PM

Grand Canyon to Seattle in 7-10 days in late Aug/ early Sep

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are planning to do a road trip starting at the Grand Canyon and ending back home in Seattle. We will have 7-10 days for the trip. It looks like we will be doing this either the last week of September or at the start of October. I'm completely unfamiliar with the area and was hoping for suggestions on spots to hit at this time of year. I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance.

Thanks so much!

theclipper Sep 3rd, 2012 03:40 PM

I should have added that we both enjoy hiking and outdoor activity. We would like to camp a night or two if the weather permits at this time of year.

happytrailstoyou Sep 3rd, 2012 05:12 PM

This possible itinerary will take you to some of the most beautiful places in the USA: Zion NP, Death Valley NP, Yosemite NP, Sonoma Valley (Napa Valley or San Francisco), Redwoods in Northern California, and the Oregon Coast.

Our favorite places to stay on the Oregon Coast are Brookings, Bandon, Yachats, Newport, and Cannon Beach.

HTTY

tomfuller Sep 3rd, 2012 05:31 PM

Is this with your own vehicle starting at home in Seattle?
Where will you be before getting to the Grand Canyon?
BTW I'm going to be in northern Arizona the last week of September myself. I have a week of free lodging in exchange for some work for the Kaibab NF.
Do you want to go home by way of Death Valley and Yosemite or by way of Susanville and Crater Lake?

theclipper Sep 4th, 2012 03:22 PM

Hi all,

First and foremost, thanks for the replies!

I will be driving from Michigan to the Grand Canyon. There I will be meeting my girlfriend to head from the Grand Canyon back home to Seattle.

I'm not sure how I want to go home yet. I've always wanted to see Yosemite but I thought it might be too late in the year to see it? I'm certainly open to suggestions as to which way would be favorable.

Thanks again for any and all advice!

sludick Sep 4th, 2012 04:01 PM

Yosemite in October is beautiful. Just think about the driving distances on your trip. You don't want your memories to be all about the time you spend in the car looking out of cool places you wish you had time to stop and explore.

tomfuller Sep 4th, 2012 06:25 PM

October is not too late for Yosemite. A few years ago, DW and I were there in the first week of November and the weather was great.
From Michigan- St. Louis (see the arch) - Hayes Kansas - Glenwood Springs Colorado - Moab Utah (Arches & Canyonlands)- Monument Valley - Grand Canyon South Rim - Las Vegas - Death Valley - Tioga Pass to Yosemite - San Francisco - Redwood NP - Florence Oregon, Astoria Oregon - Seattle (home).
That is 8 days after leaving the Grand Canyon.